Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sound of the South halftime show -UAB game - Aug. 31, 2

Default Sound of the South halftime show -UAB game - Aug. 31, 2

Here's a video of the entire Sound of the South halftime show, made from the Stadium Club seats during the UAB game on Aug. 31, 2013.

Watch it in full screen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1VI...e_gdata_player

Awesome video!! Thanks for posting!

The crowd reaction always gets me pumped up on the field!

Here's to the school we love... GO TROY!

Those kids worked their butts off and should be very proud of themselves. This has nothing at all to do with them or with their performances.

I post this, realizing that it may not be overly popular to cast a critical eye over that which is so beloved; much like pointing out that the emperor isn't wearing any clothes. I may, after all, be the only one who feels this way and if so, I'm okay with that. There are a few things, three to be exact, that'd I wish the leadership would change.

1) The Fanfare is just way, way, way too fast. enjoyed it 40% less because I had to listen so quick. SLOW IT DOWN A FEW BPM!!!

2) Though the arrangements were good and energetic, they were so freakin' busy with lick after lick in the various instrument areas that it seemed chaotic and didn't feature the songs enough; almost like the arranger was just trying to toss in every trick in the book to make the song sizzle.

3) What's with the running off the field at the end? I'm assuming there was some reason that had to do with the show running long and that gets them off quicker than marching off but if so, I think they run long to their detriment. That looks just horrible.

Okay, sorry for the critical aspects. Hate to point out my impressions there because I run the risk of being castigated for calling into question a beloved Troy institution. It's for that fact (that it is a beloved Troy institution) that I'd really like to offer those passing thoughts in case I'm not the only one who thought that, though a good show, it could be better. FWIW.

Running off the field was because of UAB band's performance. Time constraints and what not. It doesn't look great, but you have to get off the field in time.
    Last edited by troy4ever21; 09-04-2013 at 07:07 AM.
    “You want to be a Trojan? Be a Trojan.” -Larry Blakeney

In the 15 years I have been associated with the band program, I have watched as the instructions on the fanfare have been dictated to the drum majors the same way each and every year, so I am not sure how this year's fanfare is any faster unless you mean it is faster than it was in 1965. Post-game fanfare gets the only special treatment in that the ending is usually stretched out from the woodwind trill to the end. Who knows though, you may be right - first year drum majors and the excitement of their first game - maybe they pushed it 4-6 bpm faster.

"3) What's with the running off the field at the end? I'm assuming there was some reason that had to do with the show running long and that gets them off quicker than marching off but if so, I think they run long to their detriment. That looks just horrible. "

I was not at the game, so I don't know this for sure, but I bet they tried to cram in some ceremony to honor every football player from the, (I don't know), year 1942 and every dean of the university's secretary's dog before the UAB band even was allowed to take the field. As a member of the alumni band, I have had to run off the field a few times because of that very reason. We would literally have about 5 minutes left on the clock to perform.
    Last edited by tsusax94; 09-04-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tsusax94 View Post
    "3) What's with the running off the field at the end? I'm assuming there was some reason that had to do with the show running long and that gets them off quicker than marching off but if so, I think they run long to their detriment. That looks just horrible. "

I was not at the game, so I don't know this for sure, but I bet they tried to cram in some ceremony to honor every football player from the, (I don't know), year 1942 and every dean of the university's secretary's dog before the UAB band even was allowed to take the field. As a member of the alumni band, I have had to run off the field a few times because of that very reason. We would literally have about 5 minutes left on the clock to perform.
    Surprisingly, they didn't have anything like that. I bet UAB took longer than the SOTS was expecting, and the drum major had to give a sign to book it off the field at the end. There were still about 3 minutes left of half-time, but I guess it's required to let the team have those for warm up.
    *~*Go Troy!*~*

Don't forget that these kids had been in full uniform since 2:30. First warming up on the quad and then Trojan Walk. They entered the stadium around 4:00. They could then take off jackets but they were still in the sun. My daughter had 2 bottles of water given to her. So, I don't know if they played the fanfare to fast or not, what I do know is the avg fan has no idea the level of work and dedication these band kids have. So sit back and relax, and enjoy the sound of the south. If any of us on this board wore those uniforms that long in the heat, not only would be not have made it to half time, we would be in Edge Memorial with IV's hooked up.
    Lifetime T-Club Member
    Trojan Warrior
    Proud Former Troy Football Player
    Proud Troy Alumni
    Proud Troy Dad

Quote Originally Posted by trojaninvestment View Post
    Those kids worked their butts off and should be very proud of themselves. This has nothing at all to do with them or with their performances.

I post this, realizing that it may not be overly popular to cast a critical eye over that which is so beloved; much like pointing out that the emperor isn't wearing any clothes. I may, after all, be the only one who feels this way and if so, I'm okay with that. There are a few things, three to be exact, that'd I wish the leadership would change.

1) The Fanfare is just way, way, way too fast. enjoyed it 40% less because I had to listen so quick. SLOW IT DOWN A FEW BPM!!!

2) Though the arrangements were good and energetic, they were so freakin' busy with lick after lick in the various instrument areas that it seemed chaotic and didn't feature the songs enough; almost like the arranger was just trying to toss in every trick in the book to make the song sizzle.

3) What's with the running off the field at the end? I'm assuming there was some reason that had to do with the show running long and that gets them off quicker than marching off but if so, I think they run long to their detriment. That looks just horrible.

Okay, sorry for the critical aspects. Hate to point out my impressions there because I run the risk of being castigated for calling into question a beloved Troy institution. It's for that fact (that it is a beloved Troy institution) that I'd really like to offer those passing thoughts in case I'm not the only one who thought that, though a good show, it could be better. FWIW.
    1. I know both drum majors personally, and they may have been nervous, but the Fanfare during half time is generally a few clicks faster to deal with time.

2. This was the first game, it's clean, but it's not squeaky clean, it'll clean up some more as the year goes on.

3. The reason they ran off is for time and they don't have the closer on the field yet. With a ten minute half time show, it's a lot easier to get off the field. The DM's generally make the call according to the time on the clock.

Opinions are always welcome, as far as I know, and you voiced them well. When you criticize everyone for everything in a negative way, that's when most people start getting mad.
    "We are Trojans One and All."

"We need you to work hard to make plans to attend – and when you come remember: Be Early, Be Proud, Be Loud and Be a Trojan!"--John Hartwell, 7-9-13

Thanks for posting SoFla. So does anyone know what happened to the "pit?" Why did we do away with it? Seems odd since every h.s. band I see still have them. Was this a cost cutting move?

Thread Information