Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dixie

Quote Originally Posted by Doug4Troy View Post
    I think you may be very blissful already. I just don't get much pleasure from hearing dixie, that's all... no political statement in there at all. But you go ahead and listen to what you want, and I will do the same. Just don't fret if the SOTS doesn't play the gameday music you yearn for from "back in the day."

By the way, I was born in the South, grew up in the South, and spent all but about 5 of my 42 years in the South... I understand the South just fine.

Also, google the word "banned" and compare it with the definition of "band." Just sayin!

Go Trojans and SOTS!
    "I think you may be very blissful already"

Yep, that's me, wallowing in ignorance! How do you music experts spell CLASSICS? Just need a young connoisseur to set me straight!
    !ďWinning is not a sometime thing: itís an all the time thing. You donít win once in a while; you donít do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.Ē ó Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanFanatic View Post
    I don't see a problem with Dixie, but I'm much younger so I didn't go through the "ban" but I know it affected my high school. I don't mind hearing or playing it, was in the band, and I don't really understand why it's such a big deal...I guess when I go to school and hear certain words that people call themselves, but won't let others call them, I quit caring what's PC and what's not.
    I hear what you are saying, and I agree to a certain extent. But, think for just a minute, is there ANY song selection that you would find inappropriate? ANY SONG AT ALL? ANY SONG?

By the way, I am not anti-dixie. I would not care if they currently played the tune. But I do question motives when folks want certain tunes played that are not currently on the playlist. For example, if someone wanted a certain 2 Live Crew tune played by the SOTS or over the PA, I might just ask....WHY?
    Last edited by Doug4Troy; 12-24-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanFanatic View Post
    I don't see a problem with Dixie, but I'm much younger so I didn't go through the "ban" but I know it affected my high school. I don't mind hearing or playing it, was in the band, and I don't really understand why it's such a big deal...I guess when I go to school and hear certain words that people call themselves, but won't let others call them, I quit caring what's PC and what's not.
    Be careful, you will be found guilty of being "ignorant" for thinking for yourself. With some, that is what old people do. Great song written about pride of a part of the country. Pride? Seems we have list a lot of that in our great nation these days. Oh well, glad you appreciate the tune! It once meant a lot to Troy students.
    !ďWinning is not a sometime thing: itís an all the time thing. You donít win once in a while; you donít do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.Ē ó Vince Lombardi

I hear what you are saying, and I agree to a certain extent. But, think for just a minute, is there ANY song selection that you would find inappropriate? ANY SONG AT ALL? ANY SONG?

By the way, I am not anti-dixie. I would not care if they currently played the tune. But I do question motives when folks want certain tunes played that are not currently on the playlist. For example, if someone wanted a certain 2 Live Crew tune played by the SOTS or over the PA, I might just ask....WHY?
    YA! That idiotic Rap music where every other word is a curse word, derogatory comments about women, killing of police or any one else the writer/ singer feels needs to die. Compare that to a song like Dixie and try telling us which one ought to be ban!!!x
    Last edited by redwaver; 12-24-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redwaver View Post
    "I think you may be very blissful already"

Yep, that's me, wallowing in ignorance! How do you music experts spell CLASSICS? Just need a young connoisseur to set me straight!
    Dixie a classic? Really?

Doug

Dixie a classic? Really?

Since almost every song of that day was sung in black face does not mean the song was racial. Some people want to make everything these days a racial issue. Usually when they can't find a way to carry on an intelligent debate!

Although profanity does not personally offend me, I can see how songs laced with obscenities can be inapproriate (not offensive, inappropriate).

Does anyone know the real origin of the song Dixie? At least when 2 Live Crew or Eminem rap we can tell very quickly what their meaning is, and then decide if it is inappropriate or not.
    Doug

Since almost every song of that day was sung in black face does not mean the song was racial. Some people want to make everything these days a racial issue. Usually when they can't find a way to carry on an intelligent debate!
    Just research the origins of the song.
    Doug

And not "almost every" song was sung in black face. Do a little research. You may be old, but you are not that old.
    Doug

And not "almost every" song was sung in black face. Do a little research. You may be old, but you are not that old.
    If Gangsta Rap lyrics don't offend you but Dixie does we need to stop this. One of us has lost touch with reality. "Not that old"? Old enough to have grown up when they were being performed on stages is all but how could us old goats know anything about good music compared to today youthful musical geniuses. Heck we had The Platters, Bing Crosby, Elvis, Nat King Cole, Bobby Darin, The Ink Spots and you have Rap! Yep, it's us who is out of touch with common sense. My bad!:-)

Thread Information