Thread: Hawaii Band kicks football

Default Hawaii Band kicks football

Have you guys seen this?

If so, I say the gauntlet has been thrown towards the SOTS.

Beat Hawaii! (cause I know you can)

Yea I saw this on an episode of =3. That is some really cool drill!
    Last edited by BleedingCardinal; 12-17-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    We are TROJANS one and ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cunningham View Post
    Have you guys seen this?

If so, I say the gauntlet has been thrown towards the SOTS.

Beat Hawaii! (cause I know you can)
    Link?

This is it. It's from their pregame show. This style of drill writing dates back to the 1950's and 60's and in some cases into the 70's some call it picture drill or "time and temperature" drill. The bands typically played either marches, "football marches", fight songs, or spririt songs... what we would label cheers or fightsongs today, or some rousing popular tune, jbig band jazz standard, or showtune. Usually the picture was related to this tune.

It's a very precise formation and requires extreme precision in marching. Pictures were often formed like this because bands would change music and drill every week and it made it easier for them to have a repitore of drill that was not military precision marching as the Texas A&M band does. This style of drill writing fell out of favor with the advent of the Drum and Bugle Corps movement in the 70s when free-form drill was used to accompany newer jazz forms like hot jazz, bebop, and the like as well as tunes from popular musicals. This was also around the time that there were experiments in marching percussion and marching brass (especially the french horn , which has been replaced on the field by the mellophone and a version of the french horn for marching band and bell-front baritone which has been replaced with the marching baritone and marching euphonium. On a side note, sousaphones were not used in drum corps because they did not resemble bugles and thus the contra was developed.)

I hope this little diatribe helps educate you on the history of drill design.

However, before I close, allow me tie it back in to the thread by saying I bet the SOTS could do this and do it better while playing harder music, better. BLOW SOTS!
    Last edited by Mike Cunningham; 12-18-2010 at 04:41 PM.
    We are with you all the way! So, get out there team and FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! Let's win to-day!!!

Look up FAMU if you want some impressive "picture" drill. They did one of a car with someone throwing a brick through the window while playing the song "Bust the Windows Out Your Car" and I've seen another one of them doing a a character walking while Michael Jackson songs.
    Start around 6:10 and you will see the rock thrown at the window....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybgwT...eature=related
    Last edited by TroyTuba; 12-18-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Thread Information