Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Importance of SOTS to Troy--Take Note TrojanbyBirth

I vote for a +1 button!

After seeing the SOTS perform at the West Florida Marching Classic my junior year of high school I wanted to be a Trojan! And now I am! The Sound of the South & the School of Music were the main factors in my decision to come to Troy. I'm in my 2nd year as a member of the Sound and I'm loving every minute of it! Once a Trojan, Always a Trojan!
    “You want to be a Trojan? Be a Trojan.” -Larry Blakeney

The SOTS is why I chose to come to TROY as well. Now I'm an alumni who is a band director a little outside of Atlanta. All my students are big UGA fans around here and have always went to UGA for summer band camp. Next summer I'm sending them to TROY instead because TROY offers the exact same camp experience as UGA for half the price. Hopefully this is about to start the pipeline of my students going to TROY.

Default Thank you!

Said it before and I shall say it again

I wouldn't be here without SOTS, both of my parents where in it and thats how they met.

Thank you SO SO SO much for posting that it was needed to be said and you said everything I have always felt about SOTS.

Default I was the first ...

... of my family to come to Troy ... because of the band. My sister and several nieces followed.

I was not a music major, had no desire to become one. I liked being in band in high school and wanted to keep doing it in college. Heard the Sound at the Fort Walton Beach contest (with trumpet players lined up on the sideline every two yards stretching from the twenties), heard them play Jim Mehaffey's arrangement of "after You've Gone" and knew I was going there.

That was in 1975. I am betting your can hear that same story from at least ten people in every graduating class since then. Some quick math reveals that the band is one hell of a drawing card for the school.

Saw a previous post about seeing the Sound at the Opp contest. That contest was set up by Ronnie Mallory (Troy grad and former drum major) when he was the director at OHS. It's been a great drawing card for the Sound.

SOTS are not more important than any part of Troy. But they are a proud part of the Trojan tradition.

By the way - If Mr. Ford could take a suggestion, perhaps he could pull some old Mehaffey arrangements from the library and salute him by playing a few in a future show.

Chalk up one more who went to Troy because of the SOTS...I wish you could create a poll on this forum. We can on the Scuba Toys forum and they are always fun to watch. I think I'll mention that in a separate thread.

But yes, there is no doubt that the Troy University system is (in part) what it is because of the SOTS.

FliryVorru is offline GTT All-SBC Team GoTroyTrojans.Com Moderator

At the risk of repeating about 15 people, the SotS was the reason I chose Troy over a few other schools.

I'll leave it at that for the sake of brevity.
    SOTS '03-'07: What do we want?!?! GOOD SAX!!!

Strive for the Highest, and All Hail!

"I looked up and saw Junior running stride for stride and outrunning everybody. That's a long way for a lineman to run." - DeWhitt Betterson on Junior Louissaint running for a TD against Missouri

Thread Information