Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time To Make Troy History: Hire A Minority Head Coach

Default Time To Make Troy History: Hire A Minority Head Coach

Now, I stand just left of the militia movements and frown on any special hiring quotas, but this would be a good move for recruiting and burying some past history with the basketball program. More about that later. And I don't think we have had a Minority Head Coach in any sport - or any that I can remember.

If I was in Hartwell's shoes and thank goodness I am not, I wouldn't wait around for resumes to start coming in, I would call John Calapari, Rick Patino and Mike K and say "We have $XXX,000 to offer and a recruiting budget of $XX,000. Who would you recommend?" I would love Orlando Antigua (UK) or Kareem Richardson (UL), but they might be out of our range. We might need to look at an Assistant-Assistant Coach of a TOP PROGRAM. Someone probably about 30 years old.

Don't hire some pasty-white retread Assistant from a mid-tier SEC team. And don't think the new HC is thinking long-term. He wants to win early and move on. That's the cycle we should prepare for. We will have 7 or 8 HC's over the next 30 years.

And finally, I have heard a story (never confirmed and probably won't be) about Coach Archer recruiting a kid out of Chipley, Florida, that actually graduated from Carver High School in Dothan, but the school denied his admission based on his race (this was in 1967). The story seems plausible and the source of the story was around Troy in those days. And knowing Coach Archer, I could see him still recruiting him knowing the stir it would cause.

The player: some guy named Artis Gilmore eventually led Jacksonville University to the DI Title Game in 1970. He also still holds the NCAA season average for Rebounds Per Game at over 27 (27!!!!).

Do something BOLD and I mean REAL BOLD!!!
    "Number 6"? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that one...

I don't think we should hire a minority head coach just for the sake of History.... If a White guy is in the mix and he's heads and shoulders better than the others they best hire that guy!
    MARCH ON TROJANS!

Trojan Warrior
    Donor Club
    Atlanta Trojan on Sun Beltbbs

It's time to make TROY history and hire a coach that will recruit HS players for D-I.

I dont agree with you on this one wesuck.com. I don't thing we make anything better by saying, "hey our school was really stupid in the past so here's a hand out." Is racism stupid, yes very much so, but it goes both ways. To not hire the best coach because they are not of a certain skin color is just as bad as not allowing a great recruit into school just because of their skin color. That's why I think putting your race on college, job and loan applications is stupid, because what does it matter what color a person is if they fit the criteria and are the best person for it.

That being said, Troy needs to get the best coach they can then if the best coach is a minority we can talk about a historical milestone.
    I am what I am and thats all I am.

White, black, red, purple, green, orange, or any other color you can think of, who cares as long as he can win?

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritual_Trojan View Post
    I dont agree with you on this one wesuck.com. I don't thing we make anything better by saying, "hey our school was really stupid in the past so here's a hand out." Is racism stupid, yes very much so, but it goes both ways. To not hire the best coach because they are not of a certain skin color is just as bad as not allowing a great recruit into school just because of their skin color. That's why I think putting your race on college, job and loan applications is stupid, because what does it matter what color a person is if they fit the criteria and are the best person for it.

That being said, Troy needs to get the best coach they can then if the best coach is a minority we can talk about a historical milestone.
    So, it's a hand-out to a minority and not a hand-out non-minority...? I never cease being amazed...

“I quit worrying about Auburn and Alabama. They’re cowards and you can print that,” he said. “Troy people would love to play them, but they’re chicken. I’m not talking about the (Alabama or Auburn) coaches and the players. I’m talking about the ones who wear the panties who make decisions.” --LB by way of the SavannahNow.com

Quote Originally Posted by trojanbrutha View Post
    So, it's a hand-out to a minority and not a hand-out non-minority...? I never cease being amazed...
    If you hire someone just because he's a minority or give him an unfair advantage because he's a minority, that's a hand out. It would also be a handout if a guy was chosen simply because he wasn't a minority. I don't think the guy you quoted made any implications that he believed otherwise so whats the big deal?
    STLouis Blazer - "Our corners could take a lesson from Troys. Those guys were all over our WRs like white on rice. Sadly, our guys avoided their WRs like they had the plague."

Quote Originally Posted by Trojans1andAll View Post
    It's time to make TROY history and hire a coach that will recruit HS players for D-I.
    Could not agree more. If we want to be successful we have to get some high school basketball recruits. Pick up a good juco when available but we need some players who play together longer than one season
    Lifetime T-Club Member
    Trojan Warrior
    Proud Former Troy Football Player
    Proud Troy Alumni
    Proud Troy Dad

Quote Originally Posted by CHughes1102 View Post
    White, black, red, purple, green, orange, or any other color you can think of, who cares as long as he can win?
    Couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by dgoebel View Post
    Could not agree more. If we want to be successful we have to get some high school basketball recruits. Pick up a good juco when available but we need some players who play together longer than one season
    If you want one decent high school player to even consider coming to Troy, we need someone young and dynamic. Someone that would possibly even draw some national press. We won't get that with some retred 45 year old Asst. Coach from Auburn.

Call the 3 top coaches in the South and the country and ask them who would be the best. I guarantee Calipari, Patino and Coach K won't let anyone ffrom their family fail.

They might even schedule a home game with us.

Thread Information