Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let the sots play

Navarre Trojan is offline GTT All-American GoTroyTrojans.Com Moderator

Default Since I started this thread

Quote Originally Posted by GoTrojans View Post
    Not to be rude but why is this posted in a football forum? I enjoy the SOTS and think they are a great band but they are not TROY football. They are in the same league as Barry McKnight, our PA announcers, and everyone else who is part of our University. I happen to like the music that is played on the PA system. I do agree that we need to upgrade our PA system but for the most part the people who work up in the box do a really good job....Not trying to start a SOTS war of words, just expressing my own opinion!
    I suppose I should have put this in the SOTS area, but because it was regarding the football game-day process, I thought that it would get more 'run' here. I am not affiliated with SOTS other than I think they should get a fair shake on gameday. These students are also at Troy University, most of them on scholarship, and are representing Troy. My question was/is, "why doesn't the process, game day administration, PA announcer, game day process coordinator, or WHATEVER, tell 'mixing board person' to cool-it during timeouts and in between plays so that the band can play and maybe get the crowd more into it. I know I would like that, but I am not a fan of the loud, can't understand the words but let's all jump around like wild animals' type of music. Just sayin....

I will move the thread!!
    "...The one ingredient we do have is speed, and that cures a lot of ills.” Larry Blakeney
    Lifetime Alumni Association Member
    Trojan Warrior Council Member and Donor
    Emerald Coast Alumni Chapter Member
    Trojan Shield Society

www.emeraldcoasttroyalumni.com

You know, I used to wonder the same thing when I was in the band (about the game day operation), but trying to get that or other questions answered will get you nowhere sometimes. Kind of like when your parents used to tell you "Because I said so....." I used to hate that, but now I find myself saying that to my kids, hahaha!!! I've learned to accept that it is just going to be like that most of the time.

Another possibility is that the drum major isn't paying attention to what is going on and isn't prepared for a timeout or stoppage of play. When then band doesn't crank right up, the sound guys turn on a audio clip so there won't be dead air.......just sayin'

I also think the SOTS should play the Trojan Victory March (the song they play during the pre-game) at the end of the 3rd/start of the 4th. Of course they can't do that now because we have to do that goofy FG contest for $100.

I am not in the SOTS and was not in it when I was a student, I just think that time should be spent re-energizing the fans and the team for the final Quarter, not cutting away to a commercial break for whoever sponsors the contest.
    Here's to old Troy State, we are with you all the way!

The Sound plays the first half of the fanfare at the end of the 3rd/start of the 4th. They have done this for several years now.
    Formerly melloturtle

Quote Originally Posted by sotstrojan View Post
    The Sound plays the first half of the fanfare at the end of the 3rd/start of the 4th. They have done this for several years now.
    Yeah, but we have to wait for that stupid contest to be over to even play the first half of the fanfare.
    “You want to be a Trojan? Be a Trojan.” -Larry Blakeney

We got people on the headset so we know when to play, and I guess they tell us when to play. As soon as we finish one song the next one is called up, so we're ready whenever the oppurtunity presents itself. The speed of play is so weird sometimes, there's just not much we can do to get the horns up and a decent sound.

BTW: I love playing the Fanfare at the end of the 3rd, although that stupid contest can go away
    Caleb L. Palmer
    Lambda Chi Alpha, Sigma Tau 647
    BLOW SOTS BLOW!

FliryVorru is offline GTT All-SBC Team GoTroyTrojans.Com Moderator

Please tell me someone remembers....

ARE YOU READAAAAAAAYYYYY?!?!?!

Thank heaven for Joshua Solomon.
    Last edited by FliryVorru; 10-22-2010 at 10:58 PM.
    SOTS '03-'07: What do we want?!?! GOOD SAX!!!

Strive for the Highest, and All Hail!

"I looked up and saw Junior running stride for stride and outrunning everybody. That's a long way for a lineman to run." - DeWhitt Betterson on Junior Louissaint running for a TD against Missouri

How on earth does anyone enjoy the PA music at our games? it is AWFUL!! I have never heard a positive comment in the stadium about it. How does anyone love music that you cant understand, so loud you can't hear and dominates EVERYTHING. One lady in our section last year turned around, looked up at the boxes whith her ears covered and yelled, "turn that d---- awful music down"!

Thread Information