PDA

View Full Version : 119 Teams in BCS and only 20 have....

ThePowerMan
04-14-2008, 09:37 PM
119 Teams in BCS and only 20 have 5 home games or less.

Akron
Arkansas State
Bowling Green
Central Michigan
Eastern Michigan
FAU
FIU
Fresno State
Kent State
Louisiana-Lafayette
Louisiana-Monroe
Middle Tennessee
Navy
North Texas
Ohio U.
Troy
*Stanford
Temple
Western Kentucky
Western Michigan

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=rivals-213364&prov=rivals&type=lgns

I could be wrong on the total Formerly D1A schools total but still......nearly 100 D1-A schools have atleast six home games. What's up with that? And look at the list......we're in pretty bad company. I hope some of these games we are scheduling are 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 deals. 1 for 1 would be great but lets be honest......we can't get em to come right yet.

TUrocks
04-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Most of that list is Sunbelt and MAC......it's not surprising.

Navarre Trojan
04-15-2008, 06:56 AM
119 Teams in BCS and only 20 have 5 home games or less.

Akron
Arkansas State
Bowling Green
Central Michigan
Eastern Michigan
FAU
FIU
Fresno State
Kent State
Louisiana-Lafayette
Louisiana-Monroe
Middle Tennessee
Navy
North Texas
Ohio U.
Troy
*Stanford
Temple
Western Kentucky
Western Michigan

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=rivals-213364&prov=rivals&type=lgns

I could be wrong on the total Formerly D1A schools total but still......nearly 100 D1-A schools have atleast six home games. What's up with that? And look at the list......we're in pretty bad company. I hope some of these games we are scheduling are 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 deals. 1 for 1 would be great but lets be honest......we can't get em to come right yet.

REALIZE that in order to have 6 home games, we have to give up Ohio St., LSU, OSU, FL, Ark, etc., in order to play Alabama St., Ball St., Akron (oh yeah, we already have them), etc. Most believe that the trade off is better to go on the road and play the "big boys" than to have home games to a much lesser level of competition. The hardest thing to realize, it seems, is that these 'big boy' schools ARE NOT coming to Troy.

ThePowerMan
04-15-2008, 08:21 AM
I still would like to see us trade off a few games with C-USA teams and maybe even a 2 for 1 or something like that with smaller SEC, ACC, etc schools. It takes a good A.D. and marketing program to make it happen. Say what you will about Johnny Williams but he brought the big schools to Troy. I know......we won and now nobody wants to come but I bet he would not have given up. We need at least one pretty exciting Out of Conference game each year in MGS. Bring Southern Miss, bring Tulsa, bring East Carolina, bring Miss State, bring Duke. Then we start getting some respect.

I am not saying to get rid of the LSU and OSU away games. Just trade something off for one more exciting home game.

Trojan1998
04-15-2008, 11:22 AM
I still would like to see us trade off a few games with C-USA teams and maybe even a 2 for 1 or something like that with smaller SEC, ACC, etc schools. It takes a good A.D. and marketing program to make it happen. Say what you will about Johnny Williams but he brought the big schools to Troy. I know......we won and now nobody wants to come but I bet he would not have given up. We need at least one pretty exciting Out of Conference game each year in MGS. Bring Southern Miss, bring Tulsa, bring East Carolina, bring Miss State, bring Duke. Then we start getting some respect.

I am not saying to get rid of the LSU and OSU away games. Just trade something off for one more exciting home game.

USM's AD told Johnny back in 2004 that USM would play Troy, but only in Mobile or Hattiesburg. I'm not sure if USM feels any differently four years later.

Since we punked MSU in their crib in 2001 and almost did again in 2002, I doubt that they'll put Troy on their schedule again anytime soon (be it in Starkville or anywhere else for that matter).

Once MTSU hangs an 'L' on one of those so-called big boys who are making trips to Murfreesboro, you'll begin to see MTSU having trouble scheduling home games against teams from elite conferences as well.

I'd love to play USM, Memphis, Tulane, etc. at home in The Gallery, but it seems like we're going to have to offer a big payday for those schools to venture into Pike County.

Troy87
04-15-2008, 11:29 AM
I appreciate everyone's desire to have a CUSA or lower tier SEC/ACC/Big East team come to Troy, but how would that come to pass.

Based on my knowledge of things, there are no takers from these schools to come to Troy. We, in essence, have a 2 for 1 with Ok. St. (really a 1 and 1, plus 1), but no others have been willing to make that trip.

Here's my reasoning why!

First, when we were first coming up, we weren't "worth the time" of the bigger schools to even consider a trip to Troy in exchange for a return trip or even two. Why? Because that school wants a home game that does one of two things; guarantee a win, or guarantee a big gate. Back then, if we go to another mid-major school for a game, we might have been a win, and we certainly didn't guarantee a big gate.

Fast forward to Marshall, Missouri and now Ok St. We now have presence (to an extent), such that we may provide a decent gate, but we also provide a better than average chance of a loss to the home team. Just like every other mid-major school (in a conference with more than one bowl tie-in), they are playing for wins to get that bowl game.

In a conference like CUSA that has 6 bowl ties (for now), they have 8 conference games, 4 at home, 4 away. They want at least two more home games, and preferably ones they can win. If they can get four conference wins, and two home OOC wins to passify their fans, they can also go on the road for $$$ games and make up budget shortfalls, yet still be bowl candidates.

In our league, because of only one bowl tie-in, it's all or nothing, because you have to be undefeated or only one loss in conference play to go to a bowl. The geographic disparity pretty much guarantees poor attendance by a visiting team, plus the home team fans can't seem to get up for a visiting conference team, even when it's for the conference championship. So, gates are not major revenue sources, and we have to turn to the big games to maintain fiduciary well-being.

In Troy's case, we have a history of beating big name teams in MGVS, so we have unintentionally shot ourselves in the foot. After the Missouri game, as we all know, Iowa St. said "uh-uh, we aren't going to Troy". Ok. St. got embarassed on national TV. Now there's not an AD in the country that wants to consider going to Troy, not just because we get up for big games, but it's also difficult to get to, we have no recruiting hotbed for them, and it would be hard to tell their fans why they would do such a thing. I think Jeremy Foley at Florida would be under very heavy fire if it was announced that they were going to do a home and home with Troy. That's an extreme example, but the same can be said for most other schools as well.

So the dilema is, mid-majors can't risk the loss on the field or in the coffers, big schools won't even consider the possibility due to unfavorable reprecussions from the fans and alumni.

We are an enigma to the FBS league. We have winning tradition, but we are smaller than almost all other FBS schools, and we are in a small town. Only a handful of schools have smaller on-campus student populations; the service academies and Rice are the only ones I can think of, yet we have been very successful at this level in the short period of time we have been here. We have been successful because of the winning tradition, and careful management of personnel, and academic and athletic growth. Many schools with bigger student populations and more money backing them have not had the success we have. I have to compare us to the bumblebee; theoretically, the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly based on the physics of its wings and body size, but it does; most observers would say we shouldn't be having the success we are having and have had, because we shouldn't win some of the games we have won, and we are too small, but we do.

The tremendously bright spot in all this is that every year, we seem to be better than any year previous. That's in everything....athletics, academics, student life, and on and on. There doesn't seem to be any one reason we continue to succeed where others continue to expect us to fail, but we do it.

Sorry for the rambling, and how it kind of got off track there at the end, but the scheduling issue is a bit of a microcosm of the overall state of Troy, and I have wanted to put this out there for a while.

Trojan2003
04-15-2008, 12:06 PM
In Troy's case, we have a history of beating big name teams in MGVS, so we have unintentionally shot ourselves in the foot. After the Missouri game, as we all know, Iowa St. said "uh-uh, we aren't going to Troy". Ok. St. got embarassed on national TV. Now there's not an AD in the country that wants to consider going to Troy, not just because we get up for big games, but it's also difficult to get to, we have no recruiting hotbed for them, and it would be hard to tell their fans why they would do such a thing.

But why are other "top mid majors" able to schedule home games with BCS teams?

Boise State -> Boise, ID

vs. Oregon (2009)
vs. Oregon State (2010)

+ future home games vs. top mid majors BYU (2012 & 2014) and Utah (2011 & 2013)

East Carolina -> Greenville, NC

vs. West Virginia ( 2008 )
vs. Virginia Tech (2009 & 2011)
vs. NC State (2010)
vs. North Carolina (2011)
vs. South Carolina (2015)

Marshall -> Huntington, WV

vs. Cincinatti ( 2008 )
vs. West Virginia (2009)
vs. Virginia Tech (2011)

Southern Miss -> Hattiesburg, MS

vs. Virginia (2009)
vs. Kansas (2010)
vs. Nebraska (2015)

Tulsa

vs. Oklahoma (2007)
vs. Texas Tech (2009)
vs. Oklahomas State (2011)

socrgoly25
04-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Seems to me that you guys need to speak with Steve Dennis to become a little more reassured on the subject. I promise you he has a very good plan for this university and will not settle for nothing. It is my understanding that the days of 3 for 1 are over and that is the reason we don't have anything right now. We will be turning the corner soon, I promise. I believe your 6 home games will be here in 5 years time. Be patient.

ksdtrojan
04-15-2008, 12:43 PM
One of our problems is the fact that our Power 6 in-state schools refuse to play us. Three of the schools listed are playing their in-state Power 6 teams.

Look at the following from the list provided by Trojan2003: East Carolina (Greenville, NC) plays both UNC and NCState, Marshall (Huntington, WV) plays West Virginia, Tulsa (Tulsa, OK) plays both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

Meanwhile Auburn and Alabama along with their fans refuse to acknowledge that Troy exist and then proceed to play our conference mates while leaving Troy in the cold. Bottom line they are threatened by Troy because they know we are a viable threat.

I assume conference affiliation plays into the decision to play away from home against a non-Power 6 team. The ADs can sell going to a C-USA stadium over a SunBelt venue because of the public perception. And while we know C-USA is not very far ahead of the SunBelt in terms of on the field performance, the perception of the public is reality in their minds so the AD must take this into consideration.

Many schools are beginning to back away from even scheduling us at all on the road or in MGVS. If you remember Mark Richt made a comment about playing Troy and the scheduling of the game must have happened before our rise in performance. Other schools are taking notice of our on the field performance and that will always factor into whether they are willing to schedule us. As we become more and more successful we will continue to find scheduling hard.

TU Rob
04-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Be patient.

That's what we all need to do. We've only been in the FBS for less than a decade. You can't expect to have a ton of home games every year when you are still a baby in the eyes of everyone else. The good things we have going for us, the winning tradition, stability at HC, and winning at least a share of the conference are great, but that does not mean big name schools are going to come beating at our door to play us in Troy. Quite the opposite. Building takes time. We would all love to see 6 or more home games a year, but that is hard to do when you can travel to an SEC school and help fund the program with a big payday. And until we fill the stadium, and are able to expand it again and keep filling it, we will need to take these big payday games to help pay and keep our coaches. But we haven't sold out 30,000 seats yet. Take it one step at a time. The team will be competitive every year, and great in some years. Keep doing that, and it will just keep getting better. Just not overnight.

Troy87
04-15-2008, 01:01 PM
The main reason is we are not a top mid-major.

We just aren't in a position to make that claim yet.

We haven't won our conference outright, we have no presence in basketball, we are a financially-challenged, small-town institution.

We've only had FBS conference affiliation for 4 years, and in FBS for 6.

Other attributes for those teams you listed go into the reasoning as to why they are able to attract certain teams to their venues. Geographic location, gate attendance, time established in FBS, cross-state rivalry, etc.

Did you know Boise St. had SRO at every game last season? They averaged 30,338 per game in a stadium that seats 30,000. East Carolina averaged 41,537 in a 43,000 seat stadium, 96.6% capacity. Geography applies to both these schools.

Out west, where the number of schools are scattered, I would think Oregon or Oregon State would prefer to travel to a packed Boise St. stadium with 19,500 students on campus, rather than going further east, where fewer of their fans can attend, and costs increasing the further away they go.

In the Carolinas, everyone can travel to another campus in a relatively short period of time. They can tailgate, go to the game, and return home easily. Because of the close proximity, a larger percentage of the visiting teams fans are likely to attend. This is a plus for any school whose away games are a matter of a couple of hours away. Like Troy and UAB, and eventually USA.

Outside the fact that Marshall, USM and Tulsa have each outright won conference championships, Marshall is attracting teams because of fan interest. The WVU rivalry has just recently been re-introduced. There are some bitter feelings between some fans of these two schools. Marshall also was the first team to go to bowl games in its first years of eligibilty at the FBS level when they moved up. They went to the Motor City Bowl something like three years in a row right after they moved to FBS.

USM has been in FBS for a long time. They are somewhat of the foundation for what mid-major is. They just haven't gone anywhere since they became FBS 25-30 years ago. Again, this is what makes Troy somewhat of an enigma. We constantly reach for more.

Tulsa is pretty much the same situation as the Oregon, Oregon St., Boise St. thing. They are close, the visiting fans can travel relatively easy to Tulsa. On top of that, the city of Tulsa probably has enough graduates of OU, OSU and TT to fill the stands without the visiting teams fans coming in.

I'm not saying these are the reasons, but I would bet they are part of the reasons those schools get those teams that plan on visiting them. Troy is not there yet.

ksdtrojan
04-15-2008, 01:02 PM
That's what we all need to do. We've only been in the FBS for less than a decade. You can't expect to have a ton of home games every year when you are still a baby in the eyes of everyone else. The good things we have going for us, the winning tradition, stability at HC, and winning at least a share of the conference are great, but that does not mean big name schools are going to come beating at our door to play us in Troy. Quite the opposite. Building takes time. We would all love to see 6 or more home games a year, but that is hard to do when you can travel to an SEC school and help fund the program with a big payday. And until we fill the stadium, and are able to expand it again and keep filling it, we will need to take these big payday games to help pay and keep our coaches. But we haven't sold out 30,000 seats yet. Take it one step at a time. The team will be competitive every year, and great in some years. Keep doing that, and it will just keep getting better. Just not overnight.
I agree with you and socrgoly that we have to be patient. You also make a valid point about filling MGVS with regularity. The fans at some point have to be happy with watching Troy play no matter who they are playing.

TU Rob
04-15-2008, 01:21 PM
I agree with you and socrgoly that we have to be patient. You also make a valid point about filling MGVS with regularity. The fans at some point have to be happy with watching Troy play no matter who they are playing.

Yeah, it seems that we have a bunch of fans that love to come out and see MTSU and OK State, but won't show up for NT at homecoming. And then there are several folks I graduated with that only show up at homecoming. I'll be in my seat at every home game, no matter the opponent.

trojanbrutha
04-15-2008, 01:23 PM

And that's the difference between thinking "Big" and thinking "Bigtime!" It shouldn't matter who we play, just come and support the Trojans!

Trojan2003
04-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Troy87, I could also list other teams more similar to Troy:

Akron (home games vs Syracuse/2009 and Indiana/2010)
Louisiana Tech, Ruston ( Mississippi State - 2008 )
MTSU (Maryland - 2008, Mississippi State - 2009, Georgia Tech - 2011, Vanderbilt - 2015 & 2017)
Nevada (Texas Tech - 2008, Missouri - 2009, Oregon - 2013)
Wyoming (Texas - 2009, Missouri - 2012, Oregon - 2014)
Eastern Michigan (Vanderbilt - 2010)
Ball State (South Florida - 2012)
Miami, OH (Vanderbilt - 2008, Colorado - 2009, Cincinatti - 2011, 2013 & 2015)

LONGHORNS FOOTBALL

Texas likely to play Wyoming
Two-for-one deal replaces game with Arkansas
Friday, April 04, 2008

-> http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/04/04/0404texfoot.html

Texas will replace its scheduled 2009 football game against Arkansas with a road game against Wyoming on Sept. 12, a source familiar with the negotiations said Thursday.

Texas plays Arkansas this September but, at the Razorbacks' request, will not return the game at Fayetteville until 2014 or perhaps later, the source said. In its place, Texas has agreed to a two-for-one arrangement with Wyoming with two future home games in Austin against the Mountain West Conference team.

Texas has played the Cowboys twice, beating them in Austin in 1974 and 1978. It has never played a game at Wyoming. Texas already has six home games lined up for 2009 and felt it could afford another road game.

In addition, Texas will likely announce two other home games, one for the opener on Sept. 5, 2009. Those will be buy games, and one could be Louisiana-Monroe or Louisiana-Lafayette.

Kirk Bohls

Trojan1998
04-15-2008, 01:39 PM

This will happen over time. Right now, Troy has a very small hardcore fanbase (loyal, but small). The casual Troy fans typically only show up for games against the likes of Okie State, Missouri, and homecoming. These casual fans of Troy are folks who have another primary rooting interest (e.g., UA, AU, UGA, FSU, UF, etc.) and will only come to games that #1, don't conflict with games of those other schools and #2, games against marquee opponents. It's going to take dedicated Troy alums teaching their children to become Troy fans first and foremost; then we'll see a larger more dedicated fanbase. We're still a generation or so from that scenario really paying off.

Trojan1stDown
04-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Troy87

Akron (home games vs Syracuse/2009 and Indiana/2010)
Louisiana Tech, Ruston ( Mississippi State - 2008 )
MTSU (Maryland - 2008, Mississippi State - 2009, Georgia Tech - 2011, Vanderbilt - 2015 & 2017)
Nevada (Texas Tech - 2008, Missouri - 2009, Oregon - 2013)
Wyoming (Texas - 2009, Missouri - 2012, Oregon - 2014)
Eastern Michigan (Vanderbilt - 2010)
Ball State (South Florida - 2012)
Miami, OH (Vanderbilt - 2008, Colorado - 2009, Cincinatti - 2011, 2013 & 2015)

It makes me sick to see Vandy and Mississippi St. on this list multiple times. A 30,000+ crowd would show up to see us play either of these guys . Even though it would only be one game it would be a huge step to finally get one of the SEC teams play us in Troy.

Troy87
04-15-2008, 05:21 PM
I agree with Trojan1998....we're probably a generation away from seeing regularly filled seats at the stadium for Troy home games. Maybe not quite a generation, but probably 10-15 years.

Troy2003, I'm not trying to be contrary, but I do want to provide some perspective. For an example, I decided to randomly look at some aspects of one of the schools you listed. I chose Ball St. They moved to D1 in the early 70s, which means they have been at this level for 30 years. The first Big 6 team they played was Wash. St. in 1984 in Spokane.

They followed that up with Purdue in 1985 and 1986. Wisconsin in 1987. All away. They played in their first bowl in the California Raisin Bowl in 1989 against Fresno St. (They lost)

The first Big 6 team to come to their home field was, oddly enough, Missouri, in 2003. Next was Boston College in 2004, and that's it, until this 2012 when USF comes to Muncie.

So it took us 3 or 4 years to get our first Big 6 team at home, and go to our first bowl game. We've had 2 Big 6 teams at home in our first 7 years, and been to two bowl games with a bowl record of 1-1.

Ball St. took about 10 years to get their first game against a big 6 team, and that was across the country in Spokane, Wash. It took another 19 years to get a Big 6 team to go to Muncie. They have had the same number of Big 6 teams in Muncie as we have had in Troy. But theirs have been over the course of 30+ years, ours 6-7 years. They've played maybe a total of a dozen, maybe 14 games against Big 6 teams since 1984. We've played 25 Big 6 teams since 2001.

Maybe Ball St. isn't the best comparison, but when you look at a team that has been at this level for over 30 years and see where they are, then look at us, and compare it to where we are....we are way ahead of the curve.

I will take a look at some of the other teams too, but I tried to take what is a relatively non-descript MAC team and illustrate that we are not behind the point we should be at this stage in our development. I would say we have stretched well beyond where most would expect us to be right now. I am by no means saying we shouldn't keep trying hard to get those big schools to come to Troy, because we should keep on until we can get them in our house regularly. But as other have stated it takes time. We have at the very least shortened our development period though, because we have surpassed some schools that have wallowed in D1 for years, and not taken advantage of the fruits of hard work and good management. Maybe they weren't as fortunate as we have been with personnel, or how the climate of colege football has changed in recent years, but we have had people who have made good decisions and choices that have put us where our program is today.

FloriTrojan
04-15-2008, 05:40 PM
It's hard to be patient when we see the home schedule declining so badly, do not have a sixth game, are forced to endure so many midweek and Thursday
games, and see our attendance slip each year.

If MTSU can get these teams, so should we. FAU got Oklahoma State, Minnesota and USF in the last two years.

ThePowerMan
04-15-2008, 09:18 PM
So.....I am not the only one on this board who is sick of a 5 home game schedule and no good home games to go with that. I still say we can get the teams to come to Troy. In the early 2000's we got those teams. Whodathunk we could get a team like Missouri to come to little ole Troy. Ole Johnny Williams was thinking "Big Time". Now we think.....Alcorn StaTE????? Atleast if we are gonna play a smaller school then play the likes of Alabama State or Georgia Southern. Play someone that is close so they can buy some tickets. But to be honest.... we should not even have that conversation because we should be playing Southern Miss, Tulane, East Carolina, Memphis, etc. And bring em here. So what is we have to do a two for one deal with a few of these teams. I don't think we should but get the deal done. Create something to get us a good quality home game. 2010 we have Bowling Green coming to Troy......does that do it for everyone?

socrgoly25
04-16-2008, 01:42 AM
Honestly (and excuse my language) I don't give a rat's ass who we play. Here's my schedule this fall:

Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy

Troy in New Orleans

Funny thing is, this board has a few hypocrits on it. Say we did bring in the likes of a West Virginia or a Florida or a Georgia. People would be crying their eyes out and complaining to the administration about scheduling unrealistic home games and how we should schedule winnable games.

Now, I do love playing huge opponents and putting our name on the map by at least playing close with them, but I just love watching Troy play. Get over it guys. Like I said, be patient! If you don't want to be patient, go and personally talk to the AD and ask him what his vision is. He's a real cordial guy and has a very great vision for where we are going. In due time.....

ksdtrojan
04-16-2008, 06:07 AM
Here's my schedule this fall:

Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy

Troy in New Orleans

I am with you on that schedule.

trojanbrutha
04-16-2008, 07:36 AM
Honestly (and excuse my language) I don't give a rat's ass who we play. Here's my schedule this fall:

Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy
Troy

Troy in New Orleans

Funny thing is, this board has a few hypocrits on it. Say we did bring in the likes of a West Virginia or a Florida or a Georgia. People would be crying their eyes out and complaining to the administration about scheduling unrealistic home games and how we should schedule winnable games.

Now, I do love playing huge opponents and putting our name on the map by at least playing close with them, but I just love watching Troy play. Get over it guys. Like I said, be patient! If you don't want to be patient, go and personally talk to the AD and ask him what his vision is. He's a real cordial guy and has a very great vision for where we are going. In due time.....

That's the attitude that sells out stadiums...

TSUWhiner
04-16-2008, 09:27 AM
That we should have South Alabama as a home game and in conference oppenent and Texas State will slip into the picture as well. Yeah I am very dissappointed with the home scheduling but at least we are adding more members to our conference!

Whiner

Hemi Man
04-16-2008, 03:27 PM
So.....I am not the only one on this board who is sick of a 5 home game schedule and no good home games to go with that. I still say we can get the teams to come to Troy. In the early 2000's we got those teams. Whodathunk we could get a team like Missouri to come to little ole Troy. Ole Johnny Williams was thinking "Big Time". Now we think.....Alcorn StaTE????? Atleast if we are gonna play a smaller school then play the likes of Alabama State or Georgia Southern. Play someone that is close so they can buy some tickets. But to be honest.... we should not even have that conversation because we should be playing Southern Miss, Tulane, East Carolina, Memphis, etc. And bring em here. So what is we have to do a two for one deal with a few of these teams. I don't think we should but get the deal done. Create something to get us a good quality home game. 2010 we have Bowling Green coming to Troy......does that do it for everyone?

In all honesty I am happy about UAB and Bowling Green coming to Troy. I think it is a small step, but most certainly a step in the right direction.

Navarre Trojan
04-16-2008, 04:46 PM
REALIZE that in order to have 6 home games, we have to give up Ohio St., LSU, OSU, FL, Ark, etc., in order to play Alabama St., Ball St., Alcorn St. (oh yeah, we already have them), etc. Most believe that the trade off is better to go on the road and play the "big boys" than to have home games to a much lesser level of competition. The hardest thing to realize, it seems, is that these 'big boy' schools ARE NOT coming to Troy.

I have to disagree with ThePowerMan on this. It is the 2 for 1's, but mostly the 3 for 1's that are coming into play now, as well as some big money games that have been on the books. The reason we got Oklahoma St to come first was because of a contract they call a "1 for 1 plus 1" deal. Basically meaning we come to Stillwater twice for one payday, probably around $500 large. The other two, LSU and Ohio State, are mega-buck$ days and we have to have them (unless I've been the only one reading about keeping coaches, or building arenas, of having nicer practice facilities), so, what is it we are suppose to do. We have to play W. Ky because of conference direction (and besides, it is the right thing to do), so???...... The only other option is Alcorn St.'s date, and we tried, TRUST ME, we tried to get another FBS school to come. W. or C. Michigan were the names that were thrown about, and without a return deal, but for more money!

You know what, knowing the above, having Alcorn St. sandwiched in between the National Champion and Runner-up, that aint so bad! Every once in awhile take time out to think of the players and what it takes to play those games. I know, someone will say, "ask the players, they will tell you that they want the big boys every week" and sitting in their dorm or in class in April, they probably do. But when it comes to the real deal, the break is absolutely necessary. Anyone who has ever coached knows exactly what I am talking about.

Be glad they are at home, playing at your university. Don't poo-poo the day and say, "well its only Alcorn St., I am going to stay home and watch (fill in the blank) play.

Get over the schedule already and just start preparing for the season! I promise you , Steve Dennis does EVERYTHING HE CAN to get the best teams scheduled that he can. He wants the teams in here as well. He was also at the FAU game, saw the 'interest' and realizes that there are still many miles to go on this road!

TSUWhiner
04-16-2008, 08:31 PM
I will fill in the blanks

Aublow and Alasuck

OVERATED!!!

GO TROY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!