Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Halloween's Thriller

Quote Originally Posted by moosicman View Post
    My name is Brad Burke.
    Dude, I googled your name and so far I can finding nothing regarding hit songs you played on. Little help?
    Last edited by goe1975; 11-05-2009 at 11:23 PM.

...ummmm...can't we just get along and enjoy the show? Bickering like this gets us nowhere in a hurry.

I'm a current member. I show up and play. I do it for fun and enjoyment (and being at every Troy game this year!), not to be better than anyone else. Leave the competition in high school.
    SOTS Clarinets 2004-2006
    SOTS Tubas 2007- 2009
    KKPsi SPR 06
    USMC 2011-Looking on Heaven's Scenes

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBandDad View Post
    So, basically making fun of SOTS is not good enough for you? You also feel the need to rip on over 2,000 high school kids who are potential music students for Troy? Does that somehow make you feel better?
    That's right...take it to the lowest level you can take it there, Pops. "GOE you are such a hoser that you would go so far as to pick on little kids." Nice.

Hey, I simply call it like I see it. Racket is racket no matter what form it comes in. Loud does not equal good. And AGAIN, this is simply JMO.

Here is the best Thriller I have seen by a marching band this season. The Marching Chiefs of Florida State put on a pretty good show I thought. I am sure the Sound's could have been better if they would have done it without the high school bands. I would actually like to see and hear the Sound play that tune without the high school bands on the field...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zj5LggO-CQ
    Lifetime Member of Troy Alumni Association
    Trojan Warrior

[QUOTE=Troybaseball8652;134493] I am sure the Sound's could have been better if they would have done it without the high school bands. I would actually like to see and hear the Sound play that tune without the high school bands on the field...
    QUOTE]

somebody understands!!! When you have a couple thousand people performing a song who have only rehearsed together for and hour and a half when there was no audition process, just simply come and play it's not gonna sound too pretty. We are one of the few if not the only University that does our band day the way we do and it works, over all the SOTS members this year have had been to a Troy band day when the were in hs.

As for the SOTS not proving it in competitions, were not a drum corp. I cant think of any corps style college marching bands that do. I have a very negative attitude toward DCI simply because 98% of the people who march in them think they are the best ever if you didnt march DCI your not worthy to hold and instrument and you suck.(obviously exaggerating) Yes DCI shows are impressive, however any band that did the same show for four or so months practicing 6-7 days a week all day long every day would be impressive as well. To be fair I have meet several people who march corp that are awesome level headed people who can make the distinction between marching band and DCI. They all, oddly enough, have been drummers, one was even a bass tech for one this past year.

With all that being said I do respected DCI for what they are. However you cant compare DCI to college marching bands and expect a fair representation. I personally like college bands better because it's people doing it in their spare time and still put on amazing shows.

All of its is of course IMHO
    I am what I am and thats all I am.

[QUOTE=Spiritual_Trojan;134568]
    Quote Originally Posted by Troybaseball8652 View Post
    I am sure the Sound's could have been better if they would have done it without the high school bands. I would actually like to see and hear the Sound play that tune without the high school bands on the field...
    QUOTE]

somebody understands!!! When you have a couple thousand people performing a song who have only rehearsed together for and hour and a half when there was no audition process, just simply come and play it's not gonna sound too pretty. We are one of the few if not the only University that does our band day the way we do and it works, over all the SOTS members this year have had been to a Troy band day when the were in hs.

As for the SOTS not proving it in competitions, were not a drum corp. I cant think of any corps style college marching bands that do. I have a very negative attitude toward DCI simply because 98% of the people who march in them think they are the best ever if you didnt march DCI your not worthy to hold and instrument and you suck.(obviously exaggerating) Yes DCI shows are impressive, however any band that did the same show for four or so months practicing 6-7 days a week all day long every day would be impressive as well. To be fair I have meet several people who march corp that are awesome level headed people who can make the distinction between marching band and DCI. They all, oddly enough, have been drummers, one was even a bass tech for one this past year.

With all that being said I do respected DCI for what they are. However you cant compare DCI to college marching bands and expect a fair representation. I personally like college bands better because it's people doing it in their spare time and still put on amazing shows.

All of its is of course IMHO
    +1

Guys - please do NOT get into a DCI vs. Marching Band discussion - it can get really really nasty and neither side EVER gives in to the other's opinion. That discussion is NOT worthy of this board and particularly not worthy of being held in the "SOTS" portion of the board.
    TROY - All Over the World

I agree with the Band Day thing. 1000 people on a field+1 1/2 hours performence+The majority of high schools think LOUD IS GOOD=Overall good performance for all involved, but if it's noise to some jerk who think his s*** don't stink then that's his opinion.
    Caleb L. Palmer
    Lambda Chi Alpha, Sigma Tau 647
    BLOW SOTS BLOW!

*rant on*
    They're high school band kids from MULTIPLE bands lead by DIFFERENT directors with DIFFERENT interpretations of the music as well. GIVE THEM A BREAK!
    *rant off*
    We are with you all the way! So, get out there team and FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! Let's win to-day!!!

Thread Information