Thread: Charleston and State of SC Making Pitch to Sunbelt...for The Citadel?

Hybrid View

Default Charleston and State of SC Making Pitch to Sunbelt...for The Citadel?

I have heard from a reliable source that Charleston and the state of SC has/is backing a move to the SB for The Citadel.

After I stopped doubting her, I did a little research and to my surprise, they are more ready NOW, than we were when we moved.

Stadium holds 21,000. Led the SoCon in attendence in multiple years. And if Charleston/South Carolina is actually making a pitch for them as well, it might not be a bad option.

Regional Footprint
    Ton of tradition
    Nice-sized town - that supports The Citadel/obviously
    MAJOR Alumni base-$$$ and political influence. Current Director of US Olympic Committee. If you don't believe me, look it up.

Certainly, a better fit than JMU/Liberty and 1000x better than JaxSt. and I am sure Dear Leader would be all over this one.
    Last edited by WeSuck.com; 04-24-2013 at 10:07 PM.
    "Number 6"? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that one...

Baseball park rocks too...hosted SoCon Tourney 14 of16 years.

http://www.littleballparks.com/Stadi...ston_South.htm

Quote Originally Posted by WeSuck.com View Post
    Baseball park rocks too...hosted SoCon Tourney 14 of16 years.

http://www.littleballparks.com/Stadi...ston_South.htm
    But in this case, they are sharing an off-campus, minor league stadium, which is likely the biggest reason they hosted the SoCon Tourney.

That being said, I think The Citadel would be an excellent addition to the SBC. Our AD would probably think so as well, since that's his Alma Mater.
    Founding Trojan Warrior
    Trojan Warrior Council Member
    Founding Shield Society Member
    Lifetime Alumni Member
    Emerald Coast Alumni Chapter Memeber
    Pensacola Alumni Chapter Member

Quote Originally Posted by Troy87 View Post
    But in this case, they are sharing an off-campus, minor league stadium, which is likely the biggest reason they hosted the SoCon Tourney.

That being said, I think The Citadel would be an excellent addition to the SBC. Our AD would probably think so as well, since that's his Alma Mater.
    From what I read the stadium is right next door to the campus, so its not like a UA's B team deal.

Interesting too, that The Citadel is a public University, so the State does have some say in the matter. And from what I can tell-they have a tremendous amount of inffluence in Columbia.

Also, WOW! Never thought about our AD angle. Maybe there is some truth to this? I aint buying it yet, but The Citadel and Charleston make much more sense than Liberty, JMU and ETSU. I personally have fallen into the Lamar camp, but would not be unhappy at all to welcome the Bulldogs into the SB.

Being a Military School could be a draw from Ft. Rucker etc. Might be a good option!!!
    Last edited by dgoebel; 04-25-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    Lifetime T-Club Member
    Trojan Warrior
    Proud Former Troy Football Player
    Proud Troy Alumni
    Proud Troy Dad

Quote Originally Posted by dgoebel View Post
    Being a Military School could be a draw from Ft. Rucker etc. Might be a good option!!!
    The more and more I look at it, the more and more I like it. Charleston would be sweet.

Wonder if there is any real interest from them???
    Last edited by WeSuck.com; 04-25-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WeSuck.com View Post
    From what I read the stadium is right next door to the campus, so its not like a UA's B team deal.

Interesting too, that The Citadel is a public University, so the State does have some say in the matter. And from what I can tell-they have a tremendous amount of inffluence in Columbia.

Also, WOW! Never thought about our AD angle. Maybe there is some truth to this? I aint buying it yet, but The Citadel and Charleston make much more sense than Liberty, JMU and ETSU. I personally have fallen into the Lamar camp, but would not be unhappy at all to welcome the Bulldogs into the SB.
    The Baseball stadium is next door, that is where I tailgated last season for the GSU @ Citadel game. Both Stadiums are nice.

Let me also say that I think there is a less than 5% chance that the Citadel is our #12 football school.
    Last edited by GaSouthern; 04-30-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Troy, James Madison, The Citadel...interesting conference shuffle
    Aa

Zing

Thread Information