Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I weird?

Default Am I weird?

Ok, so I know that there are KKPsi, TBS, PMA, and SAI, but I was wondering if anyone else is like me and Fusco and joined a social fraternity or soriety on here?
    Caleb L. Palmer
    Lambda Chi Alpha, Sigma Tau 647
    BLOW SOTS BLOW!

Plenty of SOTS have been strictly social over the years. The reason there's a lot of PMAS, SAI, KKY, TBS, and PBr is that those people believe in music and band so strongly that they decided to join an organization that believed in those causes as strongly as they did.
    We are with you all the way! So, get out there team and FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! Let's win to-day!!!

FliryVorru is offline GTT All-SBC Team GoTroyTrojans.Com Moderator

Back in the day, half of the drumline was Delta Chi... I came up with at least a dozen or so people off the top of my head just thinking about my first year in school. I think the reason you may not notice social frat brothers or sorority sisters as readily as a music group member is because of the nature of the organizations, like JPSousa said. Music groups are going to rep their stuff at the place they love, like band. Other frats may not do that on the band field, per say.

Another HUGE factor is that social frats around campus don't wear letter jerseys or shirts nearly as often as the music organizations do. It's not to say one is better or worse, it's just a fact of the matter.
    SOTS '03-'07: What do we want?!?! GOOD SAX!!!

Strive for the Highest, and All Hail!

"I looked up and saw Junior running stride for stride and outrunning everybody. That's a long way for a lineman to run." - DeWhitt Betterson on Junior Louissaint running for a TD against Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by FliryVorru View Post
    Back in the day, half of the drumline was Delta Chi... I came up with at least a dozen or so people off the top of my head just thinking about my first year in school. I think the reason you may not notice social frat brothers or sorority sisters as readily as a music group member is because of the nature of the organizations, like JPSousa said. Music groups are going to rep their stuff at the place they love, like band. Other frats may not do that on the band field, per say.

Another HUGE factor is that social frats around campus don't wear letter jerseys or shirts nearly as often as the music organizations do. It's not to say one is better or worse, it's just a fact of the matter.
    And way, WAY back in the day, when the "Color Guard" was just an after-thought (and was all-male!), it was quite prestigious for a social fraternity brother to be picked (via audition) to march in "the guard". (Delta Chi kinda had a monopoly on it back in the late 70s). My my my.
    TROY - All Over the World

Quote Originally Posted by FliryVorru View Post

Actually, most of the socials are getting into wearing the letters more often now. It's not really sorieties that this is going on with, it's the fraternities. I know we have a TKE, DX, loads of ATO's and LXA's, but just doesn't seem like there's that many around...idk, I may just be crazy
    Caleb L. Palmer
    BLOW SOTS BLOW!

Again, compared to the music frats, the numbers are going to be quite minute because of another fact. More and more high school musicians are dropping out before they reach the collegiate band experience because they feel that it's going to be uber competitive like their high school band. This is one more reason why band directors should be urged to make band fun moreso than trying to compete for every little trophy out there. Contests are good, but what good are they if they go against the prime objective of making life-long musicians out of our students? Just something to chew on, I don't mean to stir the pot on this, even though I know I have. No offense to anyone for sure!
    We are with you all the way! So, get out there team and FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! Let's win to-day!!!

No offenese taken here, I completely agree with you on that. I love contests, but if a director is more about a trophy than about his/her students, then that director has lost sight of what being a musician truly means. I want to be a director one day, and I know that my first goal is to make my students into the best musicians that they can be, not get my band recognized because I run a band boot camp.
    Caleb L. Palmer
    BLOW SOTS BLOW!

FliryVorru is offline GTT All-SBC Team GoTroyTrojans.Com Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMan View Post
    Actually, most of the socials are getting into wearing the letters more often now. It's not really sorieties that this is going on with, it's the fraternities. I know we have a TKE, DX, loads of ATO's and LXA's, but just doesn't seem like there's that many around...idk, I may just be crazy
    I'm glad they are wearing letters more, I think that's a great thing for a fraternity to do. It builds pride, a sense of identity, and allows other fraternities to see who else is out there.
    SOTS '03-'07: What do we want?!?! GOOD SAX!!!

Strive for the Highest, and All Hail!

"I looked up and saw Junior running stride for stride and outrunning everybody. That's a long way for a lineman to run." - DeWhitt Betterson on Junior Louissaint running for a TD against Missouri

Face it, in general, we are "band geeks" for the most part and it is a rare thing that non-music fraternities and sororities see band as advancing the social cause (for the most part). I believe, too, that many socials have many events and things planned, especially in the fall and that makes being in band difficult (but not impossible).

Back in my days as an active TKE we saw the band as a Gold Mine of opprotunity. We knew, generally speaking, that the band members were more active in school, had better grades, and had a better social network than other students. I remember recruiting seveal band members over the years. We also iniated seveal KKpsi brothers into the fraternity. Ahhh those were the days.

Thread Information