Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old SOTS Rumor.

FliryVorru is offline GTT All-SBC Team GoTroyTrojans.Com Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sotsclarinet08 View Post
    Postgames are for home team's bands.
    Not trying to be a jerk, but that's completely wrong.

Postgame is for whoever wants to stick around and play. It's like that in every place I've played at collegiately, both at Troy and Florida. Sometimes the directors want to stick around and jam, sometimes they want to get on the bus and go home. sometimes they leave it up to the feelings of the staff and drum major. It's all very situational.

When the Sound travels whether we win or loose we play the fight song then maybe the Fanfare, that's it.
    This is only true sometimes. I realize that in the last year or two this may be true, however it is not the rule by any means. More often than not we have stuck around and gone back and forth with whatever band will do the same, but it's situational. For example, La-La's band are good people and have usually played a few songs back and forth with us after the games at their place. The same can be said for when we've played at MTSU, UAB, even Georgia Tech. However, if you go to a place like North Texas or Florida where their bands have a performance obligation immediately following the game, they're gonna bust out of there rather quickly and not worry about what the opposite band is doing.

Again, everything is very situational.
    SOTS '03-'07: What do we want?!?! GOOD SAX!!!

Strive for the Highest, and All Hail!

"I looked up and saw Junior running stride for stride and outrunning everybody. That's a long way for a lineman to run." - DeWhitt Betterson on Junior Louissaint running for a TD against Missouri

Thanks Bob, you know what I'm talking about.

I can think of a time or 2 when the SOTS has had to cut and run after a game to make an exhibition or 2.

Like the other guys have said, you can't cookie-cutter these situations.

Besides that, a lot of times, the last thing on a band director's mind is the other band and things don't always get communicated, so don't fault the directorates either. It's just the way it is man. Besides that, who REALLY cares? Aren't we all there to have fun anyway? I hope so, band is spelled F-U-N. :)
    We are with you all the way! So, get out there team and FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! Let's win to-day!!!

I'm old as dirt and I've been a band director for 21 years now, but I've been at more than one game in an opposing stadium (multiple times as a member of the SOTS and at least once I can remember when I was a band director) when we had the lights turned out on us during post-game because we had been playing for 45 minutes or longer and I guess the stadium staff was ready to go. Some of the old Troy-Jacksonville post-games were classic...and incredibly long (no pun intended:-).

There is no rule that says only the home team plays post-game. As a band director if I'm in Enterprise and know I have a 2.5-3 hour drive to get home I'm probably going to play the fight song and leave. However, if we just won the ballgame in triple overtime or something and our fans are fired up I'm going to stay and play until they leave. It depends on the situation.

If it's a local game and traffic is going to be horrendous I'd rather stay in the stands and play while people filter out than load the equipment and buses and sit in traffic for an hour to travel five miles. Several years ago we played the Smiths Station-Central Phenix City game over there and their band director was a good friend of mine (and a fellow Troy graduate). We had a great time going back and forth after the game and also had an amazing number of people hang around just to listen to the bands.

I don't post often...but I lurk every day. Sorry...just couldn't let this one pass.
    Rusty Courson
    Smiths Station, Alabama

"The sun never sets on Troy State" - Ralph Adams

Rusty has spoken. Nuff said.
    We are with you all the way! So, get out there team and FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! Let's win to-day!!!

If anyone was wondering the renovations to the School of Music are almost complete! Actually they are, professors are moving back in but there are a few things not done. It's beautiful and looks very professional! I'll upload some pics this weekend so you guys/gals can see it if u can't make it down anytime soon.

Troy University, the #1 public university in the State of Alabama!

Atlanta Journal-Constitution, senior sports writer Furman Bisher offered
    this commentary: “The Trojans came to town…and they brought one helluva band!”

Default JUst one more comment ...

... from another really old alum.

As far as the original post, I have no personal knowledge and can't shed direct light on it,. But I do remember hearing that that everyone was very complimentary of all things Nebraska, from the fans to the staff. The Cornhusker fans were really good and loved the band.

I do remember hearing something about the SOTS being mentioned in schools wanting Troy for cash games. The SOTS are a draw and many schools knew it and (May have) wanted the band to be in any game their school played with Troy. Might have been crap, but it was a huge compliment.

As far as post-game, Every game I have ever been to saw both bands play turn-in-turn at post-game until one band decided to leave. Back in the day, Dr, Long would pull out "Stars and Stripes" and the other band was packing up by the time the pic solo came up.

Those were good times, and the Jax State post games were outstanding.

Just my two centavos ...

Thread Information