Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dixie

Quote Originally Posted by redwaver View Post
    If Gangsta Rap lyrics don't offend you
    Some do, some don't. I don't think you have a reasonable understanding of the music genre you are referring to. I am sure by your standards Maroon 5 and Bruno Mars sing "gangsta rap."

If Gangsta Rap lyrics don't offend you but Dixie does we need to stop this.
    For the record, dixie does not offend me at all.

One of us has lost touch with reality.
    If you mean 1950's reality, you are correct. That was before my time. Although, for those who think the 50's were so great, I can imagine that depends on variables that many of us would not understand.

"Not that old"? Old enough to have grown up when they were being performed on stages is all but how could us old goats know anything about good music compared to today youthful musical geniuses.
    So, you were around when Dan Emmett wrote then performed dixie with Bryant's minstrels group in 1859?

Heck we had The Platters, Bing Crosby, Elvis, Nat King Cole, Bobby Darin, The Ink Spots and you have Rap! Yep, it's us who is out of touch with common sense. My bad!:-)
    They were great in their day, but life goes on, care to join it?
    Doug

And redwaver, do you believe that rap is my music genre of choice? Really? Based on the fact I am not demanding that dixie be played in its entirety?

I like a lot of different music, from many different sources, both recent and older.

Open your mind redwaver, Merry Christmas dude!
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug4Troy View Post
    Some do, some don't. I don't think you have a reasonable understanding of the music genre you are referring to. I am sure by your standards Maroon 5 and Bruno Mars sing "gangsta rap."

For the record, dixie does not offend me at all.

If you mean 1950's reality, you are correct. That was before my time. Although, for those who think the 50's were so great, I can imagine that depends on variables that many of us would not understand.

So, you were around when Dan Emmett wrote then performed dixie with Bryant's minstrels group in 1859?

They were great in their day, but life goes on, care to join it?
    "Life goes on, care to join it"

Naw, I'll just sit back, put on the old 78's and remember a time when kids could distinguish between music with honorable lyrics you were not ashamed for your mom to know you had and this Rap stuff where you just holler words that rhyme (sometimes) into a gold microphone. Oh, you also have to play it so loud that everyone in two counties can hear it and every burglar alarm in 1/2 mile is set off. Always wondered how you courted to that stuff but guess that has changed as well. Yep, they call it "progress"!
    !ďWinning is not a sometime thing: itís an all the time thing. You donít win once in a while; you donít do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.Ē ó Vince Lombardi

And redwaver, do you believe that rap is my music genre of choice? Really? Based on the fact I am not demanding that dixie be played in its entirety?

I like a lot of different music, from many different sources, both recent and older.

Open your mind redwaver, Merry Christmas dude!
    .....and a "White Christmas" to you.......can't think of a comeback to "Dude" though! I'll think on it though.
    !ďWinning is not a sometime thing: itís an all the time thing. You donít win once in a while; you donít do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.Ē ó Vince Lombardi

"Life goes on, care to join it"

Naw, I'll just sit back, put on the old 78's and remember a time when kids could distinguish between music with honorable lyrics you were not ashamed for your mom to know you had and this Rap stuff where you just holler words that rhyme (sometimes) into a gold microphone. Oh, you also have to play it so loud that everyone in two counties can hear it and every burglar alarm in 1/2 mile is set off. Always wondered how you courted to that stuff but guess that has changed as well. Yep, they call it "progress"!
    Your mother or grandmother had no problem with Elvis? Afterall, his music was influenced by African-American blues. That was shameful.
    Doug

"Some do, some don't. I don't think you have a reasonable understanding of the music genre you are referring to. I am sure by your standards Maroon 5 and Bruno Mars sing "gangsta rap."

Nope, never said all Rap had vulgar lyrics. Just said it gives the term "music" a bad name. Since I am definitely not a music major I don't claim the level of expertise you seem to possess. However I am capable of distinguishing appropriate and inappropriate tunes and I also know music has gone the way of societal standards and morals. Can you imagine if back in the day of Dixie authors would have used language against the African American race that Rappers use today against the White race what the outcry would be today ( and rightfully so). It's just that tunes like Dixie, Way Down Upon The Suwannee River, and others have taken a (excuse the pun) RAP that the exact same thing today in Gangsta Rap is given a pass for. Hypocrisy is never a good thing. We can't change History as much as they try. We just all need to live today and try to learn how to get along TOGETHER. Happy holidays my young friend. :-)

.....and a "White Christmas" to you.......can't think of a comeback to "Dude" though! I'll think on it though.
    Don't waste your time dude, I think our conversation is officially over.
    Doug

Your mother or grandmother had no problem with Elvis? Afterall, his music was influenced by African-American blues. That was shameful.
    Shameful? Why? Elvis was proud of where he got his inspiration for singing. Naw, the folks didn't like all that hip movement but they lived with it. Hound Dog just don't hold a candle to Gangsta but maybe Teddy Bear did!:-)

Don't waste your time dude, I think our conversation is officially over.
    Right on Dude! :-)

Shameful? Why? Elvis was proud of where he got his inspiration for singing. Naw, the folks didn't like all that hip movement but they lived with it. Hound Dog just don't hold a candle to Gangsta but maybe Teddy Bear did!:-)
    Did they have sarcasm back in the 1950's? I guess you will just have to learn to live with it...sorry dude. Merry Christmas redwaver!!!
    Doug

Thread Information