Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Band travel update

Default Band travel update

Update:

All away games are now pep band only. Still no final word on whether or not we will travel to Duke. There is a possibility that we will be an exhibition band at a high school marching band festival during the Duke game (this is how we recruit).

Here's to the school we love... GO TROY!

No full band on away games? How strapped for cash is the band? I figured we'd send the full SOTS to Mississippi State, Georgia State and Ole Miss at the least. Those are one day trips if you push it hard enough.

Even one day trips cost 50K plus, then you have to figure in costs for pep band, basketball pep band, and recruitment trips
    "We are Trojans One and All."

"We need you to work hard to make plans to attend – and when you come remember: Be Early, Be Proud, Be Loud and Be a Trojan!"--John Hartwell, 7-9-13

No Georgia State either? Disappointed.

We used to take pride being one of the only Sun Belt bands that sends their full band to away games.
    “You want to be a Trojan? Be a Trojan.” -Larry Blakeney

Quote Originally Posted by tntrojan View Post
    No Georgia State either? Disappointed.
    Our original plan was to take full band to GSU, but I believe that changed due to that game being their HC game.

Unfortunately, money runs everything in the world today. It's cheaper for us to take THREE pep band trips than it is for us to take ONE full band trip. I wish we could take the full band to EVERY game, but if the funds aren't there, we can't.

When the AD requests the pep band be at nearly every game, including games that had no type of bands making the trip originally, options begin to run out - so does the money. SEC teams charge the band for tickets to the games - somewhere around $50 per seat and the full band would require around 425 tickets or so. That makes those games difficult.

The football team does tend to play a bit better when the band is there. I just wish it was the full band making a lot of the trips because that is nice representation of the University. Plus, I'd love to blow the fans away in Oxford, Starkville, and Durham.

My first year '06 in band the full band went to four away games plus the bowl game. It was an awesome experience and the team does seem to pay better with an extra couple hundred rabid fans in the stands.

I think some of the things that have changed from mostly full band to mostly/exclusivity pep band trips are:
    1) More people in the band. More people means more food cost, per diem, more ticket cost.
    2) Costs for charter buses go up with fuel cost and if I'm not mistaken usually stay up even after fuel goes down.
    3) A few years ago some of Troy Universities state funding was cut which means that there was less of the pie to go around.

All that being said, even the Pep band can blow away most college bands.
    I am what I am and thats all I am.

Thread Information