Thread: Should the Sun Belt change name?

Default Should the Sun Belt change name?

Very interesting & debatable article i came across.

Considering the teams within the Sun belt have come along way within the last decade or so with little recognition from larger conferences, teams & other entities due to its "reputation" as the joke - conference...would it make a difference by changing the leagues name?

Could it possibly give the Sun Belt the nudge it needs to advertise itself for possible candidates (other teams) looking for a new home w/o them thinking twice?

Have at it - Your thoughts?

http://www.dnj.com/article/20120228/...RS01/302280017

I agree that it is something to consider. Some things when they are re-branded end up with a better image, but others fail miserably (I immediately think of NEW Coke). Right now the younger members of this forum are thinking, there is a NEW coke!?!

The Sun Belt WAS a great basketball conference - I actually worked at TWO of the original member schools. The article is correct that we have NEVER had an opportunity to push it as a FOOTBALL conference due to the level of competition (and POSITIVE results on the field) from top to bottom. I think this year coupled with last year's conference play COULD push them higher in people's perception of the conference. Hint: We have about a dozen chances as a conference to make SEC fans think a LITTLE better of us this year.

Sidebar discussion: Could we PLEASE as fans of the conference cheer and support the other teams in our conference WHEN THEY ARE NOT PLAYING US?!? That way we would be guaranteed that UAB would never be in the same conference as us

ALSO, a great conference excels in all sports and the Sun Belt continues to make strides each and every year across the league in other sports.

PERSONALLY I like the STABILITY of a NAME and think in the long run it is better to keep the current branding (Sun Belt) because a long standing name / brand is viewed (whether true or not) as STRONG. If we do that, THEN we could work on a new marketing program to get the word out to the ENTIRE NATION of our successes and how FAR we have come from a start up basketball conference!!! The money saved on all the logo changes would fund an excellent marketing campaign.
    Mr.E_205_Legion
    Trojan by choice and not by school

Default As per Ark St fan and others

Squirrels Gods natural little speed bumps.

Changing the name of the conference wouldn't help much. If we did people would say "what conference is that?" then someone would reply "you know, the old Sun Belt Conference."

The only way I see the conference changing its name is if we pull in some CUSA teams like UAB, Southern Miss, Tulane, and opt to change the name to sweeten the deal.

I got to say, the blogger who says shrink footprints and approach smaller companies for advertising dollars has a very good idea. I fully support that mindset.

Autauga County Troy Alumni Chapter

It's always nice to ponder on change and the "what if's" but ideally and realistically i would have to agree with Mr. Legion...The Sun Belt conference has been around since 1976...and since then has been known more for basketball & baseball then any other sport. Football was not adopted until 2001....12 yrs ago!

My argument is that looking at the conference as a whole, the Sun Belt is stronger today then it has ever been. Why is that? Simple: Football. Football has progressed rapidly over the past 12 years then BASKETBALL or BASEBALL has over the past 36 years.

Football has saved this conference and has made it what it is today (my opinion).We have surpassed the WAC, on the verge of passing the MAC.... and about to bite Conference USA in the rear.

Some of you may agree & some of you may not.

I just feel that the Sun Belt is on the verge of greatness. It may not be a big conference...but for a conference that has overcame alot of adversity the past 36 yrs or so it is a conference with alot of Heart. So why would we not be proud of that?

Just something to think about....looking back when Troy first joined the Sun Belt & the first season we had....to now. Think of how much our University and the Athletics has improved as a whole since then. All the renovations, future plans for new facilities, etc. Now think of the other Universities that have done the same within our conference....we just had TWO newly renovated football stadiums this past year. Thats amazing. The Sun belt will continue to grow...and there is nothing we should be ashamed of about our conference or the other teams within it. At least we don't have a Ohio state or Miami

GO SUN BELT & GO TROJANS!

No. Go Trojans and Go SBC!!
    “You want to be a Trojan? Be a Trojan.” -Larry Blakeney

Keep the name, pull the southern teams from CUSA before "The Merge" and "The Fall" happens to that conference thing that they're doing, and then push for the bowl games that will have a falling out cause the new abomination will suck.
    "We are Trojans One and All."

"We need you to work hard to make plans to attend – and when you come remember: Be Early, Be Proud, Be Loud and Be a Trojan!"--John Hartwell, 7-9-13

take Troy for example. Me personally, I was against the name change. But from a marketing standpoint that has been the greatest thing that has happened. I used to never see troy state commercials in Huntsville but I see Troy University commercials all the time now and the enrollment numbers have shown the difference. So if marketed well a conference name change could work well.
    Trent Iley
    Class of 1997!
    Huntsville, AL

Marketing a University is different from marketing a Conference. It's best to keep the name...it's not like our conference is falling apart anyways. The Sun Belt has progressed over the years. Were not going to be an SEC over night.

Thread Information