PDA

View Full Version : Which away games are you going to?

tenaciousT
04-09-2008, 11:14 AM
which away games are you going to? I am deffinately going to MTSU, LSU,Ohio State, and more than likely ULM. i am thinking about maybe going to Okie state... just wanted to get everybody else's ideas... we need to show that we can travel well!

Tallahassee Trojan
04-09-2008, 11:35 AM
I am planning on MTSU and LSU. I will hopefully add one of the OSU's....

(plus all home games)

CattouseFan
04-09-2008, 11:36 AM
MTSU and Ohio State. Those are the two closest to me!

CraigMack
04-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Better question, how many of the home games are you gonna go to? We, as Troy supporters, need to concentrate more on attending and promoting going to the home games as we really need to a better job of selling the program and getting Movie Gallery stadium packed, loud and making it as a big of a homefield advantage as we possibly can.

The road games are great but we need to take care of business at home!

ksdtrojan
04-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Better question, how many of the home games are you gonna go to? We, as Troy supporters, need to concentrate more on attending and promoting going to the home games as we really need to a better job of selling the program and getting Movie Gallery stadium packed, loud and making it as a big of a homefield advantage as we possibly can.

The road games are great but we need to take care of business at home!
Great point!

I will be at all home games plus MTSU.
Hopefully I can add LSU and Ohio State as well.

Navarre Trojan
04-09-2008, 12:39 PM
on attending at least 8 games again this year.

All 5 home games, LSU, Ohio State, and FAU.

Oklahoma State and MTSU are also possibilities, but that would mean 5 weekends in a row and I don't think that is going to play very well at the homefront, although it would be better than "home improvement" weekends......

Hemi Man
04-09-2008, 01:46 PM
All home games MTSU, Ohio St, and possibly FAU and Ok ST.

SOTSButterfly
04-09-2008, 02:00 PM
All of the home games and hopefully at least LSU.

TU Rob
04-09-2008, 02:12 PM
As of now, only the home games. With the MTSU game being moved to Thursday, it pretty much wiped out my chances of going. It still may be a possibility, but not likely at this point. Maybe LSU and maybe one other.

TU/JSU Fan
04-09-2008, 02:42 PM
This brings up a good point.. We should concentrate on home games yet as I was driving home from Dothan today I noticed a billboard that said "Troy Trojan Football... We'll play anyone" (or something to that nature) and then listed the following three games..

LSU
Ohio State
Oklahoma State

No mention of a single home game.. 3 away games.. Seriously?

Hemi Man
04-09-2008, 02:55 PM
The same billboard is in Troy, Montgomery and between Birmingham and Montgomery.

TU/JSU Fan
04-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Where is it in Troy? I haven't seen it before today in Dothan.. I haven't been to Montgomery in a couple of months so I am not shocked to have not seen the one between Troy/Montgomery..

Troy_Nomad
04-09-2008, 03:38 PM
This brings up a good point.. We should concentrate on home games yet as I was driving home from Dothan today I noticed a billboard that said "Troy Trojan Football... We'll play anyone" (or something to that nature) and then listed the following three games..

LSU
Ohio State
Oklahoma State

Not many folks outside of the core group of diehard fans care about seeing other sunbelt teams - home or away. Playing and promoting the games against the BCS schools does improve visibility, but that doesn't need to be the sole focus of our advertising. There is a similar sign on I-85 in Montgomery. I have never seen one with the home games listed. As far as poor home attendance, the problem obviously isn't the product on the field. I think we all need to make a commitment to improving the game day atmosphere, and attendance will improve. This means tailgating all day, wearing Troy gear, having radios and tv making some noise, etc. We're headed in the right direction though.

And I'll be at all 5 home games and LSU for sure. MTSU was probable until they moved it. Not sure the budget will allow any others.

Hemi Man
04-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Where is it in Troy? I haven't seen it before today in Dothan.. I haven't been to Montgomery in a couple of months so I am not shocked to have not seen the one between Troy/Montgomery..

Between Cowboys and the Beeline on 231.

FloriTrojan
04-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Sure, we should concentrate on attending home games. The team deserves the support.

But our administration should concentrate on getting off its collective arse and inking a home schedule that is at least better than what we had in I-AA. That is not happening and this year's home schedule is a real crapper.

The AD is going to learn the hard way when attendance drops again, for the second consecutive year.

jimPrimeMinister
04-09-2008, 08:37 PM
The same billboard is in Troy, Montgomery and between Birmingham and Montgomery.

There's also one in Auburn on South College just off of campus. :)

Buzz Lightyear
04-09-2008, 09:34 PM

LSU
Ohio State
Oklahoma State

Thought the same thing........actually laughed a little when I thought of the alternative sign. "We play anybody.........Alcorn State, Western Kentucky, Florida International..........AND WE MEAN ANYBODY!!!!!

Oh and by the way hope to go to MTSU and if it is a Thursday nite think that will have to travel by self.....May well come back in here closer to time and see if anyone on the way would want to ride along.......in line from Dothan to Murphboro.......

Navarre Trojan
04-10-2008, 06:11 AM
Sure, we should concentrate on attending home games. The team deserves the support.

But our administration should concentrate on getting off its collective arse and inking a home schedule that is at least better than what we had in I-AA. That is not happening and this year's home schedule is a real crapper.

The AD is going to learn the hard way when attendance drops again, for the second consecutive year.

but will again. When you only have five home games, and four of those are confernece games (yes, I know the W. KY isn't officially a conference member) then you only have one date to fill. That happens to be Alcorn St. this year. I posted elsewhere about dropping a future game" with Arkansas and scheduling another home game, even if it were to be 1-AA and most folks disagreed with that. They would rather travel to Arkansas, than see Troy play at home against a regional D-1AA team.

The problem that many have is that when we get those 'marquee' games, and they come to Troy, well, we have to pay those teams back either 2 or 3 for one. Well, GUESS WHAT, it's payback time and we have to pony up. That's the cost of getting those teams to come to Troy. Add to that, we have seen great success, which limits our ability to get those 'type' of teams to come back. Remember when we always went to their house first and then they would "buy out" their contract to come to Troy. We don't do that anymore...

As hard as it may be for some to believe, we just aren't able to negotiate any one-for-one deals with those high profile schools. So, we have to get what we get, especially during these payback years.

Another thing, the AD doesn't have a choice on the conference schedule, you get what you get, and have to work with it. You can bet that no one, and I mean NO ONE at Troy Athletics WANTS to play MTSU to open the season. However, its a television opportunity, and again, GUESS WHAT? We have to take that. Having said that, the rest should be easy to figure out, don't you think?

We needed a home game and we have to travel to the National Champion and runner-up's home field, along with Stillwater, where they are going to want some big time revenge, and you ask, "I don't understand why the Athletic Director can't schedule Florida or Florida St. to come to Troy and play us, he'll learn, when attendance keeps dropping off!" Come on!

Every once in a while you have to think about those kids that are playing, and maybe, just maybe, it is "ok" to play a lessor talented team (on paper) to get well, physically and mentally, before you head into the meat of the season, maybe? Why do you think the OSU's and LSU's and FSU's schedule the Bowling Green's, and Troy's and La-Mo's? AND, every once in a while, just once in a while, the little guy beats the big guy and it makes it worth while.

Navarre Trojan
04-10-2008, 06:12 AM

but will again. When you only have five home games, and four of those are confernece games (yes, I know the W. KY isn't officially a conference member) then you only have one date to fill. That happens to be Alcorn St. this year. I posted elsewhere about dropping a future game" with Arkansas and scheduling another home game, even if it were to be 1-AA and most folks disagreed with that. They would rather travel to Arkansas, than see Troy play at home against a regional D-1AA team.

The problem that many have is that when we get those 'marquee' games, and they come to Troy, well, we have to pay those teams back either 2 or 3 for one. Well, GUESS WHAT, it's payback time and we have to pony up. That's the cost of getting those teams to come to Troy. Add to that, we have seen great success, which limits our ability to get those 'type' of teams to come back. Remember when we always went to their house first and then they would "buy out" their contract to come to Troy. We don't do that anymore...

As hard as it may be for some to believe, we just aren't able to negotiate any one-for-one deals with those high profile schools. So, we have to get what we get, especially during these payback years.

Another thing, the AD doesn't have a choice on the conference schedule, you get what you get, and have to work with it. You can bet that no one, and I mean NO ONE at Troy Athletics WANTS to play MTSU to open the season. However, its a television opportunity, and again, GUESS WHAT? We have to take that. Having said that, the rest should be easy to figure out, don't you think?

We needed a home game and we have to travel to the National Champion and runner-up's home field, along with Stillwater, where they are going to want some big time revenge, and you ask, "I don't understand why the Athletic Director can't schedule Florida or Florida St. to come to Troy and play us, he'll learn, when attendance keeps dropping off!" Come on!

Every once in a while you have to think about those kids that are playing, and maybe, just maybe, it is "ok" to play a lessor talented team (on paper) to get well, physically and mentally, before you head into the meat of the season, maybe? Why do you think the OSU's and LSU's and FSU's schedule the Bowling Green's, and Troy's and La-Mo's? AND, every once in a while, just once in a while, the little guy beats the big guy and it makes it worth while.

Buzz Lightyear
04-10-2008, 08:18 AM
I totally agree. I really doubt that our schedule could be any different unless you wanted to stop playing the BIG BOY games. Those games have helped with a rep. and hurt making it difficult for home games. Perhaps one day we won't be in this conference but until then to win a game or two on the road against the BIG BOYS will continue to make it tough to schedule games at home for us. We will occasionally get the foray to Movie Gallary but for the most part we will be on the road until a new conference. To do that the up grade of other sport facilities must continue and we must continue to have the rep of playing BIG BOYS well and beating them. Hard to swallow that our home schedule is more about paying the dues then a lack of imagination or negotiating skills. Could it be better? Perhaps, but consistently better not likely. So despite the humor in the alternative sign saying and we do play anybody, we will have to play what we can. A build up with a I AA team (or whatever they call them is ok but just as Alcorn State is the first game at home it will be difficult to be tooooooooo fired up for it being the first home game. Hopefully some mid majors will try to up their rep by playing US at home and away in an even swap. But as their bowl eligilibity is endangered I doubt that too.

TU/JSU Fan
04-10-2008, 08:47 AM
I agree a lot with what the last two posts say... We do not have the advantages that FAU, FIU, MTSU and some of the other mid-majors have as far as getting big boys to come to town. Why would Virginia go to MTSU for a 1-1 or 2-1 deal? Recruiting my friends... Nashville and the like is an incredible hotbed for talent. FAU? FIU? Think So Fl isn't a recruiter's dream? If you don't then you don't belong on here. The BCS Schools that really want to take a chance will sign that 2-1 or 1-1 with those schools to get that recruiting trip down there. You don't think they are taking advantage of that Friday night that they are in town? You betcha butt they are.. Not to mention 'inviting' their recruits to watch them play in the kid's hometown. How many times would a major recruit get to see their favorite team play 2 times in their SR season live? It is the perfect scenario for the BCS School to do. However, how many prime recruits live in the nearby area of Troy? Not anywhere near the amount of Nashville or South Fl. I would imagine that OK State and Missouri maybe got 1-2 recruits TOTAL out of coming to Troy and maybe not even that many. They really took a chance and it bit them in the butt.

Troy is going to have to start 'settling' on IAA or mid-major IA schools coming to Troy in the future as I doubt you will see very many more BCS Schools coming here. 2 have come and 2 have lost... They didn't get very good exposure for coming so the chances another will come are slim to none. We should start looking for the Southern Miss, Bowling Green, Miami Oh, etcs... of the world to come to Troy rather than worrying about not getting Big XII and other BCS Conference schools to come here. We will have to go to them if we want to play (and it appears that we do).

I don't mind playing a IAA School provided it is a regional one. I don't want to see another Cal-Poly come to town though as that was a bad deal all around.. You schedule one that no one cares about in town, but you schedule one that had a true shot at winning since they were a top 10 Div IAA School at the time.. Uh??? No.. You schedule the ones close by that you can get to bring their own fans and you can beat.. ASU anyone? JSU anyone? I like the Alcorn game... I think they will bring a pretty decent fan base.. If their band travels they will bring some more and will give everyone a show. Will they be competitive? Heck no.. Chalk one up for the good guys, but this is the type we need to play IF we are going to play a IAA. Since IAAs count every year now towards your 6 wins to bowl eligibility I say play one... Gives you a home game, revenue, and a W. Chances are we have to win our conference to go to a bowl as long as we are in the SBC anyway so what are we truly losing out on?

troyaluminmichigan
04-11-2008, 09:04 PM
And maybe a home game this year. Being in Michigan, its tough to go, though I've made two of the big games a year now for some time. Really glad to see Bowling Green on the slate, maybe we can get some more MAC or Big Ten Schools on the slate.

Langfan
04-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Will try to make as many home game as possible. But will with out a doubt, or hesitation be at the MTSU game. This one is personal not business.