PDA

View Full Version : Two Trojans on the Lombardi Award Preliminary Watch List

trojanbrutha
04-09-2008, 09:49 PM
http://www.rotarylombardiaward.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=113&Itemid=32

...Brigham Young University and the University of Hawaii tied for the most players on the preliminary watch list with four players each. Georgia Tech, Oklahoma, Penn State, Ball State, Oregon, Ole Miss, Florida Atlantic and Troy all have two players on the list. In conference lineups, the SEC boasts the most players with eight, followed by the Big Ten, Big 12 and Mid-American with six. The Big East, Sun Belt and Western Athletic have five each and both the Mountain West and the Pac-10 have four players each. Rounding out the list are the ACC with three players and Conference USA with two.

2008 Contenders (http://www.rotarylombardiaward.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=95&Itemid=56)

TU/JSU Fan
04-10-2008, 08:55 AM
I have this bizarre feeling that Boris Lee will be our 'next' big NFL Product after Leodis. I don't see any First Round picks in next year's SR class, but Boris is already catching on across the country and with 2 more incredible years like his first two he could really be a NFL Stud.

ksdtrojan
04-10-2008, 09:30 AM
I have this bizarre feeling that Boris Lee will be our 'next' big NFL Product after Leodis. I don't see any First Round picks in next year's SR class, but Boris is already catching on across the country and with 2 more incredible years like his first two he could really be a NFL Stud.
Boris Lee will be a great NFL prospect as he continues to get better and gain some size maybe 20 pounds. I have been a homer for him since he showed up at Troy mainly because I watched him play high school ball and got to know him before he ever committed to Troy. Before he finishes at Troy he will eclipse the 300 mark in tackles with a consistently improving performance and that is impressive.

As far as next year's senior class, I look for one of the offensive linemen to make a good impression on NFL scouts, mainly Dion Small and possibly Chris Jamison. On defense, Dion Gales will impress along with Kenny Mainor who has not had the breakout year yet but has the skill. Every year I predict that Kenny Mainor will have his breakout year and he has to this year if he is going to make an impact on the next level. The defensive backfield will have 3 prospects alone with Sherrod Martin, Terrence Moore, and Tavares Williams. I think Troy has a great chance to put several of these seniors into the NFL after next season.

TU/JSU Fan
04-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Oh I agree that several of this year SRs will see NFL Action. I just don't see any 1st Round Picks like Leodis and Demarcus Ware.

Of the SR class the 'best' 1st Round Prospect has to be Dion Small as Offensive Linemen are a true gem to pick in the first round if good enough and he is definitely a beast.

Mainor has the potential to be just as good as Demarcus... For some reason he just hasn't done it yet. Tavares Williams will be a draft pick (probably 4-5th round), Chris Jamison could very well be drafted late day 2. Dion Gales is another good 2nd day prospect. I think this could be actually one of the better NFL Classes to come out of Troy, but I just think most will go later rounds. I don't see any 1st rounders for some reason.

Boris appears, to me, as the next 'big deal' to come out of Troy and I know LBs are not as special as some positions (Leodis wouldn't be anywhere near the 7th-10th overall pick if not for his incredible return man skills), but for some reason I think Boris will impress scouts enough over the next two years to get into the first round. Will he be as high as Leodis? Probably not because he isn't the best return man in the nation, but he could go in the late first round, which is actually good because he would get picked up by a good team (which looks like Leodis will too - I think he will go 7th to NE).

FoulPolePhenom
04-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Oh I agree that several of this year SRs will see NFL Action. I just don't see any 1st Round Picks like Leodis and Demarcus Ware.

Of the SR class the 'best' 1st Round Prospect has to be Dion Small as Offensive Linemen are a true gem to pick in the first round if good enough and he is definitely a beast.

I have to respectfully disagree. Small is good but he is ummm...small. Especially for an NFL lineman. I think if Troy has a 1st round prospect it's Terrence Moore. That boy is a player. He can play pass/run and can hit.

TU/JSU Fan
04-10-2008, 10:53 AM
You may be right on Dion Small.. Just went and looked at Rivals Mock Draft. Dion is at least 3 inches shorter and 50 lbs lighter than any of the several OL First Round Prospects. Most of the guys are 6'6/6'7 and weigh about 330-350 where Dion is 6'3 280. I will change my opinion on Dion now.. He is a good OL and I guess I just simply forgot about his size.

With respect to Terrance Moore he would have to REALLY have a breakout year and impress scouts in the offseason to be a 1st round pick as his stats are not remarkable as of yet. Less than 40 total tackles and 2 INTs in a 3 year career doesn't impress many. I will agree that he is a good CB, but I don't know about 1st Rounder... I guess we can both disagree with each other's opinion! : ) That is why I like this board.. We can disagree, and keep it clean where so many other boards if a disagreement pops up all hell breaks loose..

ksdtrojan
04-10-2008, 12:13 PM
With respect to Terrance Moore he would have to REALLY have a breakout year and impress scouts in the offseason to be a 1st round pick as his stats are not remarkable as of yet. Less than 40 total tackles and 2 INTs in a 3 year career doesn't impress many.
Stats on All 3 since 2004:
Name/Tackles/Sacks/Ints
Sherrod Martin/198/1/6
Tavares Williams/129/3/1
Terence Moore/101/0/3

I think all three have a chance to be early picks with a great 2008 season. Sherrod will have 250 tackles and at least 8 Ints before he leaves. Tavares will be very close to 200 tackles and 2 or 3 Ints. Terence should break 175 tackles and add a couple ints himself. All 3 have the size to make an impact and with them all learning each other's positions they have to add to their stock because of versatility.

Trojan2003
04-10-2008, 12:27 PM
IMHO Brandon Lang will be the next big deal to come out of Troy (potential 1st round / 2nd round draft pick).

TU/JSU Fan
04-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Where did I miss the other 70 tackles by Terrance... Strange. Troytrojans.com didn't have that many listed. He has had a better career than I originally thought.

ksdtrojan
04-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Where did I miss the other 70 tackles by Terrance... Strange. Troytrojans.com didn't have that many listed. He has had a better career than I originally thought.
He had 64 (52 solo/12 assist) last season alone. In 2006 he recorded 29 (23/6) and in 2005 he had 8 (3/5). The total is actually 101 not 111 but he should still have close to 175 by the end of 2008. These are from TroyTrojans.com.

ksdtrojan
04-10-2008, 01:19 PM
IMHO Brandon Lang will be the next big deal to come out of Troy (potential 1st round / 2nd round draft pick).
I agree Lang will be a great pro. He really needs to stay healthy for the rest of his college career.

ksdtrojan
04-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Here are your cumulative defensive stats for 2004 to 2007:

Link: 2007 Cumulative Defensive Stats (http://www.troytrojans.com/fls/17200/stats/fb/2007/teamcume.htm#TEAM.DEF)
Link: 2006 Cumulative Defensive Stats (http://www.troytrojans.com/fls/17200/stats/fb/2006/teamcume.htm#TEAM.DEF)
Link: 2005 Cumulative Defensive Stats (http://www.troytrojans.com/fls/17200/stats/fb/2005/teamcume.htm#TEAM.DEF)
Link: 2004 Cumulative Defensive Stats (http://www.troytrojans.com/fls/17200/stats/fb/2004/teamcume.htm#TEAM.DEF)

TU/JSU Fan
04-10-2008, 02:59 PM
I see where i missed it. If you click on Terrance as an individual player it doesn't have his 07 stats.

: )

Langfan
04-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Ok, lets go with that!