Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Visiting Troy next week!

Um... Sasquatch, before you disrespect me, you should ask me the facts. I am NOT a closet fan, my gf and her family, whom we are staying with in Birmingham, are Alabama fans. The only reason I am able to fly and stay in Alabama is because of them. I'm at there mercy for the weekend, and I wouldn't even be ABLE to go to see Troy if it wasn't for them taking me, and I don't have a choice in the matter. Don't disrespect me like that, I have been a member before this post. Those are the facts, and I AM A TROY STUDENT, AND FAN. How rude to bash me and assume stuff on here without even asking the facts. I guess not everyone is so hospitable and friendly, eh?

Walk all of campus.

1) Movie Gallery Veterans Stadium is beautiful and a must see.
    2) Riddle Pace Field, Tailgate Terrace, and the Track/Soccer Complex
    3) Outside of Trojan Arena is really nice.
    4) Park at the stadium and walk towards the quad and you'll see the brand new education building, Hawkins Hall. GO INSIDE! It's gorgeous!
    5) Shackelford Quad, which includes Shackelford Hall, Cowart Hall, and Pace Hall. All are dorm halls but you should still check them out. Also in the "Shack" Quad there is the "Thinker" Statue. Which is one of only 3 (I think) in the world, one being here and the others at Versailles.
    6) The Quad is the central part of campus, spend a lot of your time there taking it in and taking pics of the Trojan Warrior Fountain.
    7) There's the School of Music inside Smith Hall, Long Hall (band room), Adams Administration, Bibb Graves Hall (currently closed due to renovation, but be sure to check it out it's fantastic), Math and Science Complex, McCartha Hall, GAB, and Wright Hall/Gym.
    8) Next to Long Hall is the HAL Hall of Honor, where there is a nice museum type of room with all things Troy University/Troy State
    9) At the end of that side of campus is Clements Hall, Alumni Hall, and Trojan Village. These are all dorms and unless you plan on attending the main campus no reason to go inside but you should still walk by them.
    10) Behind the quad is the Trojan Center and Barnes and Noble Bookstore. At the bookstore you can buy Starbucks coffee and buy some trojan gear! They have the best gear in town but it'll cost you. The Trojan Center has a food court which includes: Einstein Bagel Bros, Mein Bowl Chinese, Sub Connection, A&W, Chick-fil-A, Markplace (which is homemade food), and Quick Zone convience store.
    11) Behind the Trojan Center is the Golf Course. On Elm Street there is the Lunsford Tennis Complex (14 tennis courts!) and the Elm Street Gym & Pool.
    12) Across from Trojan Village building 200 is the Janice Hawkins Park, opened this summer. It's a great park with a water feature and benches, a great place to take a breather.

That's about it, I'm sure I've left some things off but those are the main places on campus to check out! I hope you enjoy your visit! And it's a shame that your blowing off an amazing Troy game for a Bama game, BOO! Oh and yeah since you'll be in town on a thursday be sure to come to Movie Gallery Veterans Stadium at 7pm to see the Sound of the South Marching Band have their rehearsal. You will be amazed! Ha and then you can go to the Bama game and tell them how crappy their band is compared to the Troy Sound of the South!!
    Last edited by troy4ever21; 10-14-2009 at 02:34 PM.
    “You want to be a Trojan? Be a Trojan.” -Larry Blakeney

And not only am I a fan, 3 years ago, I was a FAU fan.( I live 20 minutes from campus) When I decided to finish my B.S at Troy, without even stepping FOOT on campus, I immediately switched allegiance and became a Trojan fan. I have been to all the games here (FAU, and this week at FIU) and really don't appreciate your "closet" comment, when I simply was asking what I can do in Troy on a Thursday, because it's the only day I have there and would like to make the most of it. How rude.

Don't pay him any attention, SoFlaTrojan. He said himself that he cheers for Bama, so he's just as bad as any other closet fan out there. Take in the campus, and enjoy the good eats around town. Don't expect anything mind-blowing, but it is an admirable campus with lots of good people on it.

Go TROY!

P.S. Seriously, try and make it to the SOTS rehearsal in the Gallery. It's the best marching band around here, and you'll enjoy it even if you just appreciate any type of music.

Thank you so much Troy4ever21, That is exactly what I was looking for, plus the food places to eat at that people have been talking about.

If you read my reply to Mr. Rude (Sasquatch) about my "closet" status, I'm sure you can see that is not the case, and I don't have a say in the matter, I kind of have to go to that game, and spent many nights fighting with my girlfriend about the fact that I would have rather gone to the homecoming game, but since I am staying with her family in Birmingham, and they are the ones who are flying us out there and bought our tickets, there is not much I can do, so all I can do is shut up and enjoy my Thursday touring my school.

Thanks guys, and keep the ideas coming. I'll see you all in Miami who are coming to the FIU game.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaTrojan26 View Post
    And not only am I a fan, 3 years ago, I was a FAU fan.( I live 20 minutes from campus) When I decided to finish my B.S at Troy, without even stepping FOOT on campus, I immediately switched allegiance and became a Trojan fan. I have been to all the games here (FAU, and this week at FIU) and really don't appreciate your "closet" comment, when I simply was asking what I can do in Troy on a Thursday, because it's the only day I have there and would like to make the most of it. How rude.
    Be sure to look us up at the tailgate this weekend. We would like to show you some true Southern hospitality.

BTW, don't let the "negative nellies" on this board get you down. Some on this board have an inferiority complex and you unknowingly fell into that trap!

TroyDrum, thank you, and this may be surprising to hear, but I am a HUGE marching band fan. I was in band and played High School football, so I love both very much, and am a HUGE SOTS fan, and was BLOWN AWAY when you guys game to Lockhart to play FAU. The fan fare (love the Trill!) and the fight song give me goosebumps! I hope that members of SOTS will be out haning out at the tailgates at FIU this week!

Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaTrojan26 View Post
    Thank you so much Troy4ever21, That is exactly what I was looking for, plus the food places to eat at that people have been talking about.

If you read my reply to Mr. Rude (Sasquatch) about my "closet" status, I'm sure you can see that is not the case, and I don't have a say in the matter, I kind of have to go to that game, and spent many nights fighting with my girlfriend about the fact that I would have rather gone to the homecoming game, but since I am staying with her family in Birmingham, and they are the ones who are flying us out there and bought our tickets, there is not much I can do, so all I can do is shut up and enjoy my Thursday touring my school.

Thanks guys, and keep the ideas coming. I'll see you all in Miami who are coming to the FIU game.
    No problem! Once on campus grab a map (or print one off from the troy website) and with my list you'll be golden! Don't worry about people like him, it's understandable. We have been fighting forever to get Bama and Auburn people off our campus... I hate seeing my fellow students wearing Bama crap and Auburn crap... It sickens me, so his response is expected even if it's rude. However, I understand your situation and I'm sorry lol... So good luck!

And to go on with what TroyDrum has said if you can stay all night, BE SURE to go to the Gallery and see the Sound of the South's rehearsal. If you want the whole "TROJAN" feel and experience stop by and watch us! We're one of the best bands in the nation and we'll put on a good show, even though it's a rehearsal we treat it as a performance. And that's great that you got to see us at FAU, glad to have a fan! The SOTS was the main reason when I was in high school for choosing Troy, now I'm a full blooded Trojan!
    Last edited by troy4ever21; 10-14-2009 at 02:46 PM.
    “You want to be a Trojan? Be a Trojan.” -Larry Blakeney

Thanks TroyW I will definitely be there with my buddy Phil. I can't wait to hang out with "real" Trojan fans, and even though I will be sitting in General Admission, I hope to sneak into the Trojan block. How do I know who I'm looking for out there? I know I'm also looking for BMarkey to hang out with.. I'm just so pumped for this. Since I don't live there I get to look forward to either the FAU or FIU games!

Definitely, Troy4ever..
    I went to FSU for a year, and fell in love with the Marching Chiefs, and would go to their "skull session" rehearsals before games and loved it, So I don't see why I wouldn't love the SOTS. As a former trombone player and marching band member I definitely have a ton of respect for the SOTS. I have already tried to look for a CD and have been unsuccesful.

Thread Information