Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sound of the South halftime show -UAB game - Aug. 31, 2

Well, let me reiterate that the kids did a really terrific job. I only offered what I did as constructive criticism. Not certain I can chalk it up to nerves entirely as comparing this rehearsal vid to the game show, it's the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY3S9juR3Ls

The most notably rushed difference is in the triplets before the trill. Definitely faster (as in factual, not opinion) from this example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjPk0aZfEQ4

Nor is this year's stylistically similar to say, the 1988 taped version. These are subtle differences that I hear every year and it's actually nice to hear how each season's will be interpreted. So no, I do not think it's a carbon copy from year to year since 1965, nor should it be. I think every drum major and band should have their own creative style and flair - not a conscious thing but it's just the way it turns out. I know the years I played are just a bit different here and there from this years. Again, you don't have to agree, and I'm ok with it if you don't. You're entitled to your own opinion. That's not to say that you are entitled to your own truth and as you can hear from this example above, there are some differences which reside in the area of fact, not opinion. Whether or not they are desirable differences is a matter of opinion. I'm ok if you have yours. Can you be ok if I have mine? :)

About the run off the field. I knew there was some reason and a good one even. I just thought it was a bit jarring to see, legit reason or no.

Again, it's a good halftime show and the kids are doing a terrific job. I just think there have been better years music arrangement-wise. I admit I have to say the same about the years I was there - there are other SOTS years that top that. I wasn't wild about the songs in the years I marched.

To each his own and welcome to the board!
    "We are Trojans One and All."

"We need you to work hard to make plans to attend and when you come remember: Be Early, Be Proud, Be Loud and Be a Trojan!"--John Hartwell, 7-9-13

Thanks! But I'm not new. I check the board a lot but rarely post. Take care!

Quote Originally Posted by tntrojan View Post
    Thanks for posting SoFla. So does anyone know what happened to the "pit?" Why did we do away with it? Seems odd since every h.s. band I see still have them. Was this a cost cutting move?
    Pit was cut a few years ago, and I believe the reason was cost.

I definitely believe the band is better with it, so I miss it. :/
    *~*Go Troy!*~*

Quote Originally Posted by SOTSButterfly View Post
    Pit was cut a few years ago, and I believe the reason was cost.

I definitely believe the band is better with it, so I miss it. :/
    Yea it was cost, all the old pit equipment was beyond its last leg, due to the harsh conditions pit equipment is subjected to over the years. If I remember what I heard correctly to get new quality pit equipment would have taken most of, if not the entire band budget for the year. That combined with standard up keep of the percussion section as a whole and transportation cost put it on the chopping block.
    I am what I am and thats all I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritual_Trojan View Post
    Yea it was cost, all the old pit equipment was beyond its last leg, due to the harsh conditions pit equipment is subjected to over the years. If I remember what I heard correctly to get new quality pit equipment would have taken most of, if not the entire band budget for the year. That combined with standard up keep of the percussion section as a whole and transportation cost put it on the chopping block.
    Wish I had the funds to sponsor new equipment for them. You'd think they'd be able to find someone who could.
    *~*Go Troy!*~*

The tempo in the Fanfare was addressed last night at rehearsal!

Here's to the school we love... GO TROY!

Transportation costs for the PIT technically can't be an excuse any more if the full band doesn't travel to away games.

I am a former PIT player and I really miss hearing it. I think drum solos are lacking without them. 30 cymbals are too many for me. But, I am biased. lol

However, if I won the lottery I would buy new PIT equipment, along with building a parking deck somewhere.
    "Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that." GO TROJANS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SOTSAlumBigGuns View Post
    Transportation costs for the PIT technically can't be an excuse any more if the full band doesn't travel to away games.

I am a former PIT player and I really miss hearing it. I think drum solos are lacking without them. 30 cymbals are too many for me. But, I am biased. lol

However, if I won the lottery I would buy new PIT equipment, along with building a parking deck somewhere.
    I think the choice was made when the full band did travel to several away games a year.
    I am what I am and thats all I am.

Back in my band days we had to cut the halftime shows short and book it off the field because of time restrictions. The shows (at least back then) were always booked too long. We would learn about four songs and if we were lucky we would have enough time to perform 3 of them. My guess is the Sound of the South's shows were geared towards high school marching festivals and not towards college football halftimes.

Thread Information