Thread: Old Big East Decision

Default Old Big East Decision

A decision could come soon on Tulsa, which garners strong support within the membership to become the league's 12th school, according to a source.

“The decision is on [commissioner] Mike [Aresco]'s desk,” the source said.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...tulsa-new-name

Looks like some more dominoes could be falling soon.
    I may not know much, but atleast I know that I do not know much.

If Tulsa goes to the "Old Big East", then expect CUSA to extend an invite to WKU. However, it would be too late for them to move until after this upcoming academic year, 2013-14.

It's likely ESPN will review the current CUSA TV contract in the next year, and based on what the current CUSA looks like compared to what it looked like a year or so ago, I think the value of that contract is diminished, and ESPN acts accordingly. If the TV contract is deemed to be less valuable, then the number of bowl tie-ins could also be reduced (most of which come up for review after this next bowl season).

Taking all this into consideration, WKU has the potential to be the first school to get an invite from CUSA and turn it down.
    Founding Trojan Warrior
    Trojan Warrior Council Member
    Founding Shield Society Member
    Lifetime Alumni Member
    Emerald Coast Alumni Chapter Memeber
    Pensacola Alumni Chapter Member

Quote Originally Posted by Troy87 View Post
    If Tulsa goes to the "Old Big East", then expect CUSA to extend an invite to WKU. However, it would be too late for them to move until after this upcoming academic year, 2013-14.

It's likely ESPN will review the current CUSA TV contract in the next year, and based on what the current CUSA looks like compared to what it looked like a year or so ago, I think the value of that contract is diminished, and ESPN acts accordingly. If the TV contract is deemed to be less valuable, then the number of bowl tie-ins could also be reduced (most of which come up for review after this next bowl season).

Taking all this into consideration, WKU has the potential to be the first school to get an invite from CUSA and turn it down.
    This morning on the local radio, one of WKU's coaches has said that this will be their last season in the Belt as they are about to move on to C-USA. We will have to wait and see who will become our 12th team once this becomes official.

Go TROY!

Quote Originally Posted by Troy87 View Post
    It's likely ESPN will review the current CUSA TV contract in the next year, and based on what the current CUSA looks like compared to what it looked like a year or so ago, I think the value of that contract is diminished, and ESPN acts accordingly.
    C-USA doesn't have a regular season contract with ESPN. We have contracts with CBS and FOX.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBlazer View Post
    C-USA doesn't have a regular season contract with ESPN. We have contracts with CBS and FOX.
    Regardless, it doesn't change the likelihood the TV contracts proprietors will take advantage of a "look in" clause to evaluate the product they intend to broadcast.
    Founding Trojan Warrior
    Trojan Warrior Council Member
    Founding Shield Society Member
    Lifetime Alumni Member
    Emerald Coast Alumni Chapter Memeber
    Pensacola Alumni Chapter Member

Thread Information