Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whos going bowling w/ us?

Default Whos going bowling w/ us?

If we win this Saturday which I hope we do...Who do yall think will go with us to the New Orleans bowl if we are bowling there? Here is the current standings. Typically its the CUSA #4 team that selects the NO Bowl....DOES NOT always mean we would play the #4 team. If the CUSA #2 team selected to go to the NO bowl then that would happen. But typically its the #4 team. Looking at the standings and who each team has left to play i think its going to be between Marshall and Southern Miss.

EAST DIVISION W/L W/L
    East Carolina 5-1 6-4
    UAB 4-2 5-5
    UCF 4-2 6-4
    Southern Miss 4-2 6-4
    Marshall 3-3 5-5
    Memphis 1-5 2-8

WEST DIVISION W/L W/L
    SMU 5-1 6-4
    Houston 4-2 8-2
    UTEP 2-4 3-7
    Tulsa 2-4 4-6
    Rice 1-5 1-9
    Tulane 1-5 3-

Quote Originally Posted by newnan trojan View Post
    If we win this Saturday which I hope we do...Who do yall think will go with us to the New Orleans bowl if we are bowling there? Here is the current standings. Typically its the CUSA #4 team that selects the NO Bowl....DOES NOT always mean we would play the #4 team. If the CUSA #2 team selected to go to the NO bowl then that would happen. But typically its the #4 team. Looking at the standings and who each team has left to play i think its going to be between Marshall and Southern Miss.

EAST DIVISION W/L W/L
    East Carolina 5-1 6-4
    UAB 4-2 5-5
    UCF 4-2 6-4
    Southern Miss 4-2 6-4
    Marshall 3-3 5-5
    Memphis 1-5 2-8

WEST DIVISION W/L W/L
    SMU 5-1 6-4
    Houston 4-2 8-2
    UTEP 2-4 3-7
    Tulsa 2-4 4-6
    Rice 1-5 1-9
    Tulane 1-5 3-
    It's not the teams that decide who goes.

Quote Originally Posted by troyw View Post
    It's not the teams that decide who goes.
    And they aren't limiting their options to just one...

“I quit worrying about Auburn and Alabama. They’re cowards and you can print that,” he said. “Troy people would love to play them, but they’re chicken. I’m not talking about the (Alabama or Auburn) coaches and the players. I’m talking about the ones who wear the panties who make decisions.” --LB by way of the SavannahNow.com

For whatever it's worth, I would realy like a rematch with Southern Miss. That was a great game and we need to play them to keep interest up for a regular season series.

My second choice would be re-kindling the old rivalry with Central Florida. Those were some great games when we played them in the Div. II days and were always well attended. Like USM, this would be another team we need to play to build interest in for regular season series. If we could get a home-and-home with UCF, we would also tap further into the Florida pipeline of talent by getting more exposure there.

Just my two cents.
    Here's to old Troy State, we are with you all the way!

ESPN's bowl projections have us playing either Marshall or UCF for the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl.
    Caleb L. Palmer
    Lambda Chi Alpha, Sigma Tau 647
    BLOW SOTS BLOW!

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    ESPN's bowl projections have us playing either Marshall or UCF for the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl.
    The powers that be have not made the call on destinations as of yet...since there's more than one seven-win team, there are negotiations pending.

“I quit worrying about Auburn and Alabama. They’re cowards and you can print that,” he said. “Troy people would love to play them, but they’re chicken. I’m not talking about the (Alabama or Auburn) coaches and the players. I’m talking about the ones who wear the panties who make decisions.” --LB by way of the SavannahNow.com

They have MTSU on the board, or one of them does anyway. Bruce Feldman has them playing in the EagleBank bowl against UCF. Mark Schabach doesn't have them predicted anywhere that I can see.
    Last edited by MusicMan; 11-17-2009 at 10:39 PM. Reason: spelling errors
    Caleb L. Palmer
    Lambda Chi Alpha, Sigma Tau 647
    BLOW SOTS BLOW!

Thumbs up

There is a very realistic shot that the Sun Belt could have up to 4 teams bowl eligible this year. Troy, MTSU, UL-Monroe, & UL-Lafayette could all be eligible to go to bowls. If this happens expect Troy to go somewhere other than the NO Bowl. The conference is trying to push Troy to other "bigger name" bowls as we speak in an effort to maximize exposure and $$$$ for Troy & the Sun Belt conference. Do not be surprised if we end up in St. Pete, Mobile, or even somewhere like Boise. I hope the Trojan Nation will travel no matter the location. Our fan base traveling & bringing revenue to the bowl (wherever it is) is what will make Troy an attractive choice in the future for big bowl games which will go a LONG ways in taking us to the next level!!

Default Travel to Bowls

New Orleans ... Yes

St. Pete ... Yes

Mobile ... Yes

Boise ... Don't think so.

I think the fan base will hang in there for the first three but I think we'll loose the majority of our attendance if the bowl is more than a 6 hour drive. The expense of flying west will be too much for the holiday season.

St. Pete, NO, Mobile, Birmingham I can handle. Boise? I'll stay home. Flights take 6 -9 hours and cost $800 round trip. And no, I do not snow ski. Why would anyone want to go there in December, or at any other time? To eat potatoes?

Thread Information