Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conference "6-6" On Last Leg; OSM Left Out In Cold

Default Conference "6-6" On Last Leg; OSM Left Out In Cold

Commercial Appeal
    Memphis Tiger Blog

Memphis Future Move

The future for UM athletics could include a conference upgrade. Sources within the Tiger Athletic Department have confirmed what many have speculated - the Tigers are planning a move to The Big East Conference. They would be followed by East Carolina. Sources indicate that Big East officials have met with Memphis and East Carolina officials about future football scheduling to ease the transition. Obviously, this would be a welcome move for football because who can get excited about playing UTEP, SMU or Rice. For basketball it would be a goldmine.
    Which leads to the next question: What will OSM do after Conference "6-6" turns into Private School League? They want to lose to Boise so much, maybe they join WAC? Start big rival with LaTech, New Mexico State and Utah State. That get fans all riled up.
    I'll keep it short and sweet -- Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business.

- C. Montgomery Burns

Hire Steve Campbell or Mike Turk...TODAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ho View Post
    Which leads to the next question: What will OSM do after Conference "6-6" turns into Private School League? They want to lose to Boise so much, maybe they join WAC? Start big rival with LaTech, New Mexico State and Utah State. That get fans all riled up.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRock View Post
    Laugh now my friend, laugh now.
    I'll keep it short and sweet -- Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business.

- C. Montgomery Burns

We need to be ready when this happens. Get that basketball arena built ASAP. Will be our chance to jump into C-USA. I know, I know, the way it stands right now, jumping from the Sun Belt to C-USA is like stepping on dog crap with one foot, and in trying to get off of it, you step in another pile of dog crap with the other foot. But there is a bit more prestige given to C-USA, whether deserved or not, and that 8-4 co-championship season with no bowl last year has the Sun Belt forever soiled in my eyes, and Wright Waters continued his mastery of the idiotic this year with the secondary bowl tie-in fiasco. C-USA will be better football-wise with us than they were with Memphis anyway. Heck, FAU blew Memphis out. Maybe get La Tech to jump in with us. Wouldn't be a super jump for our program but our stay in the Sun Belt is getting more stale by the year. I feel like our football program has just about outgrown it. I'm tired of the stigma that people attach to the Sun Belt even though it has improved a lot. I don't want us to forever be one of "those Sun Belt teams" - I'd rather be one of "those C-USA teams", even if that's like them saying we're homely instead of butt-ugly, just because of our conference affiliation.

Ever see that movie, "Sweet Home Alabama" in which the girl is pretty, intelligent, successful, has all kinds of friends in high places, and is engaged to the mayor of New York City's son, but she doesn't want anyone to know about the double-wide in which her parents live, the Civil War re-enactments in which her dad participates, all her beer-swilling buddies at the honky-tonk pool hall, and the husband she never divorced who won't sign the papers? That's how Troy's is undeservedly viewed a lot of the time because of the conference we are in, despite our excellent football team. Our conference needs to be an asset for us, not a hindrance.

i agree, even if it is a lateral move, it's a lateral move that will improve our perception. let's jump ship and find a place in C-USA. i think we're probably one of the more tempting choices for them to refill one of these vacancies anyways. I'd like to see Middle jump with us.

Autauga County Troy Alumni Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Delta Chi View Post
    i agree, even if it is a lateral move, it's a lateral move that will improve our perception. let's jump ship and find a place in C-USA. i think we're probably one of the more tempting choices for them to refill one of these vacancies anyways. I'd like to see Middle jump with us.
    You people fool to think CDOA would help. How SMU, Rice, UTEP and Tulsa help bring bigger crowd. It become total basketball conference and that not good for us. They lose bowl tie-in (although Wright Water not capable of walking and chew gum at same time).

TMTDM move not happen. My source deep in SunBelt office say Old Southern Misssissy talk to them about when happen. They join 'Belt. Join real football conference. CDOA become private school league.

- C. Montgomery Burns

You people fool to think CDOA would help. How SMU, Rice, UTEP and Tulsa help bring bigger crowd. It become total basketball conference and that not good for us. They lose bowl tie-in (although Wright Water not capable of walking and chew gum at same time).

TMTDM move not happen. My source deep in SunBelt office say Old Southern Misssissy talk to them about when happen. They join 'Belt. Join real football conference. CDOA become private school league.
    i'd rather a few of the regional C-USA teams move into the 'Belt, but i don't see that happening until we secure more bowl tie-ins.

Autauga County Troy Alumni Chapter

Smile

Yeah...you guys are certainly on equal footing with C-USA...with your champion playing our 6th place team...What will you say if Southern Miss beats you?....hmmmmm?...28 - 14, Southern Miss....

If the move is for USM to join the Sun Belt instead of us joining C-USA, would that one addition be enough to strengthen our conference into a better level of respectability? I would be fine with just surpassing one other conference so we are not perceived as rock bottom. I guess with the addition of South Alabama's football program, that's possible in the near future, if the Jags succeed, but they have a ways to go starting from scratch. Would then be 11 teams, so I would like to add one more quality football program. Maybe Central Florida (iffy - they haven't done much lately), La Tech or Tulsa? I am not sure who else there would be. First order of business if we stay in the Sun Belt is that Wright Waters needs to go enjoy retirement somewhere far away. Then grab the few good teams left in C-USA and then maybe we can pass them on the prestige meter.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer71 View Post
    If the move is for USM to join the Sun Belt instead of us joining C-USA, would that one addition be enough to strengthen our conference into a better level of respectability? I would be fine with just surpassing one other conference so we are not perceived as rock bottom. I guess with the addition of South Alabama's football program, that's possible in the near future, if the Jags succeed, but they have a ways to go starting from scratch. Would then be 11 teams, so I would like to add one more quality football program. Maybe Central Florida (iffy - they haven't done much lately), La Tech or Tulsa? I am not sure who else there would be. First order of business if we stay in the Sun Belt is that Wright Waters needs to go enjoy retirement somewhere far away. Then grab the few good teams left in C-USA and then maybe we can pass them on the prestige meter.
    The answer to your first question is absolutely not.

Thread Information