Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Body Have... ?

FliryVorru is offline GTT All-SBC Team GoTroyTrojans.Com Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by redwaver View Post
    What is it about that song that is improper. Not the lyrics, not the beat...must be the area it speaks of. Maybe it is politically incorrect to be from Dixie!
    Let me say this first: I agree with you completely. I personally think it's harmless and as a teacher I've had class discussions about this song with my class. On the whole, students (black and white alike) don't seem to care. Most like the song proper, in fact. That said, if I were to guess as to why we changed it it'd be for two reasons:

1) "Dixie" was popularized around the Civil War era. That in and of itself isn't the problem. The problem is the way it was popularized, and that was through white people performing it in blackface more often than not. It was done this way a lot and most notably by Al Jolson (some of his stuff is on YouTube). It happened this way even up through the 1940's.

2) There's a recurring line in our Dixie fight song from another song called "Old Folks At Home" (some people call it "Down on the Suwanee River"). This song's a bit more derogatory in flavor, with colorful references to "darkies" thrown in.

That's all I got. I suppose I can understand why we don't have it as our fight song. Racist references are tough to argue against. Fair enough. But for people to stop playing songs like these completely just because of 150 year old sentiments..... that's stretching it.
    SOTS '03-'07: What do we want?!?! GOOD SAX!!!

Strive for the Highest, and All Hail!

"I looked up and saw Junior running stride for stride and outrunning everybody. That's a long way for a lineman to run." - DeWhitt Betterson on Junior Louissaint running for a TD against Missouri

I suppose it takes one person to be offended and it makes people nervous and fear of negative public imagery will make them change quickly. I think you hit the nail on the head, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyTuba View Post
    I suppose it takes one person to be offended and it makes people nervous and fear of negative public imagery will make them change quickly. I think you hit the nail on the head, though.
    BINGO! You hit the nail on the head! Sad isn't it? Makes you think the power our words really do have?

Back to the original point... Yes I have recordings of both the old Alma Mater and Dixie available as do a lot of SOTS members. I also have sheet music of the old Alma Mater which I do not mind making available to others.
    We are with you all the way! So, get out there team and FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! Let's win to-day!!!

What I would like it to get is A copy of DixieTrojans. The Combined Fight Song When I was there. I had it on Cassette but it does not play well anymore.

And BTW wasn't Dixie Written By a African American?
    Last edited by BDM88; 09-04-2011 at 10:00 AM.
    BDM88
    Go Trojans!!!

As We March Into Battle Our Swords Are High!

Who's Next? Any Takers?

2014 The Year Of The Last Ride Of A Legend?

No, it was written by a yankee...
    MARCH ON, TROJANS and WHO DAT?!,

The Awesome Possum

Go Troy or Go HOME!

"Jesus turned water into wine, I turn it into Liquor." - "Popcorn" Sutton

Quote Originally Posted by Possum View Post
    No, it was written by a yankee...
    Yeah. Nobody's 100% sure who wrote it, but in all likelihood is was written by a guy named Daniel Emmett (sp?). I was to say he was from Indiana or Ohio or something like that... but I'm too lazy to Google it. I'm sure Wikipedia has some insight on the matter.

"I looked up and saw Junior running stride for stride and outrunning everybody. That's a long way for a lineman to run." - DeWhitt Betterson on Junior Louissaint running for a TD against Missouri

Yeah, there is a 100% accurate source of information.....come on Robert!!!

Dixie is attributed to black-face minstrel Daniel Decatur Emmett for sure.

He is also known to have wrote other songs according to the website that promotes the arts festival named after him.

Here's the link: http://www.danemmett.org/

Here's a link from the Songwriters' Hall of Fame that details more about him.

http://www.songwritershalloffame.org/exhibits/C196
    Last edited by JPSousa1898; 09-05-2011 at 01:33 AM.
    We are with you all the way! So, get out there team and FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! Let's win to-day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TroyTuba View Post
    Yeah, there is a 100% accurate source of information.....come on Robert!!!
    See what happens when I rely on memory? Shoulda just Googled it and sounded smart...

Quote Originally Posted by BDM88 View Post
    What I would like it to get is A copy of DixieTrojans. The Combined Fight Song When I was there. I had it on Cassette but it does not play well anymore.

And BTW wasn't Dixie Written By a African American?
    I don't have it, but you might talk to Ralph Ford. I am sure he can get you a copy.

Thread Information