Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conference Shuffling - Part II

Default Conference Shuffling - Part II

Here we go! The rollercoaster is going up the first hill.

"The ACC Council of Presidents has voted unanimously to accept the University of Pittsburgh and Syracuse University as new members"

Tom Dienhart

Now the scramble between the Big East and the Big 12 begins to see which one can gather teams so they can survive.

Will Oklahoma stay in the Big 12? Will they go to the PAC-12?

Big East now down to 6 plus TCU coming in next year. Does the Big 12 secure OU, and then court TCU to come back west and add BYU?
    Last edited by Troy87; 09-18-2011 at 07:57 AM.
    Founding Trojan Warrior
    Trojan Warrior Council Member
    Founding Shield Society Member
    Lifetime Alumni Member
    Emerald Coast Alumni Chapter Memeber
    Pensacola Alumni Chapter Member

BIG East and CUSA will gather up teams to weed out the weak in each. West Virginia goes to the SEC. BIG East as we know it will become a "basketball conference".

My bet is the Sunbelt looks MUCH different next year. I bet the Sunbelt weathers the storm and we are a 12-16 team conference. I think CUSA disappears.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePowerMan View Post
    BIG East and CUSA will gather up teams to weed out the weak in each. West Virginia goes to the SEC. BIG East as we know it will become a "basketball conference".

My bet is the Sunbelt looks MUCH different next year. I bet the Sunbelt weathers the storm and we are a 12-16 team conference. I think CUSA disappears.
    Hmmmm. I don't see CUSA having enough "juice" to gather teams. The AQ conferences will gather teams, and the fallout will re-assemble and morph into new non-AQ conferences. A CUSA disappearance is possible, but I think more likely is that CUSA and Sunbelt merge under the CUSA name.
    Founding Trojan Warrior
    Lifetime Alumni Member

Default It all depends

What happens next is going to depend on what the Big 12 and Big East do. Are they going to try to grab teams from other conferences and rebuild or do the remaining teams bolt as soon as they find new homes?

From all reports, OK and OK state are off to the PAC 12. If this happens, then the Big 12 is down to 7 teams. So do those 7 try to add 5 or so more or do they just go looking for new home? If they try to add teams, I'm guessing they'll go for BYU and snatch TCU back from the Big East. For the last three, I'm guessing they'd go for CUSA teams like Houston, UTEP, and Tulsa. If the Big 12 gets really crazy and tries to go to 16, then that will pretty much be the end for CUSA. Especially...

if the Big East tries to rebuild. Right now, they are down to 6 teams (with TCU coming in next year to get 7). If the Big 12 doesn't fold, then the Big East will have Eastern CUSA teams, MAC, and Sunbelt teams to try to rebuild with. If this happened and the BIG 12 decided to rebuild, then CUSA is toast.

Which would actually be great for the Belt because some of the CUSA "leftovers" would be the teams that don't really fit in the East or the West. So teams like Southern MS, Tulane, Memphis, and UAB would be out there for the taking as well as La Tech. The Belt could snatch those up and find one more (Marshall might be hanging out there still, New Mexico State, or if they break up a former Big 12 or Big East school like Baylor and Cincy).

As soon as people can figure out if the Big 12 and Big East schools are going to try to rebuild or dissolve their conferences then it's on.
    You're just mad because Drew Champlin ignored your friend request on Facebook.

FliryVorru is offline GTT All-SBC Team GoTroyTrojans.Com Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Troy87 View Post
    Big East now down to 6 plus TCU coming in next year. Does the Big 12 secure OU, and then court TCU to come back west and add BYU?
    Yes. This has got to be the answer. The Big XII has to entice TCU to back away from the Big East, and then add BYU. Then if they can't get Texas A&M to be complacent they'' have to go and add someone else (Colorado State? Houston?). Either the Big East or the Big XII will fall apart.

If it's the Big East then the ACC, Big 10 and others can clean up the mess. If the Big XII falls apart I think college sports are in trouble. There's no regional way to pick up Texas, Kansas, etc. There are territorial overlaps between the Big East, ACC, MAC, CUSA, etc... but what about the Big XII? Nothing.
    SOTS '03-'07: What do we want?!?! GOOD SAX!!!

Strive for the Highest, and All Hail!

"I looked up and saw Junior running stride for stride and outrunning everybody. That's a long way for a lineman to run." - DeWhitt Betterson on Junior Louissaint running for a TD against Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by FliryVorru View Post
    Yes. This has got to be the answer. The Big XII has to entice TCU to back away from the Big East, and then add BYU. Then if they can't get Texas A&M to be complacent they'' have to go and add someone else (Colorado State? Houston?). Either the Big East or the Big XII will fall apart.

If it's the Big East then the ACC, Big 10 and others can clean up the mess. If the Big XII falls apart I think college sports are in trouble. There's no regional way to pick up Texas, Kansas, etc. There are territorial overlaps between the Big East, ACC, MAC, CUSA, etc... but what about the Big XII? Nothing.
    Actually, here's the way I see it:

The next step that absolutley HAS to take place is that the Big 12 or the Big East has to make a move immediately to start grabbing some schools.

The word is that the ACC isn't done adding teams, so that's a wildcard, but......if the Big 12 makes a move first, it has to be to secure Oklahoma from going to the PAC-12. If OU goes, OSU goes with them. If the Big 12 can secure OU/OSU, they can add BYU, which gets them back to 10. Next they will need to try and talk TCU into coming back west, but there are some hurt feelings between TCU and the Big 12 when the SW Conf broke up, and TCU wasn't asked to the party with the other Texas teams. But, I think they get TCU back anyway. After that they go after Houston or SMU (#3 & #5 markets in the country). If TCU doesn't come back, then they go for both Houston and SMU.

Now, if TCU gets wooed back to the Big 12, that leaves 6 teams in the Big East, which leaves them battered and weak. WVU then goes to the SEC. I think the SEC maybe goes after Clemson from ACC and possibly Missouri from Big 12, meaning the Big 12 is one short again. To replace Clemson and to get to 16 teams, ACC adds 3 more teams; UCF, East Carolina and USF. The 4 remaining Big East teams, Rutgers, Louisville, Connecticut and Cincinnati get sucked up to Big 10 giving them 16 teams.

The conferences then look like this;

SEC (16) - Arkansas, Alabama, Auburn, Clemson,Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, West Virginia

ACC (16) - Boston College, Duke, East Carolina, FSU, Ga. Tech, Maryland, Miami, North Carolina, NC State, Pitt, Syracuse, UCF, USF, Virginia, Va. Tech, Wake Forest

Big 10 (16) - Cincinnati, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Louisville, Michigan, Michigan St., Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio St., Penn St., Purdue, Rutgers, Wisconsin

Big 12 (12) - Baylor, BYU, Houston, Iowa St., Kansas, Kansas St., Oklahoma, Ok. State, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech.

CUSA (8) - Marshall, Memphis, Rice, Tulane, Tulsa, UAB, USM, UTEP

UTEP & Tulsa could go to WAC
    Marshall could go back to MAC

UNT could go to WAC too

Leaving 5 CUSA teams and 9 Sunbelt teams to merge into conference of 14 teams.
    Founding Trojan Warrior
    Lifetime Alumni Member

Quote Originally Posted by Troy87 View Post
    Actually, here's the way I see it:

The next step that absolutley HAS to take place is that the Big 12 or the Big East has to make a move immediately to start grabbing some schools.

The word is that the ACC isn't done adding teams, so that's a wildcard, but......if the Big 12 makes a move first, it has to be to secure Oklahoma from going to the PAC-12. If OU goes, OSU goes with them. If the Big 12 can secure OU/OSU, they can add BYU, which gets them back to 10. Next they will need to try and talk TCU into coming back west, but there are some hurt feelings between TCU and the Big 12 when the SW Conf broke up, and TCU wasn't asked to the party with the other Texas teams. But, I think they get TCU back anyway. After that they go after Houston or SMU (#3 & #5 markets in the country). If TCU doesn't come back, then they go for both Houston and SMU.

Now, if TCU gets wooed back to the Big 12, that leaves 6 teams in the Big East, which leaves them battered and weak. WVU then goes to the SEC. I think the SEC maybe goes after Clemson from ACC and possibly Missouri from Big 12, meaning the Big 12 is one short again. To replace Clemson and to get to 16 teams, ACC adds 3 more teams; UCF, East Carolina and USF. The 4 remaining Big East teams, Rutgers, Louisville, Connecticut and Cincinnati get sucked up to Big 10 giving them 16 teams.

The conferences then look like this;

SEC (16) - Arkansas, Alabama, Auburn, Clemson,Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt, West Virginia

ACC (16) - Boston College, Duke, East Carolina, FSU, Ga. Tech, Maryland, Miami, North Carolina, NC State, Pitt, Syracuse, UCF, USF, Virginia, Va. Tech, Wake Forest

Big 10 (16) - Cincinnati, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Louisville, Michigan, Michigan St., Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio St., Penn St., Purdue, Rutgers, Wisconsin

Big 12 (12) - Baylor, BYU, Houston, Iowa St., Kansas, Kansas St., Oklahoma, Ok. State, SMU, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech.

CUSA (8) - Marshall, Memphis, Rice, Tulane, Tulsa, UAB, USM, UTEP

UTEP & Tulsa could go to WAC
    Marshall could go back to MAC

UNT could go to WAC too

Leaving 5 CUSA teams and 9 Sunbelt teams to merge into conference of 14 teams.

All that thinking makes my brain hurt.

ALOT of talk today of Oklahoma, OK State, Texas & Texas Tech being close to reaching a deal with the PAC-12. One major thing to watch in this is what role the Texas politicians play. They are the one's who stepped in last year & shut down this whole scenario b/c they want the Texas schools together. With Texas A&M gone to the SEC it'll be interesting to see if they try to step in again.

Fact: The Big XII is gone. Oklahoma will not stay in the Big XII under the current revenue sharing structure. Texas won't budge on the fact that they want a larger piece of the pie in the Big XII (something they'll HAVE TO DO if they go to the PAC-12).

My Opinion, is we see this:

PAC-12 - add Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, OK State

ACC - already added Syracuse & Pitt. will add 2 of UConn/Rutgers/South Florida/Louisville

Big10 - add Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Kansas, will add 2 of UConn/Rutgers/Louisville (Missouri a wild card here)

SEC - add Texas A&M, Missouri, TCU, West Virginia

The rest - your guess is as good as mine
    The DYNASTY...was fun while it lasted

Sun Belt Champions
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010

New Orleans Bowl
    2006 2008 2010

GMAC Bowl

Silicon Valley Classic

I think Texas will get left out (by their own choice). They will not want to give up the Longhorn Network and they do not want give up the revenue. Therefore, they will be the next Notre Dame and become independant. Look for Notre Dame to enter the conference picture though. If they can't negotiate a new contract for TV rights, they will be searching for a conference.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePowerMan View Post
    I think Texas will get left out (by their own choice). They will not want to give up the Longhorn Network and they do not want give up the revenue. Therefore, they will be the next Notre Dame and become independant. Look for Notre Dame to enter the conference picture though. If they can't negotiate a new contract for TV rights, they will be searching for a conference.
    Let me pose this idea to you...bear with me

There's been ALOT of talk about 4 Super-Conferences (16-20 teams) creating a new "elite" level of college football (although I think I can speak for all of us when I say I hope this doesn't happen!!!). All with the idea of a playoff finally being implemented.

IF this does happen, you have the SEC, ACC, Big10 & PAC-whatever as the "Big 4". With each conference having 16-20 teams & ALL of the teams will have to "buy in" to their conference's revenue sharing, etc. With this structure in place....I don't see how the "Big 4" would allow there to be anymore Independents. I can't see it ever being the "Big 4 plus 2" b/c it would put Texas & Notre Dame at a HUGE advantage from a revenue standpoint. Texas & Notre Dame will have EVERY opportunity to join whatever conference they please...if they say no, it's not b/c of anything the conference has done. It's b/c Texas/Notre Dame are GREEDY & are in a sense turning their nose up at the CFB world. No chance the other teams/conferences will allow them a seat at the table. Nobody is bigger than CFB...nobody.
    The DYNASTY...was fun while it lasted

Sun Belt Champions
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010

New Orleans Bowl
    2006 2008 2010

GMAC Bowl

Silicon Valley Classic

Thread Information