Thread: Benson, SunBelt Expansion Probably this week?

Default Benson, SunBelt Expansion Probably this week?

The 10-team Sun Belt will probably decide this week if it wants to go to 12, Benson said. If so, Appalachian State could be in their mix. Like a number of FCS athletics directors who want to move up in this window of opportunity, Cobb is starting to feel a sense of urgency.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ke-jump-to-fbs
    I may not know much, but atleast I know that I do not know much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tums View Post
    The 10-team Sun Belt will probably decide this week if it wants to go to 12, Benson said. If so, Appalachian State could be in their mix. Like a number of FCS athletics directors who want to move up in this window of opportunity, Cobb is starting to feel a sense of urgency.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ke-jump-to-fbs
    The article made it sound like App State AD Charlie Cobb was disappointed that they did not receive an offer from C-USA and if they want to make the jump now, before another possible 10 year moratorium is in acted, then they may be waiting on Benson to give them a call. If we really want the Sun Belt to grow to a 12 team football league and have two divisions, then I believe App State would be a great addition. If Georgia Southern does not commit to making the move now, then my guess is that we would go after Liberty University as they are a private school and could provide the Belt with an answer within 48 hours of any offer. Benson has said that the dust would settle by the end of the month so we should all know something within a week!

Go TROY!

Cobb makes no secret of the fact that he and the administration at Appalachian State want to move to FBS. The school has done all of the feasibility studies and it is ready to go if the invitation comes. With all of Appalachian State's success on the field, however, they were passed over in favor of Charlotte, ODU, and UTSA by Conference USA.

Cobb's alumni did not understand and were not happy. Appalachian State has been playing football since 1928. It won three straight FCS national championships from 2005-07. In 2007 it pulled off the biggest upset in school history and one of the biggest in college football history when it went to Michigan and won 34-32.

Appalachian State led the FCS in average attendance last season with 26,211 per game, which was 130 percent of the stadium's capacity. If Appalachian State had been in Conference USA last season it would have ranked third in attendance. Its average attendance is higher than 40 of the current 120 FBS schools.

But the Mountaineers are still waiting for an invitation to the dance. Cobb recently wrote to his fan base, assuring them that talks with Conference USA are ongoing.

"We've made ourselves relevant from a competitive standpoint," he said, "but we haven't done a good enough job of selling where we are in the market place."

Thread Information