Thread: The Day After

Default The Day After

Okay, I've read most everyone's rants, and I am shocked at the ridiculousness of the calls for Jeremy's removal.

In discussions with a couple of our GTT members prior to the game, we had come to the conclusion, the key to this game was our defensive play against the highest rated passer in the SEC. The game plan we implemented is what we agreed should have been played.

During the WKU game, we saw what happened when we pursued over-aggressively in the first half. And, we knew we had to be more disciplined in how we got up field with our defense, and not over-pursue. If we did blitz too much, we would be leaving the middle of the field open for the 15 yarder on a quick slant or skinny post. If we got into a position we had to catch up, we would have to blitz more often, and that would put even more risk of the possibility of get those type big plays against us over the middle.

The defensive game plan was exactly what we had to do....keep everything in front of us and not give up the big plays. Our secondary is still mostly inexperienced and we were playing the highest rated QB in the SEC, and one of the top rated passers in the country....yes, higher than Tebow!

Jeremy put together the best game plan he could against a stellar offense. We could not hang with them in this game. we would have had to play the perfect game to even have a chance to win. We certainly didn't do that. The players and coaches planned a good game, and the players executed very well in most cases. There were probably a handfull of plays on each side of the ball (offense and defense) that were the difference in the game being a close one with us having a chance to win, and one that ended up being the result we saw.

We do still have two games ahead of us, two games that will allow us to do something we haven't ever done in the Sunbelt before, and that's to go undefeated in conference play. We can't expect to be competitive against SEC and Big 12 foes on the road until we can prove we can dominate our own conference, and we haven't done that yet. We have the chance to do that this year, but we haven't done it yet. Once we achieve an undefeated conference season, then we can start ranting about what to expect outside the Sunbelt.

This football staff is the best in the league, and will continue to be for a while, and we will keep taking the steps we need to become a more relevant team game in and game out in the years to come. But right now, we are only at the point where we are the dominant team of the worst football conference at the FBS level. But, that product has improved tremendously in the last few years. Troy will continue to improve.

What we see happening with Boise St. and a couple others have been years in the making, and we recognize that, because we would hear the occaisional upset or blowout by someone like Boise St. Because we are so close to the Troy program, we don't see the improvement quite as readily. It's like the neice or nephew you see at a family gathering once a year versus your own kids. Since the last year when you saw the neice or nephew, they have grown 3 or 4 inches, but with your own kids, you don't see that difference so readily, even though they grew at just as steady a pace. It's happening. Step back and see where we are compared to last year, 3 years ago, 5 years ago or 10 years ago.
    Last edited by Troy87; 11-15-2009 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy87 View Post
    Okay, I've read most everyone's rants, and I am shocked at the ridiculousness of the calls for Jeremy's removal.

In discussions with a couple of our GTT members prior to the game, we had come to the conclusion, the key to this game was our defensive play against the highest rated passer in the SEC. The game plan we implemented is what we agreed should have been played.

During the WKU game, we saw what happened when we pursued over-aggressively in the first half. And, we knew we had to be more disciplined in how we got up field with our defense, and not over-pursue. If we did blitz too much, we would be leaving the middle of the field open for the 15 yarder on a quick slant or skinny post. If we got into a position we had to catch up, we would have to blitz more often, and that would put even more risk of the possibility of get those type big plays against us over the middle.

The defensive game plan was exactly what we had to do....keep everything in front of us and not give up the big plays. Our secondary is still mostly inexperienced and we were playing the highest rated QB in the SEC, and one of the top rated passers in the country....yes, higher than Tebow!

Jeremy put together the best game plan he could against a stellar offense. We could not hang with them in this game. we would have had to play the perfect game to even have a chance to win. We certainly didn't do that. The players and coaches planned a good game, and the players executed very well in most cases. There were probably a handfull of plays on each side of the ball (offense and defense) that were the difference in the game being a close one with us having a chance to win, and one that ended up being the result we saw.

We do still have two games ahead of us, two games that will allow us to do something we haven't ever done in the Sunbelt before, and that's to go undefeated in conference play. We can't expect to be competitive against SEC and Big 12 foes on the road until we can prove we can dominate our own conference, and we haven't done that yet. We have the chance to do that this year, but we haven't done it yet. Once we achieve an undefeated conference season, then we can start ranting about what to expect outside the Sunbelt.

This football staff is the best in the league, and will continue to be for a while, and we will keep taking the steps we need to become a more relevant team game in and game out in the years to come. But right now, we are only at the point where we are the dominant team of the worst football conference at the FBS level. But, that product has improved tremendously in the last few years. Troy will continue to improve.

What we see happening with Boise St. and a couple others have been years in the making, and we recognize that, because we would hear the occaisional upset or blowout by someone like Boise St. Because we are so close to the Troy program, we don't see the improvement quite as readily. It's like the neice or nephew you see at a family gathering once a year versus your own kids. Since the last year when you saw the neice or nephew, they have grown 3 or 4 inches, but with your own kids, you don't see that difference so readily, even though they grew at just as steady a pace. It's happening. Step back and see where we are compared to last year, 3 years ago, 5 years ago or 10 years ago.
    I think our defense has digressed under JR's leadership. In the early days of our D-1A experience our defense is what kept us close, or gave us a chance in a few games. Now that our offense has improved, our defense has gotten worse.

In 2001, we are down to #1 Miami 17-7 at the half and hold Miss St to 9 points in a 21-9 win.

In 2002, we lose to Nebraska 31-16 with special teams giving up to punt return TDs (defense gave up only 17 points), then we give up only 23 total points to the Hogs in a 23-0 loss.

In 2003, we loss 24-0 to Virginia, we give up only 10 first half points before losing 30-0. to Nebraska

In 2004, we hold the Gamecocks to 17 points in a 17-7 loss, and lose to LSU 24-20.

In these earlier defensive efforts we had a horrible offense, and yet our defense played tough, fought hard, and begrudgingly gave up points. Now, we can score, but our defense lets us down more often than not.

IMHO we have improved on offense and regressed on defense. We had no problems getting rid of our terrible OC and bringing in TF and then handing the offense over to NB when Franklin left. We should not make the same mistake on defense. It is time for a shake up on the defensive side of the ball. Our players are as talented as they have ever been on defense. Which helps make my point all the more. If we can't have a bad*^s, hard-hitting, smack you in the mouth defense with the talent we have, then it falls on the coaches. Our young men are playing hard. But they make too many mistakes that don't get corrected. Again, that falls on the coaches, especially JR, the DC.

In the game last night, how many times did our DE over-run on the play fake, chasing the RB down the line, before he realized that Mallett was rolling out to his right to complete a crossing pattern? Every time they ran that play-action to the left our DE ran right down the line which gave Mallett all the time he need to roll right and play "pitch and catch" with his receivers. After 1 time, the DE should have been told, "Hey, when you see them running hard to the left, the whole O-line slants to the left, and no one blocks you.....don't run down the line chasing the RB from the backside!! Get upfield and you will either run smack into Mallett, disrupt his timing, rush his throw, tip his pass, or get a sack!
    Yet that never happened. 1) Either our DE is monumentally stupid (which I doubt is the case), or 2) he was never told what to do. I suspect #2.

I know JR is not our D-line coach, but he is the DC, so he is accountable.
    I know he is a TROY man, but that does not excuse poor job performance. If anything we should expect more from him because he is a TROY man.

Loyalty is great, but hanging on to an underperforming coach for too long can have long-term consequences for our defense. Meaning, another 2-3 years of this sub-par defensive performance, and we may become known for our lack of defensive.

JR will eventually become (if he hasn't already), "Fleetwood" on the defensive side of the ball.

My main prob with the defense last night was the tackling or lack there of. They just tried to hit Arkansas players and knock them over rather than wrapping them up and pulling them down. Hench 5 or so Troy players would hit a RB before he would go down. That's been the real inconsistency in the defense I've noticed since I've been here. Some times the wrap them up and take them down other times they play touch football.

With all that being said Troy has grown leaps and bounds in just the past 4 years, I cant wait to see what the future holds!!

ohh yea, while my dad and I were watching the game last night he could have sworn he saw Tuberville on the Troy sidelines. It was just a quick shot just wondering if anyone else happened to see him?
    I am what I am and thats all I am.

he cant make the guys tackle, its not his fault they overpursued or didnt cover well. he can only call plays he cant be out there to make them
    A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.
    -- Bud Grant

GO TROJANS!!

Im shocked at ridiculous pleas to keep Rowell.

HAHAHAHA...Fire Jeremy Rowell.....HAHAHA....You have got to be kidding me! This guy had his top 2 secondary players ruled inelligable just a week or 2 before the first game. He is using players in the defensive backfield that needed another year the system to understand the scheme.

People expect Troy to be Boise State NOW. The fact of the matter is Boise went D-1 a full 5 years before Troy. The Boise coaching staff got better because they had more time to recruit better players and add more depth. Troy is doing the same thing. The coaching staff will get the tools they need to build a top 25 program. It doesn't happen overnight! 5 years ago were calling for LB to resign. I am sure glad he didn't. I am sure we will be saying the same thing about Coach Rowell 5 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dothan_Trojan97 View Post
    IIn 2001, we are down to #1 Miami 17-7 at the half and hold Miss St to 9 points in a 21-9 win.

In 2002, we lose to Nebraska 31-16 with special teams giving up to punt return TDs (defense gave up only 17 points), then we give up only 23 total points to the Hogs in a 23-0 loss.

In 2003, we loss 24-0 to Virginia, we give up only 10 first half points before losing 30-0. to Nebraska

In 2004, we hold the Gamecocks to 17 points in a 17-7 loss, and lose to LSU 24-20.
    Our defense hasn't gotten "worse". Offenses have gotten better, with the proliferation of the spread and the introduction of the wildcat and 6'7" quarterbacks. We aren't the only program giving up more points than 5-10 years ago. Almost everyone is.

Quote Originally Posted by GoTrojans View Post

People expect Troy to be Boise State NOW. The fact of the matter is Boise went D-1 a full 5 years before Troy.
    No, we just want our defense to be as good as it used to be.

You JR backers remined me of Will Ferrell in Old School. He is streaking down the street thinking everyone is with him only to turn around and he is alone. JR has been a good TROY man, but sometimes as painful as it is you need to cut the strings. We used to be known for strong D's, now we are a patsy on D. Look how many points have been put up against us the last couple of years. Look at the yards given up. Look at the collapses in the 2nd half of most games. We are on a downward D slide, and if it werent for our O we would be in some real trouble. JR has lacked the ability to make the needed adjustments. I am a loyal TROY man just like all of you on this board. But changes need to be made and they are pointing back to JR as the one that needs to go.

Thread Information