Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next for the BELT: JMU out - Liberty in

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritual_Trojan View Post
    That's kind of what I was thinking. Everyone keeps saying that Liberty would be horrible to the Sunbelt because of perception. The funny part is I never see anyone post any specific things that their current administration has done.
    Just curious, could it (perceived prejudice) be just because they are a school of faith? If so, does that same perceived prejudice apply to BYU, Notre Dame, "The Catholic 7, etc.? Just wondering? I'm no Liberty fan because I don't think they bring what we need to the table but I don't hold their religious foundations and beliefs against them any more than I do BYU. Just sayin'!
    !ďWinning is not a sometime thing: itís an all the time thing. You donít win once in a while; you donít do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.Ē ó Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by redwaver View Post
    Just curious, could it (perceived prejudice) be just because they are a school of faith? If so, does that same perceived prejudice apply to BYU, Notre Dame, "The Catholic 7, etc.? Just wondering? I'm no Liberty fan because I don't think they bring what we need to the table but I don't hold their religious foundations and beliefs against them any more than I do BYU. Just sayin'!
    Well I know when Liberty first announced they were adding a football team they were drilled by the media about how a Christian school could justify playing such a violent sport. If I recall correctly Falwell Sr. said the same way the other Christian schools do and that they could knock a person on the behind, pick them up and say Jesus loves you.

All that aside what is it that you don't think they bring? That was my initial complaint is that everyone keeps emphatically saying no in various ways, but they never give any substantial reasons.
    I am what I am and thats all I am.

Well I know when Liberty first announced they were adding a football team they were drilled by the media about how a Christian school could justify playing such a violent sport. If I recall correctly Falwell Sr. said the same way the other Christian schools do and that they could knock a person on the behind, pick them up and say Jesus loves you.

All that aside what is it that you don't think they bring? That was my initial complaint is that everyone keeps emphatically saying no in various ways, but they never give any substantial reasons.
    I've just not seen any substantial success at the high test level within their division. I won't spend sleepless nights if they join but I think we need to pursue better options that might be there. I thought your concern was some "prejudicial position" they took. Did I read it wrong?
    !ďWinning is not a sometime thing: itís an all the time thing. You donít win once in a while; you donít do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.Ē ó Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by redwaver View Post
    I've just not seen any substantial success at the high test level within their division. I won't spend sleepless nights if they join but I think we need to pursue better options that might be there. I thought your concern was some "prejudicial position" they took. Did I read it wrong?
    Yea I was talking about how some SBC fans are acting prejudice towards Liberty.

Yea I was talking about how some SBC fans are acting prejudice towards Liberty.
    My bad! Misunderstood!

I don't believe that they are FBS quality and I believe that the baggage left by the elder Falwell on the university will follow it as it has in the past.
    We are with you all the way! So, get out there team and FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! Let's win to-day!!!

Just throwing my two cents in because I only live an hour away from Liberty. I would love for them to join the Sunbelt and I don't see how any school or fan could look down on this addition. Liberty is pumping more money into their school than most others and will be something to be reckoned with very soon. Driving by their campus frequiently it is very impressive to see their improvements not only in recreational aspects such as their new world class year round ski slopes but their academics are growing in leaps and bounds also. The most positive aspect for me though is being able to skip down the road right quick and watch Troy play.

Quote Originally Posted by stonewall009 View Post
    Just throwing my two cents in because I only live an hour away from Liberty. I would love for them to join the Sunbelt and I don't see how any school or fan could look down on this addition. Liberty is pumping more money into their school than most others and will be something to be reckoned with very soon. Driving by their campus frequiently it is very impressive to see their improvements not only in recreational aspects such as their new world class year round ski slopes but their academics are growing in leaps and bounds also. The most positive aspect for me though is being able to skip down the road right quick and watch Troy play.
    Most people could careless about what they are doing to improve on and off the field. The only thing that most people care about is what their former president said when he was still alive.

I'm not one of those people I would love to see liberty added to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by JPSousa1898 View Post
    I don't believe that they are FBS quality and I believe that the baggage left by the elder Falwell on the university will follow it as it has in the past.
    John, why do you feel that they're not FBS quality? Have you been to Lynchburg before? I haven't been on the board for months so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I am curious as to what is guiding your line of thinking. As someone that holds three degrees from Troy, I can remember being offended by comments that we didn't deserve to be considered a FBS school because we were a commuter school with multiple campuses and a very high online presence. Likewise, I am somewhat offended by your comments in this thread as I have earned an EdS and EdD (ABD) from Liberty. I must admit that I was apprehensive about Liberty in the beginning, but I feel that I've received a very well rounded educational experience there...just like I did at Troy. Liberty's campus in Lynchburg has more students enrolled in residency than Troy does, and overall enrollment is larger than Troy as well. Don't get me wrong...I don't equate quantity with quality by any means, but I think your perception is based upon misconceptions promoted in the news media that were most likely exaggerated at the very least.
    Rusty Courson
    Smiths Station, Alabama

"The sun never sets on Troy State" - Ralph Adams

Many people think because it is a Bible College that they will not have the tools to compete. I disagree. I think Liberty would be a good (not great) choice should that time come. I believe they have enough fan following that they would grow just like we did.

I think many are concerned they might slip a f bomb and someone will be listening......or they would be scared for the reaction they might receive. While I did not always like Dr Falwell's delivery or "all" his beliefs, I did like the fact that he never backed down from his core beliefs.

But this is an university. Not a one man show anymore.

Thread Information