Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Old SOTS Rumor.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,792
    Rep Power
    26

    Default Old SOTS Rumor.

    Now that I know I have some Sound members and alumni on here I have got to ask a question that has kinda bugged be for a few years.

    I heard that just after Troy entered Divison I-A and started travelling one of the elite BSC schools (I think it might have been Nebraska but I'm not sure) put a clause in the football contract that when Troy came back or if they wanted to renew a series then the Sound of the South would not be allowed to travel with the team because of either they didn't want to give up their seats or that the Sound totally blew away thier band.

    I heard that while I was a student and there was no way for me to check that out. Any truth to it?

  2. #2
    Navarre Trojan's Avatar
    Navarre Trojan is offline GTT All-American GoTroyTrojans.Com Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Shalimar Florida
    Posts
    3,394
    Rep Power
    36

    Default To my knowledge

    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanWarrior418 View Post
    Now that I know I have some Sound members and alumni on here I have got to ask a question that has kinda bugged be for a few years.

    I heard that just after Troy entered Divison I-A and started travelling one of the elite BSC schools (I think it might have been Nebraska but I'm not sure) put a clause in the football contract that when Troy came back or if they wanted to renew a series then the Sound of the South would not be allowed to travel with the team because of either they didn't want to give up their seats or that the Sound totally blew away thier band.

    I heard that while I was a student and there was no way for me to check that out. Any truth to it?
    no school has denied the SOTS coming to any of the away games. However, most of the "BIG" schools require that their seats be part of the ticket package alloted to Troy. I know that these seats have to be purchased for them to attend. Unlike Troy, who allows the visiting schools to bring their bands without charge.

    Troy's policy may have changed in the past 2 or 3 years, but I know that in the past visiting teams band was welcomed at no seat costs.
    "...The one ingredient we do have is speed, and that cures a lot of ills.” Larry Blakeney
    Lifetime Alumni Association Member
    Trojan Warrior Council Member and Donor
    Emerald Coast Alumni Chapter Member
    Trojan Shield Society

    www.emeraldcoasttroyalumni.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Columbus, GA
    Posts
    585
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    The only school that brings their band is MTSU.

    Troy University, the #1 public university in the State of Alabama!

    Atlanta Journal-Constitution, senior sports writer Furman Bisher offered
    this commentary: “The Trojans came to town…and they brought one helluva band!”

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    47
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    UAB is coming this year

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Columbus, GA
    Posts
    585
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Well I guess that's an improvement from the Alcorn band....

    Troy University, the #1 public university in the State of Alabama!

    Atlanta Journal-Constitution, senior sports writer Furman Bisher offered
    this commentary: “The Trojans came to town…and they brought one helluva band!”

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chickentown, AL
    Posts
    1,422
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Troy has always understood the importance of having one's band present at a game for the promotion of school spirit and for the promotion of healthy rivalries between schools. I am glad that Troy doesn't charge other schools to bring their bands here and I wish more schools would bring their bands. I always enjoy seeing other bands and MGVMS is a wonderful venue to play and march in. It always has been. The acoustics really help bands sound better.

    If you're a rival school's fan reading this, please encourage your school to bring its band to Troy when you play us. We love band at Troy and we love seeing other bands!

    BLOW SOTS!
    We are with you all the way! So, get out there team and FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! Let's win to-day!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Troy, AL
    Posts
    1,355
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sotsclarinet08 View Post
    Well I guess that's an improvement from the Alcorn band....

    That's a bit of negative attitude to have, just because they were not up to your standards, doesn't mean that they deserve a negative light cast upon them. You should be happy that a band came to Troy and support them......

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Columbus, GA
    Posts
    585
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TroyTuba View Post
    That's a bit of negative attitude to have, just because they were not up to your standards, doesn't mean that they deserve a negative light cast upon them. You should be happy that a band came to Troy and support them......
    I wasn't referring to how well they played or marched. I guess I can't have an opinion on that.... However, the way they acted was inappropriate. Playing during the dedication of the Trojan statue and staying and playing during OUR postgame performance, to name a few. I'm glad they came, it was a change from not having any bands there since our conference's schools can't afford to send their bands, which is a shame. I'd love to have all the other bands come to Troy like MTSU does. I hope that in future seasons other SBC schools will send their bands to away games like the University and Uncle Jack do for us. We are very lucky!

    Troy University, the #1 public university in the State of Alabama!

    Atlanta Journal-Constitution, senior sports writer Furman Bisher offered
    this commentary: “The Trojans came to town…and they brought one helluva band!”

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Troy, AL
    Posts
    1,355
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sotsclarinet08 View Post
    I wasn't referring to how well they played or marched. I guess I can't have an opinion on that.... However, the way they acted was inappropriate. Playing during the dedication of the Trojan statue and staying and playing during OUR postgame performance, to name a few. I'm glad they came, it was a change from not having any bands there since our conference's schools can't afford to send their bands, which is a shame. I'd love to have all the other bands come to Troy like MTSU does. I hope that in future seasons other SBC schools will send their bands to away games like the University and Uncle Jack do for us. We are very lucky!
    Do you think that they knew that we were dedicating a statue? Why should they not stay and play during postgame? They drove all that way and the Sound does it all the time. I am not attacking you, but I am curious as to why you say you wish more bands would come to Troy and then turn around and make comments about one that did, is all.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Columbus, GA
    Posts
    585
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TroyTuba View Post
    Do you think that they knew that we were dedicating a statue? Why should they not stay and play during postgame? They drove all that way and the Sound does it all the time. I am not attacking you, but I am curious as to why you say you wish more bands would come to Troy and then turn around and make comments about one that did, is all.
    Postgames are for home team's bands. When the Sound travels whether we win or loose we play the fight song then maybe the Fanfare, that's it. As far as playing during the dedication ceremony for the statue, come on it's common sense. If an announcer is announcing something, like a speech, most people would be like, "Hey stop playing we might need to hear this." And yeah more bands should come to MGVS, I'm all for it. I realize that Alcorn is a completely different type of marching band and I love HBCU bands. FAMU and Southern are amazing at doing the booty-shaking stuff, BUT THEY CAN PLAY TOO! The 20th Century Fox Fanfare that FAMU plays gives me chills... If your going to do the whole booty-shaking thing you better sound good, Alcorn didn't. I'm sorry. I enjoyed them and they were a change from the normal ,which is a good thing. MTSU's band is fantastic, I love seeing them, and look forward to seeing them perform again at MGVS. I also hear that UAB's band is coming. I have never seen them or looked them up on Youtube, so I'm looking forward to their performance.

    Sorry if I seemed defensive. It's band camp week lol... I'm tired and antsy and I guess I took it as a attack.
    Last edited by sotsclarinet08; 08-08-2009 at 10:19 PM.

    Troy University, the #1 public university in the State of Alabama!

    Atlanta Journal-Constitution, senior sports writer Furman Bisher offered
    this commentary: “The Trojans came to town…and they brought one helluva band!”

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •