Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How important is TV market size?

Default How important is TV market size?

I know it's important, but where do you think it ranks along with the overall sports program, facilities, attendance, fans that travel, etc. that conferences look at?

TV market size is not our greatest asset, but our location gives us the Montgomery market and we're very close to the Dothan market. That's not much, but to me it seems better than a bigger market with no interest whatsoever.

I'm not asking because I have illusions that Troy is the next SECACCBigPAC40EastMidwest member, just wondering because our market size is nearly impossible to change. We are located where we are located. No stadium, coach or recruit can change that fact.

our market is the thing that hold us back. it is why C-USA is not interested in us, and why we will be long-term members of the Sun Belt Conference.

I'd say we should stop dreaming of moving out of the Belt, and start working on ways to develop and improve the Conference we call home. This has already began, so that is good news. I'm happy in the Sun Belt and since it is taking steps forward I think we'll get more bowl tie-ins and press.

Autauga County Troy Alumni Chapter

The Belt is what it is. But the Big Six will never let it get to be a power house. The Belt will be lucky to get three teams in a bowl game every year. I know most of you like the Belt but be honest there will never be nationwide appeal the demographics will not allow it. Unless one of the Bigger conference folds the Belt has no where to go.
    BDM88
    Go Trojans!!!

As We March Into Battle Our Swords Are High!

Who's Next? Any Takers?

2014 The Year Of The Last Ride Of A Legend?

Seems to me it's hard to build the Belt if teams will just leave when given a chance. The Belt is a starter conference. It's better than being independent and having 4 small time or FCS home games.

I'm just thinking back to when I was a student in 97-01. I first heard about in a Scott Farmer class Division 1A, new press tower, stadium upgrades, cool new turf that wasn't like AstroCarpet and the overall excitement. There were doubters then too, but we made the move.

It feels like we could be on the edge of another jump in our program again. We could have just been complacent back then too.

Default TV Market Size Matters

Of course television market size matters, especially in today's sports environment. Troy sits between two relatively small, minor television markets -- Montgomery/Selma #118 and Dothan #172. Even combined, the viewing audience potential is rather small, not counting the dillusion with other sports programming interests (Alabama, Auburn, etc.)

Potential television audience is a major factor in conference reallignment today where in the past, other factors -- what a particular school offers in terms of fan attendance, winning/national prestige, etc. -- had greater weight.

TROY to the PAC-12!
    “You want to be a Trojan? Be a Trojan.” -Larry Blakeney

Troy respectivly draws more eyes than given credit for (see link at Bottom).

NY Times College Sports Blog
    I may not know much, but atleast I know that I do not know much.

Conference realignment and Troy came up again this morning on Barry McKnight's Sportsline radio show. It's at least the second time this week.

A caller asked something to the effect of "What's going on in Troy's athletic department?" referring to Troy and C-USA. Barry answered with what sounded like a non-statement statement and then gave his personal opinion that the move would be great for Troy and the conference while also throwing in he's happy with the Sun Belt and it would take a lot of money for the move. The negative of market size also came up at the end.

Nothing groundbreaking, but I thought I'd update in case you didn't hear the show.

Barry can't make any confirmed statements on the radio, you'll always get "coach speak" when he's confronted with a question requesting official information.

C-USA without the teams who just left is hardly a step up. the ONLY thing that makes it more desireable than the Sun Belt is public perception, which came from tradition built over a period of time. If the Belt sticks together, we too can establish our brand. Look how far we've come in just a decade, we've already surpassed the MAC, which has been playing football at the FBS level for 50 years.

Autauga County Troy Alumni Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by burn the horse View Post
    barry can't make any confirmed statements on the radio, you'll always get "coach speak" when he's confronted with a question requesting official information.

C-usa without the teams who just left is hardly a step up. The only thing that makes it more desireable than the sun belt is public perception, which came from tradition built over a period of time. If the belt sticks together, we too can establish our brand. Look how far we've come in just a decade, we've already surpassed the mac, which has been playing football at the fbs level for 50 years.
    We need to be playing these guys instead of Tennessee, Clemson, Arkansas, LSU, etc., etc.. If we played and beat them then our "stock" as a conference would rise. Granted, it would be less money but there comes a time.........
    Last edited by redwaver; 12-08-2011 at 12:05 PM.
    !“Winning is not a sometime thing: it’s an all the time thing. You don’t win once in a while; you don’t do the right thing once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.” — Vince Lombardi

Thread Information