Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: Sun belt realignment ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Franklin County, Fl.
    Posts
    1,229
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Sun belt realignment ?

    I think the Sunbelt needs to take advantage of the current situation and try to expand to 16 teams. At Worst atleast make it to 12 to have a championship game. With a current 10 member SBC it could add 6 teams and still have a regional conference. I think this list would make good sense(not in any particular order).
    East Carolina
    Marshall
    UAB
    Southern Miss
    LA Tech
    Tulane

    Current Members
    Arkansas State
    Western Kentucky
    Louisiana-Lafayette
    FIU
    North Texas
    ULM
    Troy
    Middle Tennessee
    Florida Atlantic
    South Alabama
    Last edited by Tums; 02-16-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    I may not know much, but atleast I know that I do not know much.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Navarre, Florida
    Posts
    3,945
    Rep Power
    45

    Default

    Your list mirrors exactly, a discussion I had with another GTT member just yesterday. I think if Benson is wanting to make a point in his new position in the Sunbelt, he should move on trying to block the MWC/CUSA merger in its current form and try to merge the eastern part of CUSA with the Sunbelt.

    Geographically, it makes a whole lot more sense than the eastern parts of CUSA heading to the other side of the continental divide for games.....especially for the minor sports like volleyball, soccer, golf, etc.
    Founding Trojan Warrior
    Trojan Warrior Council Member
    Founding Shield Society Member
    Lifetime Alumni Member
    Emerald Coast Alumni Chapter Memeber
    Pensacola Alumni Chapter Member

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ft Worth
    Posts
    555
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troy87 View Post
    Your list mirrors exactly, a discussion I had with another GTT member just yesterday. I think if Benson is wanting to make a point in his new position in the Sunbelt, he should move on trying to block the MWC/CUSA merger in its current form and try to merge the eastern part of CUSA with the Sunbelt.

    Geographically, it makes a whole lot more sense than the eastern parts of CUSA heading to the other side of the continental divide for games.....especially for the minor sports like volleyball, soccer, golf, etc.
    SO:

    SB East
    E Carolina
    Marshall
    W. Kentucky
    FIU
    Middle Tenn
    FAU
    UAB
    Arkansas St

    SBWEST:
    S Mississippi
    La Tech
    Tulane
    ULALA
    N Texas
    ULM
    Troy
    S Alabama

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Franklin County, Fl.
    Posts
    1,229
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTrojan View Post
    SO:

    SB East
    E Carolina
    Marshall
    W. Kentucky
    FIU
    Middle Tenn
    FAU
    UAB
    Arkansas St

    SBWEST:
    S Mississippi
    La Tech
    Tulane
    ULALA
    N Texas
    ULM
    Troy
    S Alabama
    I had it this way.
    East -----------West
    Marshall ------- ASU
    ECU ----------- NT
    WKU ----------- LA Tech
    UAB ----------- ULL
    FIU ----------- ULM
    FAU ----------- Tulane
    MT ------------ SO Miss
    Troy ---------- USA
    I may not know much, but atleast I know that I do not know much.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ft Worth
    Posts
    555
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    This would be football only ... other sports we would have to include Arkansas - Little Rock. I was going on travel ... southern Alabama going west through Miss. and Louisiana and grab North Texas. UAB and Arkansas St would be close to Tenn and Kentucky

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Depauw, Indiana
    Posts
    156
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Possibility

    How about Georgia State in there somewhere? I am not sure what condition the CAA is in but just some wishful thinking.
    ďItís not what you did last year. Itís what youíre going to do this year. Thatís more important.Ē - Albert Pujols

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Shelby County, Alabama
    Posts
    612
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    I definitely think that the SunBelt with the NEW commissioner is going to be PROactive in securing the stability of our conference! The words that stuck in my mind during the teleconference were geographical footprint and borders of Texas and Florida. (For the purpose of keeping within these borders and footprint THINK longitude lines).

    Building on what has already been posted, I agree with:

    Sunrise Division (East)
    FIU
    FAU
    East Carolina
    Marshall
    Troy
    UAB
    MTSU
    WKU

    Sunset Division (West)
    USA (they go West based on seniority - toss up between them and WKU)
    Southern Miss
    Tulane
    ASU
    ULM
    La Tech
    ULL
    N Texas

    NOW my personal wildcards IF any schools listed above are NOT interested:

    Appalachian State University and Georgia Southern (not State) are both FCS schools with great sports History and both have already passed the FBS pre-requisite of attendance! These would easily replace any of the uninterested teams in the East Division.

    Texas State and University of Texas-San Antonio are both FCS schools that have already committed to move to FBS in 2013/14 and have been accepted to the WAC. Since their leadership is already familar with our NEW commissioner, I would think they could easily replace any of the uninterested teams in the West Division.

    NOW this is what I call a SUPER Conference
    Mr.E_205_Legion
    Trojan by choice and not by school

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    114
    Rep Power
    11

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kingsport, TN
    Posts
    750
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    OK I have a serious question on this matter. What makes any of us think we can get teams to come to the Sun Belt over the big CUSA/MWC merger? As I see it 95% of the the fans/people think the Sun Belt is a Nothing Conference? I mean we have proven that we are better than UAB and on Par with the MAC teams. But I just do not see any team from any other conference dropping down to the Sun Belt Level. And personally I think if you feel otherwise you have been blinded by our success over teams that either 1. Over looked us.
    2. Had big games the following week.
    3. Just flat out went through the motions.

    Now I would love to see us get better teams in the league. But I have to be realistic here.

    Am I the only one thinking this?
    BDM88
    Go Trojans!!!

    As We March Into Battle Our Swords Are High!

    Who's Next? Any Takers?

    2014 The Year Of The Last Ride Of A Legend?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Back home...
    Posts
    1,279
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BDM88 View Post
    OK I have a serious question on this matter. What makes any of us think we can get teams to come to the Sun Belt over the big CUSA/MWC merger? As I see it 95% of the the fans/people think the Sun Belt is a Nothing Conference? I mean we have proven that we are better than UAB and on Par with the MAC teams. But I just do not see any team from any other conference dropping down to the Sun Belt Level. And personally I think if you feel otherwise you have been blinded by our success over teams that either 1. Over looked us.
    2. Had big games the following week.
    3. Just flat out went through the motions.

    Now I would love to see us get better teams in the league. But I have to be realistic here.

    Am I the only one thinking this?

    I agree with you 100%.
    MARCH ON, TROJANS and WHO DAT?!,

    The Awesome Possum

    Go Troy or Go HOME!

    "Jesus turned water into wine, I turn it into Liquor." - "Popcorn" Sutton

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •