Thread: Conference Realignment: Sun Belt To Lose Western Kentucky

Default Conference Realignment: Sun Belt To Lose Western Kentucky

It never ends, does it?
    Lost in the tournament madness yesterday, Western Kentucky announced that they will be leaving the Sun Belt in order to begin their athletic pursuits in Conference USA starting with the 2014 season, a move made by C-USA to replace Tulsa, who appears destined to be leaving at the same time for The Artists Formerly Known As The Big East (TAFKATBE).
    This, of course, comes only days after the Sun Belt announced that it would be adding four teams - Appalachian State and Georgia Southern for everything, Idaho and New Mexico State for football only - in order to compensate for North Texas, Middle Tennessee, and the Floridas (Atlantic and International) departing for C-USA as well.
    According to some sources, this makes Liberty much less of a long shot than Parks originally suspected as the team the Sun Belt will need to get back to an even twelve members, and James Madison has been mentioned as well. Yes, I'm as perplexed by that one as you.

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2013/...stern-kentucky

WKU is hosting a press conference at this very time to announce moving from the Belt to C-USA. Guess Benson will make the next move and pick up another FCS school ready to make the move up to FBS.

Go TROY!

Why on earth do people think that the commish is responsible for these defections? No. Control. To. Be. Had. These teams had their minds made up to move long before now. They are looking at the former conference and their contract to make a decision with old numbers. The moves net gains will be minimal, at best...

“I quit worrying about Auburn and Alabama. They’re cowards and you can print that,” he said. “Troy people would love to play them, but they’re chicken. I’m not talking about the (Alabama or Auburn) coaches and the players. I’m talking about the ones who wear the panties who make decisions.” --LB by way of the SavannahNow.com

Agreed trojanbrutha. The grass doesn't look that much greener in the new C-USA. Heck, the Belt may even have a better contract when all the dust finally settles. Attendance looks to be better with the improved regional teams. Let the new C-USA blow their budgets on travel.
    MARCH ON!

CUSA's new contract negotiations will probably still put them ahead of the SBC after it's all a done deal simply because of their basketball being stronger than ours and that's where the biggest money generator can be. But those contracts will be greatly reduced in revenue and very close to the Sun Belt But I think we will be light years ahead of them on the football side of things. If they have a better contract, it will be only by a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by troy4ever View Post
    CUSA's new contract negotiations will probably still put them ahead of the SBC after it's all a done deal simply because of their basketball being stronger than ours and that's where the biggest money generator can be. But those contracts will be greatly reduced in revenue and very close to the Sun Belt But I think we will be light years ahead of them on the football side of things. If they have a better contract, it will be only by a little bit.
    Not true. Football is still the biggest money maker. It's for that very reason the SBC invited Idaho and NMSU. Once a conference moves to 12 teams and holds a conference championship game, they get a bigger slice of the BCS pie.

Without the addition of those two teams to get the SBC to 12 teams, we would have been the only FBS conference without a championship game. So suffice it to say the commissioner is doing everything possible to maximize the revenues of the conference.

Also, by summer's end, expect the Sun Belt to be tied to 4 or 5 bowl games.
    Founding Trojan Warrior
    Trojan Warrior Council Member
    Founding Shield Society Member
    Lifetime Alumni Member
    Emerald Coast Alumni Chapter Memeber
    Pensacola Alumni Chapter Member

Quote Originally Posted by Troy87 View Post
    Without the addition of those two teams to get the SBC to 12 teams, we would have been the only FBS conference without a championship game.
    What about the Big12 (minus 2)? I look for them to add other teams but it may not be this year.

I think it is hilarious that some people post on why a school would move to Conference USA over the Sun Belt. I have to agree that I am not sure why. However, let me explain it for everyone (throw out travel budgets)

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$........... and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Troy would move to C-USA or any other conference if it means more money.

Yea, but once everything settles down, I'm not sure that C-USA will be worth more money
    "We are Trojans One and All."

"We need you to work hard to make plans to attend – and when you come remember: Be Early, Be Proud, Be Loud and Be a Trojan!"--John Hartwell, 7-9-13

very true TrojanFanatic - SBC should be just fine

Thread Information