Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some not happy with possibility of GSU in Sun Belt

Default Some not happy with possibility of GSU in Sun Belt

Van Brimmer: Sun Belt shouldn't be only bowl league option for Georgia Southern

The soapy script on the Georgia Southern football bus windows read, “Just married: Sun Belt or bust.”

“Bust” has never been a more attractive option...

...Too bad the Sun Belt is a league that’s been out in the sun too long — a tired, blistering, complainer that nobody wants to hang around...

...With little room available in existing conferences, new leagues will be proposed.

Georgia Southern could be a founding member of one of those upstart conferences. The Eagles could carve out a new identity in their new division.

Bottom line, anything’s better than the Sun Belt...

Complete story: http://savannahnow.com/column/2013-0...orgia-southern
    Doug

The Death of Georgia Southern Football

by flowmaster
    GSU Sports

Matt Yogus wrote an editorial today talking about the possibility of Georgia Southern being invited to play in the Sun Belt Conference but I think he got the title all wrong. To me instead of "Looks like the ball's in your court, Sun Belt" he should have titled his work: The death of Georgia Southern Football as we know it...

...My point is the Sun Belt is the cellar dweller conference of the FBS. Why would Georgia Southern want to play in this league?...

...I hope that if we accept any invitation to move to the Sun Belt it will be only until a better alternative comes along like C-USA or the Big East.

Truly any move will mean the end of Eagle Football as we know it!

Complete "blog": http://community.statesboroherald.co.../detail/13600/
    Doug

He's right, but it's still better than FCS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho Johnny View Post
    He's right, but it's still better than FCS.
    I wish you guys who see CUSA as a stronger football conference than the Belt next year please explain. ECU plays decent football as does Tulsa and So Miss ( who just happened to be 0-12 last year) but pray tell who else, year in year out puts better teams on the field than Troy, ULL, ASU, WKU? Most sports sites last year had us better. Losing FAU, FIU, NT and MTSU did little to lower that position. Should we get Ga So and App St there is no doubt we will be stronger. I don't see your logic. Schools like So Miss and Marshall haven't been competitive in several years. Just sayin'!
    !“Winning is not a sometime thing: it’s an all the time thing. You don’t win once in a while; you don’t do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.” — Vince Lombardi

How dare you use common sense as a response on a message board!!!

ECU will be gone in 2014. Tulsa is a leading candidate for the new whats left of the Big East(conference to be named later). That leaves CDOA with Sun Belt ship jumpers & So Miss. Keep dreaming Eagles or build a better conference than CUSA part 2.0.
    Troy football, it is what it is:/

Quote Originally Posted by Doug4Troy View Post
    The Death of Georgia Southern Football

by flowmaster
    GSU Sports

Matt Yogus wrote an editorial today talking about the possibility of Georgia Southern being invited to play in the Sun Belt Conference but I think he got the title all wrong. To me instead of "Looks like the ball's in your court, Sun Belt" he should have titled his work: The death of Georgia Southern Football as we know it...

...My point is the Sun Belt is the cellar dweller conference of the FBS. Why would Georgia Southern want to play in this league?...

...I hope that if we accept any invitation to move to the Sun Belt it will be only until a better alternative comes along like C-USA or the Big East.

Truly any move will mean the end of Eagle Football as we know it!

Complete "blog": http://community.statesboroherald.co.../detail/13600/
    That's easy to solve. If you are so high and mighty in your present location playing lesser competition then by all means STAY THERE! Don't come play with the big boys. You are sounding just like South Alabama when they were "still undefeated"! Oops that changed when they stopped playing Podunk Junior Colleges!!
    Last edited by redwaver; 03-09-2013 at 06:06 PM.
    !“Winning is not a sometime thing: it’s an all the time thing. You don’t win once in a while; you don’t do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.” — Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by redwaver View Post
    I wish you guys who see CUSA as a stronger football conference than the Belt next year please explain.
    I don't think anyone here actually sees CUSA as stronger on the field, but overall general perception says its just a better place to be. The Sunbelt just brought in, and continues to bring in, FCS schools to fill in holes (I don't mind this if they get GSU and App State). That doesn't instill a feeling of growing strength. The Sunbelt is currently a starter conference, not where people want to stay. Then there's the money. As the current starter conference, the Sunbelt doesn't have much TV money. That may change in the next few years if we can out-play the teams that left for CUSA, but it's the current reality. The money is really what it's all about and it's the primary reason no institution wants to be in the Sunbelt.

Quote Originally Posted by likesturtles View Post
    I don't think anyone here actually sees CUSA as stronger on the field, but overall general perception says its just a better place to be. The Sunbelt just brought in, and continues to bring in, FCS schools to fill in holes (I don't mind this if they get GSU and App State). That doesn't instill a feeling of growing strength. The Sunbelt is currently a starter conference, not where people want to stay. Then there's the money. As the current starter conference, the Sunbelt doesn't have much TV money. That may change in the next few years if we can out-play the teams that left for CUSA, but it's the current reality. The money is really what it's all about and it's the primary reason no institution wants to be in the Sunbelt.
    If we in the Sun Belt don't take the preverbal defeatist attitude we can make ourselves better and the TV and money will come to us. Those folks are not idiots. You, me or them can't deny success. As to GSU, given their attitude of superiority I don't give a rats rump if they come to the Belt or not. They haven't even moved up to D1 and they are already talking who deserves THEM. REALLY! Arrogance in spades. I think we should go after USM and maybe Tulane. Lets play their game. Frankly I think the two conferences should combine but that's just my thoughts.

I don't think anyone here actually sees CUSA as stronger on the field, but overall general perception says its just a better place to be.
    I agree. The Sun Belt IS a cellar dweller (I rather like that term) but CUSA is no better. It is highly overrated and if I anything I think they have weakened their quality of play by buying all of this cellar dweller conferences worst teams. But yes, likesturtles is right that the common perception is that CUSA is better. No accounting for taste, but plenty accounting for money.

I also feel like you might be being too hard on GSU redwaver. Is there any indication that the students and the decision-makers feel this way? Or is this just the belief of a few GSU fans or even just this writer?

Also, what should we be abbreviating Georgia Southern to? GSU is already being used for Georgia State. Should it properly be GaSo or something?

Thread Information