Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: An argument for Sam Houston State to Sun Belt?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    286
    Rep Power
    12

    Default An argument for Sam Houston State to Sun Belt?

    If there is a case for Lamar, there should be a case for Sam Houston State also. This will also be the second consecutive year they will be playing for the FCS Championship. They also have great facilities like Lamar also.

    The campus is located 1 hour north of Houston.

    Basketball arena - 6,000+ seats

    http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticl...ATCLID=1275315

    Football Stadium is small but has potential

    http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticl...ATCLID=1275265



    So here are the schools I think should be added to the Sun Belt.

    Lamar
    Sam Houston State
    Georgia Southern
    Appalachian State
    Jacksonville State

    Along with

    Troy
    Arkansas State
    Georgia State
    UL-Lafayette
    UL-Monroe
    Texas State
    Western Kentucky
    UT-Arlington
    South Alabama
    Last edited by quietstorm; 12-16-2012 at 07:08 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    286
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Divisions? spread across 7 southern states within geographic footprint

    West-Arkansas(1), Texas(4), and Louisiana teams(2)

    Arkansas State
    Lamar
    Sam Houston State
    Texas State
    UT-Arlington
    UL-Lafayette
    UL-Monroe


    East-Alabama(3), Georgia(2), North Carolina(1), Kentucky team(1)

    Appalachian State
    Georgia Southern
    Georgia State
    Jacksonville State
    South Alabama
    Troy
    Western Kentucky
    Last edited by quietstorm; 12-16-2012 at 07:07 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Franklin, Kentucky
    Posts
    634
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Texas Arlington does not have a football team. They, along with UALR will be the two Sun Belt schools with teams in all other sports, except for football. I agree that both Lamar and Sam Houston would be logical teams to make the move to D-I, but to my knowledge, they have yet to petition the NCAA, which is required for consideration. At this time, Jax State has said they will not be making the jump.

    I really believe that the other conference moves are not yet complete. The Big East is really hurting right now and likely could lose UConn and Cincy next. The likelihood is that the BE would then take two more C-USA schools which would then impact the Sun Belt again.

    If the teams out West in the BE decide to bail and go to the Mtn West (Boise St., San Diego St, SMU and Houston), then we would probably either see the dismantling of the league or a merge between the remaining Big East football schools and most, if not all, of the C-USA schools.

    It could be possible for the Big East to try and get two additional western teams so that they could have two 6 team divisions, one in the East and one in the West. This may be the Sun Belt's best option as their new western teams would likely come from the Mtn West so that conference would then pick off two, or maybe four more western located C-USA teams as replacements. This scenario could possibly lead to a merger between the remaining C-USA schools and the current 8 Sun Belt teams to form a mega-Southern conference (approximately 20 total teams with two divisions).

    The MAC has 13 teams and to me, Marshall (C-USA) would be a better geographic fit and thus even up their two divisions.

    Obviously, none of us have a clue how this whole realignment situation will play out but if the Sun Belt does not get absorbed into another league, or is not part of the formation of a new mega-type conference, we will likely remain in a Sun Belt conference that will be where all D-IAA teams will join when they make the move to D-I.

    Go TROY!
    Last edited by Troy79; 12-16-2012 at 09:14 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    4,241
    Rep Power
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troy79 View Post
    Texas Arlington does not have a football team. They, along with UALR will be the two Sun Belt schools with teams in all other sports, except for football. I agree that both Lamar and Sam Houston would be logical teams to make the move to D-I, but to my knowledge, they have yet to petition the NCAA, which is required for consideration. At this time, Jax State has said they will not be making the jump.

    I really believe that the other conference moves are not yet complete. The Big East is really hurting right now and likely could lose UConn and Cincy next. The likelihood is that the BE would then take two more C-USA schools which would then impact the Sun Belt again.

    If the teams out West in the BE decide to bail and go to the Mtn West (Boise St., San Diego St, SMU and Houston), then we would probably either see the dismantling of the league or a merge between the remaining Big East football schools and most, if not all, of the C-USA schools.

    It could be possible for the Big East to try and get two additional western teams so that they could have two 6 team divisions, one in the East and one in the West. This may be the Sun Belt's best option as their new western teams would likely come from the Mtn West so that conference would then pick off two, or maybe four more western located C-USA teams as replacements. This scenario could possibly lead to a merger between the remaining C-USA schools and the current 8 Sun Belt teams to form a mega-Southern conference (approximately 20 total teams with two divisions).

    The MAC has 13 teams and to me, Marshall (C-USA) would be a better geographic fit and thus even up their two divisions.

    Obviously, none of us have a clue how this whole realignment situation will play out but if the Sun Belt does not get absorbed into another league, or is not part of the formation of a new mega-type conference, we will likely remain in a Sun Belt conference that will be where all D-IAA teams will join when they make the move to D-I.

    Go TROY!
    This whole conference shuffling is getting out of hand. Hard to know who is in what conference anymore. I agre with you on Marshall and the MAC and they were inthe MAC and left for C-USA. I also think WKU is a better fit for the MAC than the Sun Belt. Georgia Southern, App St, and down the road possibly Cent. Arkansas would be the logical choices fro the Sun Belt. The Texas schools make travel more dificult, especially in your non revenue sports like soccer, track, softball, baseball, golf etc. They could compete very easily in the Sun Belt for sure, that is a given.
    Lifetime T-Club Member
    Trojan Warrior
    Proud Former Troy Football Player
    Proud Troy Alumni
    Proud Troy Dad

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Franklin, Kentucky
    Posts
    634
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    The rumor up here in Kentucky is that Western Ky and New Mexico State will be the next two teams to be absorbed by C-USA, once the Big East loses two more schools and then raids C-USA again. If we do lose WKU, and if the Sun Belt does nothing, either by choice or because of circumstances, then I meant to add to my above post that I believe the future Sun Belt will look like this:

    EAST:

    App State
    GA State
    Georgia Southern
    Liberty
    South Alabama
    TROY

    WEST:

    La Monroe
    La La
    Ark St
    Texas St
    Lamar
    Sam Houston St.

    This arrangement would allow all SB teams to play eight Conference games each year, either 2 or 3 division games at home each season, and 2 or 1 out of division home games for a total of 4 home conference games each year. We then could have one big money game (away) and one game against a D-I AA team (home) each season. That would leave two games to be played, we should arrange to have two home and home arrangements so we could play teams like Tulane, Southern Miss, Middle Tennessee, or ARMY/NAVY to provide TROY with 6 home games each and every season.

    Go TROY!
    Last edited by Troy79; 12-18-2012 at 10:30 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,198
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    NMSU will not be absorbed by anyone other than the SunBelt - UTEP would have an absolute cow.

    And while Sam Houston wins on the field, support is waning at best. And when they aren't winning, their stands resemble Legion Field.
    "Number 6"? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that one...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Millbrook, AL
    Posts
    3,382
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Well, I vote for Alabama State.
    Doug

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Milton, Florida
    Posts
    1,772
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug4Troy View Post
    Well, I vote for Alabama State.
    What puzzles me is you hear no scuttlebutt out of the Belt office of any goings on to protect its existence. What is our new commissioner doing, if anything, on our behalf?
    Last edited by redwaver; 02-04-2013 at 04:55 PM.
    !ďWinning is not a sometime thing: itís an all the time thing. You donít win once in a while; you donít do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.Ē ó Vince Lombardi

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Millbrook, AL
    Posts
    3,382
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redwaver View Post
    What puzzles me is you hear no scuttlebutt out of the Belt office of any goings on to protect its existence. What is our new commissioner doing, if anything, on our behalf?
    Scuttlebutt could kill deals before they have a chance to solidify... just my opinion.
    Doug

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Milton, Florida
    Posts
    1,772
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug4Troy View Post
    Scuttlebutt could kill deals before they have a chance to solidify... just my opinion.
    Don't seem to cause harm to the SEC, Big East, Big 12, WAC or any other conferences where changes are taking place daily so why the Sun Belt? Talk is everywhere. We all heard about FAU, FIU, NT and MTSU long before it happened. Now we are hearing WKU and I just bet you it comes true. I just wonder what our folks are rumored to be doing...if anything for us. Why are rumors/leaks only good for all other conferences? Maybe it is because they are going something!!!
    !ďWinning is not a sometime thing: itís an all the time thing. You donít win once in a while; you donít do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.Ē ó Vince Lombardi

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •