Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Conference Shuffling III

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Navarre, Florida
    Posts
    3,945
    Rep Power
    45

    Default Conference Shuffling III

    Interesting approach to this whole thing, but would really shut the Sunbelt, MAC and WAC out.

    http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...3_lnk2%7C97238

    NEW YORK—The Big East and Big12 might join together in their fight for survival.

    School and conference officials from the two leagues have been discussing ways to merge what's left of them if Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12, a person involved in the discussions told The Associated Press.

    The Big East and Big 12 could merge their conferences to ensure they both stick around. (AP Photo)

    The person, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk publicly about what is going on behind the scenes, said Monday there has been dialogue between athletic directors and high-level officials in the conference offices.

    "Those conversations are alive and ongoing," the person said............

    Last edited by Troy87; 09-20-2011 at 07:15 AM.
    Founding Trojan Warrior
    Trojan Warrior Council Member
    Founding Shield Society Member
    Lifetime Alumni Member
    Emerald Coast Alumni Chapter Memeber
    Pensacola Alumni Chapter Member

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Troy
    Posts
    3,099
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troy87 View Post
    Interesting approach to this whole thing, but would really shut the Sunbelt, MAC and WAC out.

    http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...3_lnk2%7C97238

    NEW YORK—The Big East and Big12 might join together in their fight for survival.


    School and conference officials from the two leagues have been discussing ways to merge what's left of them if Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12, a person involved in the discussions told The Associated Press.

    The Big East and Big 12 could merge their conferences to ensure they both stick around. (AP Photo)

    The person, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk publicly about what is going on behind the scenes, said Monday there has been dialogue between athletic directors and high-level officials in the conference offices.

    "Those conversations are alive and ongoing," the person said............

    The WACK is worse off than CDOA. Hawaii, Reno, Boise and Frisco State all leaving or left. So they steal Texas Western and try to steal ND40 from SunBelt - maybe invite UT-Alamo and UT-San Marcos.

    FAU-Orlando go to Big East. Big East invite GaState. Miami State go to CDOA.

    Meanwhile idiot Wright Water just sit around and do nothing and we still stuck with UCF-Boca.
    Last edited by Troy87; 09-20-2011 at 10:21 AM.
    I'll keep it short and sweet -- Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business.

    - C. Montgomery Burns

    Hire Steve Campbell or Mike Turk...TODAY!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Inzai, Japan
    Posts
    1,821
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ho View Post
    The WACK is worse off than CDOA. Hawaii, Reno, Boise and Frisco State all leaving or left. So they steal Texas Western and try to steal ND40 from SunBelt - maybe invite UT-Alamo and UT-San Marcos.

    FAU-Orlando go to Big East. Big East invite GaState. Miami State go to CDOA.

    Meanwhile idiot Wright Water just sit around and do nothing and we still stuck with UCF-Boca.
    Nero played while Rome burned.
    Last edited by Troy87; 09-20-2011 at 10:21 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Troy
    Posts
    3,099
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Mr. Ho tell you....a new conference would be better than pick up scrapes left behind



    SWLa and CTU are easy the biggest dissapointment of Sunbelt group and WH not represented in survey so this number probably higher. And WACK will be down to 5 team after this year. $10 buck SUnbelt lose team or teams to them.
    I'll keep it short and sweet -- Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business.

    - C. Montgomery Burns

    Hire Steve Campbell or Mike Turk...TODAY!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    375
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    One thing to think about with all of this expansion talk...

    The larger conferences/schools are looking to dramatically increase their TV footprint by crossing traditional regional lines & adding schools who don't traditionally fit their mold. When did Texas, Oklahoma & Colorado become a part of the PACIFIC?

    With that said, the ability of the smaller conferences to do the same is going to be minimal, at best. While increasing the footprint can bring in more TV revenue, it also costs ALOT more to travel & play these "conference" games. Smaller schools/conferences simply don't have the ability to do this on a week in & week out basis. The only time we travel a significant distance is for a $$$ game & this is by design. Even with the talk of Conference USA/MWC merging, personally, I think it would suit the smaller schools better if they busted all of the remaining conferences & then created 4 new, more regional conferences. This would keep travel costs reasonable & also create great regional rivalries that would spur interest & growth between all fanbases.

    Imagine: Troy vs UAB - Troy vs Southern Miss - Troy vs South Alabama - Troy vs Memphis - Troy vs UCF - Troy vs La Tech - Troy vs Tulane - Troy vs ECU, etc.... on a yearly basis. All games that would create great match-ups/rivalries & all within reasonable travel distance to make the cost most affordable to the schools & fans.
    The DYNASTY...was fun while it lasted

    Sun Belt Champions
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010

    New Orleans Bowl
    2006 2008 2010

    GMAC Bowl
    2009

    Silicon Valley Classic

    2004

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Troy
    Posts
    3,099
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrueTrojan View Post
    One thing to think about with all of this expansion talk...

    The larger conferences/schools are looking to dramatically increase their TV footprint by crossing traditional regional lines & adding schools who don't traditionally fit their mold. When did Texas, Oklahoma & Colorado become a part of the PACIFIC?

    With that said, the ability of the smaller conferences to do the same is going to be minimal, at best. While increasing the footprint can bring in more TV revenue, it also costs ALOT more to travel & play these "conference" games. Smaller schools/conferences simply don't have the ability to do this on a week in & week out basis. The only time we travel a significant distance is for a $$$ game & this is by design. Even with the talk of Conference USA/MWC merging, personally, I think it would suit the smaller schools better if they busted all of the remaining conferences & then created 4 new, more regional conferences. This would keep travel costs reasonable & also create great regional rivalries that would spur interest & growth between all fanbases.

    Imagine: Troy vs UAB - Troy vs Southern Miss - Troy vs South Alabama - Troy vs Memphis - Troy vs UCF - Troy vs La Tech - Troy vs Tulane - Troy vs ECU, etc.... on a yearly basis. All games that would create great match-ups/rivalries & all within reasonable travel distance to make the cost most affordable to the schools & fans.
    TMTDM v. UA's B team....one-sided fan appeal
    TMTDM v. OSM...should have happen 15 year ago
    TMTDM v. UAB-Mobile...novelty wear off pretty quickly for Cougar fan
    TMTDM v. UL-Ruston....should have happen 15 yera ago
    TMTDM v. Tulane...Tulane v. anybody have no appeal
    TMTDM v. ENC...Greenville WAAAAAAAY far away, plus they go to Big East for sure
    I'll keep it short and sweet -- Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business.

    - C. Montgomery Burns

    Hire Steve Campbell or Mike Turk...TODAY!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in Troy and Birmingham sometimes.
    Posts
    292
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I honestly love the Sun Belt for doing something no one else would have done, give a team in the middle of no where a conference to play in. But once Troy finishes the Arena plans for school, baseball, football, expansion will probably soon begin.

    We will be foolish to put blind faith in this conference because read just about every other fan base if North Texas won the conference five times in a row I guarantee you they would have gotten a MWC or WAC invite already. I really don't see this super conference thing happening yet, everyone seems like their going to pause at 14 and there is verbal opposition from the NCAA even though they can't stop it. The NCAA still would have the power to reduce scholarships again and encourage even more players away from AQ schools.

    But seriously I think we should consider applying for Conference USA instead of waiting for them to never invite us. The whole UAB would not allow it thing is overrated half of UAB fans are Alabama fans who just go because it's free they don't really care about Troy. I was just talking to a girl who goes to UAB because she was excited about Miss St game. I said something about the Troy game and she goes "Where is Troy?"

    It sounds like a rant but I just want to see us with a seat when the music stops. If we apply for membership now when the AQ teams come calling for SMU, UCF, Houston, or East Carolina we would be ready for a hopeful invite.
    "It's not how much you think you can do, it's about how much you will accomplish without making excuses"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Troy
    Posts
    3,099
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanArrow View Post
    ...I think we should consider applying for Conference USA.
    Out of CDOA, only two schools have appeal in Pike County (UA's B team and Southern Old Mississippi. Tulane? Rice? SMU? Tulsa? Texas Western? Please, those school bring 15 fan with them and TMTDM bring 15 to their place.
    I'll keep it short and sweet -- Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business.

    - C. Montgomery Burns

    Hire Steve Campbell or Mike Turk...TODAY!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    375
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanArrow View Post
    We will be foolish to put blind faith in this conference

    I could not agree more! Wright Waters WILL NOT be out in front of this thing & ultimately has ZERO power/influence on any other conference & lacks the ability to actively pursue "outside the box" ideas.

    The NCAA still would have the power to reduce scholarships again and encourage even more players away from AQ schools.

    Actually the NCAA has zero power to do this on their own. The NCAA is powerless without approval of the schools themselves...the schools ARE the NCAA. Anything you hear regarding expansion & discouragement from the NCAA office is simply them trying to protect their jobs & trying to protect the NCAA from threat of dissolving if the Super-Conferences emerge.
    I sincerely hope our Chancellor & AD are doing everything they can to stay on top & out in front of this expansion idea. IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN. If they aren't busting their @sses to position us in the right position (as TROY, not the Sun Belt) then we are going to be in deep trouble. We have never been in a more attractive position athletically & academically, but Jack & Steve better be force feeding the other conferences with this info or we stand the chance of being left out.
    The DYNASTY...was fun while it lasted

    Sun Belt Champions
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010

    New Orleans Bowl
    2006 2008 2010

    GMAC Bowl
    2009

    Silicon Valley Classic

    2004

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Enterprise, AL
    Posts
    4,623
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrueTrojan View Post
    I sincerely hope our Chancellor & AD are doing everything they can to stay on top & out in front of this expansion idea. IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN. If they aren't busting their @sses to position us in the right position (as TROY, not the Sun Belt) then we are going to be in deep trouble. We have never been in a more attractive position athletically & academically, but Jack & Steve better be force feeding the other conferences with this info or we stand the chance of being left out.
    I agree. I hope and pray that they are forward thinking and not resting on their laurels with plans to be content with wherever TROY may land in all the shuffling around. TROY and the officials that represent it need to be proactive in their efforts to jockey for position in this madness.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •