Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importance of SOTS to Troy--Take Note TrojanbyBirth

Default Importance of SOTS to Troy--Take Note TrojanbyBirth

I went to Troy from 91-95. Back then there were a little less than 4000 students who attended the main campus. The band/music program was about 600 actively participating students including choral group, marching band, symphony band, etc. In addition to those folks, there were another 300 or 400 students who played in the band for one or two years (like me) that came to Troy in the first place because of the band. So roughly 1000 students or about a 1/4 of the students on campus at any given time had some affiliation to the music program at one point or another.

Additionally, the band represents the university and potential Troy students at marching band competitions, symphony band performances, clinics, and Presidential and Gubernatorial inaugurations. How many students who never attend a Troy football game decide to attend our university because of some interaction with the band and its members?

Last I checked, Troy has more band directors working throughout the Southeast than any other school. At those high schools, alot of kids in the marching band come to Troy. Also, their non-band playing friends end up following them to Troy because the "band geeks" are more passionate about going to school in Troy than just about any other group of potential students, including recruited athletes. Not to mention the thousands of SOTS alumni who sends their kids to Troy each year. Conservatively speaking, I believe even today about 25% of the main campus student body comes to Troy because of some affiliation with the music program. How much more difficult will it be to become a championship D1 football program with 25% less students?

Speaking of D1, The SOTS was a "D1 Band" long before our football team was playing the Nebraskas and Missouris of the world. When I was a kid back in the 80's, you never saw Troy State Trojan car tags in Montgomery--you saw "Sound of the South" car tags with the little bass drummer boy. Dr. Long created a brand with the SOTS that was far more recognized to the general public than any of the athletic programs. Now that we have legit D1 athletic programs, why would anyone who truly cares about Troy advocate the dissolution of other university programs that make athletic success possible?

Simply stated, the music program at Troy is what the medical school is to UAB, the law school is to Alabama, and the Vet/Ag programs are to Auburn. It is the thing our university is most known for and a critical cornerstone of any future success Troy might have, athletically, academically or otherwise. The Sound of the South is the most visible and recognizable aspect of the music program and the #1 single draw of students to Troy. Anyone who wants to see the Trojans in a BCS bowl game, the Sweet 16, or the College World Series anytime in the next ten years should be smart enough to see that...

+1

best post written on this subject ever!
    TROY - All Over the World

+1

But just to be fair. It could be argued that Troy Education/Teacher Prep program is what medical is to UAB, Ag to Auburn, etc.

In addition I would say that our accounting, nursing, and sports med/athletic training programs are first class and well known for their excellence. But I agree that our music program is arguably one of the more, if not the most, recognized programs on campus.

Speaking of music, it was good to hear Phil Kelly introduce the Alumni Band at halftime.

Exactly. Speaking for myself, I went to Troy because of the SOTS.

On a semi-related, and very funny note...someone in the stands today said that the Fanfare is the only song that causes middle school boys to hit puberty. LOL
    *~*Go Troy!*~*

If it wasn't for the SOTS, I wouldn't have gone to Troy. That's for certain.

I love this band and the people in it like family. There is something special about the SOTS that you see in very few other bands or any other organization for that matter. That's what drew me to, and keeps me with it and why I will always yell at the top of my lungs... BLOW SOTS!!!
    We are with you all the way! So, get out there team and FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! Let's win to-day!!!

The Sound of the South is the most visible and recognizable aspect of the music program and the #1 single draw of students to Troy
    Is this really true? You must have conducted this survey in Smith Hall. You may be right, but in 4 years I never met anyone who came to Troy because of the band. SOTS is a great asset, but I'm not sure it's our primary claim to fame.

I would not have attended TROY if it weren't for the SOTS. The Sound is the only reason I came here. Honestly, Troy U was my second choice under UGA, but UGA was a lot more costly than Troy, and the School of Music at Troy seemed a lot better to me. Thus, I became a Trojan in 2007.

Go TROY!

Yea I'm here at Troy, too, because of the South of the South. Since I first heard them perform at an exhibition in Opp, AL I knew that's where I was going. That was five years ago and I'm here at Troy now.

When I said the SOTS was the #1 draw to Troy, I didn't say the majority of students have some involvement with the band. I was simply stating the music program attracts more students to Troy than any other single program. Perhaps our elementary and secondary education programs are an equal draw, but since the music program also produces a great many teachers, it's difficult to compare them since they are not truly independent and unrelated programs.

Bottom line: Just because you don't know anyone who came to Troy because of band doesn't invalidate my point. If 25% of Troy students are band affiliated, you may never meet them or hang out with them, but I don't think any other single organization on campus can claim a quarter of the students came to Troy because of their sports team/drama club/academic major, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by airforcetrojan View Post
    when i said the sots was the #1 draw to troy, i didn't say the majority of students have some involvement with the band. I was simply stating the music program attracts more students to troy than any other single program. Perhaps our elementary and secondary education programs are an equal draw, but since the music program also produces a great many teachers, it's difficult to compare them since they are not truly independent and unrelated programs.

Bottom line: Just because you don't know anyone who came to troy because of band doesn't invalidate my point. If 25% of troy students are band affiliated, you may never meet them or hang out with them, but i don't think any other single organization on campus can claim a quarter of the students came to troy because of their sports team/drama club/academic major, etc.
    +1
    We are with you all the way! So, get out there team and FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! Let's win to-day!!!

Thread Information