Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sun belt realignment ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sly Fox View Post
    Just registered on the forum and yes I am a Liberty alum. Before you laugh me out of the joint, I just wanted to pose a question to you all:

How would many of you who feel the Sun Belt is on the rise react if you found out the league had been doing site visits to several FCS schools?
    Not laughing at all. Liberty has a good program, nice facilities, just signed a good coach, and they have an awesome logo!!

Oh and you guys signed a receiver, Darrin Peterson, out of Etowah High School that I am extremely familiar with. He's pretty dang good!!

First, welcome to the board. Secondly, it doesn't surprise me the Sun Belt is visiting some FCS schools and I would guess that 3 of them are Texas State, App. St, and Ga. Southern. All 3 would be competitive in all sports and bring as much to the table as some existing Sun Belt teams. The 3 mentioned have also expressed interest in moving to FBS also. The Sun Belt also realizes it could lose some key schools to other conferences. UNT would be a candidate for C-USA with Rice and SMU already in it, WKU is a MAC candidate, FIU, and FAU could be C-USA or Big East candidates, and ULL could be C-USA material also. Makes sense to be pro-active just in case.
    Lifetime T-Club Member
    Trojan Warrior
    Proud Former Troy Football Player
    Proud Troy Alumni
    Proud Troy Dad

How would many of you who feel the Sun Belt is on the rise react if you found out the league had been doing site visits to several FCS schools?
    I think the SunBelt has learned from watching the other conferences to be ready for a fluid enviroment. It is clear that the SunBelt is going to get NEW members. The question is will it be for Expansion or replacing lost members?
    I may not know much, but atleast I know that I do not know much.

Did anyone catch yesterday's College Football talk on ESPN? I only caught the tail end but they were talking about the Big Merger and how it will cause more than one conference to fold in the near future. They seem to think that the Big Ones ACC, Big East, SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, PAC 12, CUSA/MWC Merger will be there. So I guess they think that the Belt, WAC, MAC will fold as a result. Can anyone add more?
    BDM88
    Go Trojans!!!

As We March Into Battle Our Swords Are High!

Who's Next? Any Takers?

2014 The Year Of The Last Ride Of A Legend?

Exclamation

Our stAte INsider for SunBeltbbs.com is reporting that the newest members will be La Tech and Texas State.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=557537

Autauga County Troy Alumni Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by Burn the Horse View Post
    Our stAte INsider for SunBeltbbs.com is reporting that the newest members will be La Tech and Texas State.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=557537

Let me know when ArKStFan says it. When he puts it out there, then I know it's solid.
    Founding Trojan Warrior
    Trojan Warrior Council Member
    Founding Shield Society Member
    Lifetime Alumni Member
    Emerald Coast Alumni Chapter Memeber
    Pensacola Alumni Chapter Member

Based on discussion on many SunBelt boards it appeared that most fans believe it is insane for the league to be considering any FCS schools as part of replacement or expansion. For the record, the current FCS schools that have already openly expressed an interest in FBS membership or actually accepted an invitation are:

Appalachian State
    Charlotte
    Georgia State
    Illinois State
    Jacksonville State
    Liberty
    Texas State
    UTSA (technically never FCS but in FCS league)

Others that have toyed with the idea in the past and likely have long-term aspirations:

Delaware
    Georgia Southern
    James Madison
    Montana
    Old Dominion
    Sam Houston State

Theoretically, this is the pool from which any FCS selection will be made. And frankly the list of schools prepared to make the jump shrinks back to a few from the original list.

And before you dismiss those candidates out of hand because of their current FCS status, several of them would have among the highest budgets in the SBC and have facilities that are comparable or in some cases perhaps better than current SBC facilities.

Just something to chew on as the plans move forward. I personally believe the chances that either UTSA or Texas State remain in the WAC beyond this summer are about as close to none as they come. Obviously the same is the case for current FBS school La Tech.

I can tell you that I have knowledge that several FCS schools are in contact with C-USA. Whether or not that leads to an invitation is purely speculative. But at a time when MTSU is admitting they've had no such contact, it indicates how some leagues are looking beyond labels for long term potential.
    www.FlameFans.com - Liberty Message Board

Based on discussion on many SunBelt boards it appeared that most fans believe it is insane for the league to be considering any FCS schools as part of replacement or expansion.
    That's not true at all Sly Fox. Our number one expansion candidates are openly App State and Texas State over on SunBeltbbs.com and that is very obvious. We are very anti-Tech.
    Last edited by Burn the Horse; 02-28-2012 at 05:04 PM.

You have in fact been a vocal guy on that board. I was referencing a general sentiment at school sites.

I agree that the schools in Boone & San Marcos along with my alma mater are the best prepared to make the move since all three schools have made commitments to prepare for FBS for many years. Others like ODU & Charlotte are promising upstarts but may be not quite ready to roll.
    www.FlameFans.com - Liberty Message Board

You have in fact been a vocal guy on that board.
    I should be, I'm a lead Moderator over there.
    Last edited by Burn the Horse; 02-28-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Thread Information