Levi Brown: 14-20-107, TD

RUSHING
Xavier Moreland: 14-47, TD
Fernandus Edwards: 11-47, 2 TD

RECEIVING
Kennard Burton: 8-88
Mykeal Terry: 4-39
Patrick Cherry: 6-57

A little bit on spring, from offensive coordinator Neal Brown: “I was really pleased with our three senior leaders up front in Chris Jamison, Dion Small and Danny Franks (who is a junior). They came to work every day. (Running back) Xavier Moreland proved that he can be a viable running back in this league. I was pleased with the quarterbacks. All three of the kids we’ve got here, we can win with.”

He didn’t mention anything on QB separation yet, but from my untrained eye it looks like it’s Hampton’s job to lose. He got more passing attempts and he’s the best runner of the three and he made some right-on-the-money midrange passes. He won’t burn a heck of a lot of people deep, but then again Omar never really did either. The competition will be narrowed to two heading into fall camp.

ksdtrojan
04-05-2008, 05:59 PM
I would say from stats alone we are not really any closer to who will be starting in the fall other than Tanner Jones possibly being the one eliminated out of the top two. Levi and Jamie are pretty close with Jamie having a slight advantage. Jamie will more than likely be the guy come August 28th which is not a bad thing as he will be around for two more seasons after 2008. It also appears that Michael Taylor is the kicker we will start going into fall. I am sure the battle will still be there when fall camp starts but he had an impressive spring (stat wise) and should be the leader. The punting job appears to belong to Will Goggans as he is the only punter to get reps today. Cornerback will be decided in the fall with several talented corners coming in from this past recruiting class. I can't wait until fall.

Go Trojans!!!

Trojan2003
04-08-2008, 05:34 PM
I compared Jamie Hampton's ESPN grade with the grades of several other selected QBs; apparently ESPN ranks Jamie relatively high among "non-Elite QBs".

List of selected QBs graded between 70 and 79* by ESPN.com in 2007 & 2008:

Riley Dodge (North Texas), Grade: 79, (Rank:#17) - 2008
Kodi Burns (Auburn), Grade: 79, (Rank:#17) - 2007
- - -
Nick Fanuzzi (Alabama), Grade: 78, (Rank:#20) - 2007
Chris Smith (Marshall), Grade: 78, (Rank: #21) - 2007
- - -
Clark Harrell (Tulsa), Grade: 77, (Rank: #26) - 2007
Jamie Hampton (Troy) (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=35474&season=2007&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d354 74%26season%3d2007), Grade: 77, (Rank: #43) - 2007
... A Matt Leinart type in terms of release and mechanics, but Hampton is a better athlete. ...
- - -
Brent Burnette (MTSU), Grade: 76 (Rank:#44) - 2008
Jack Elway (Arizona State), Grade: 75 (Rank:#60) - 2008
Jaybo Shaw (Georgia Tech), Grade: 74 ( Rank:#68 ) - 2008
Barrett Trotter (Auburn), Grade: 73 (Rank:#82) - 2008

- - - - -

*Grading scale:

80-89: Outstanding Prospect
Player has the ability to create mismatches against most opponents and could contribute as a true freshman.

70-79: Good Prospect
Player does not dominate in every game, especially when matched up against the top players in the country. Could become a good starter at the Division I level.

trojanbrutha
04-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Around the non-BCS conferences and independents (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/notebook?page=nonBCSnotebook080407)

More Of The Same

Larry Blakeney can't bring back his dynamic quarterback or his innovative play-caller, so the Troy coach has done the next best thing.

He's kept things as stable as possible.

Blakeney started by promoting Neal Brown to replace offensive coordinator Tony Franklin, who left for the same post at Auburn. The 27-year-old Brown played for Franklin at Kentucky and worked under him for two seasons at Troy, learning an offense that ranked 16th nationally in yards (452.8 ypg) and 25th in points (34 ppg) last fall.

"That's the reason he is the coordinator," Blakeney said. "We don't want to change. We want to be a system team, we want to be no-huddle, up-tempo, able to run the football and throw the pass to set up the run."

Quarterback Omar Haugabook ran the system to near perfection the past two seasons, winning back-to-back Sun Belt offensive player of the year awards. With top-shelf speed and decent passing skills, Haugabook provided Blakeney a prototype for the future.

Jamie Hampton might fit the same mold. None of the three candidates to replace Haugabook separated himself in spring practice, which ended Saturday, but Hampton's athleticism gives him an edge.

"He has to be one of the top two," Blakeney said. "Speed-wise, Omar was probably a little faster, but Jamie's big and can take those big, long steps and can cut, turn and change directions really well."

Both Hampton and fellow competitor Tanner Jones appeared in eight games last season behind Haugabook. Jones and the third candidate, Richmond transfer Levi Brown, both are traditional drop-back passers.

"They've been good, they've been bad, they've been in the middle," Blakeney said. "We need to get to a point where we can name one and have a backup, and everybody else is getting the crumbs."

Adam Rittenberg covers college football for ESPN.com. He can be reached at espnritt@gmail.com.

TU/JSU Fan
04-09-2008, 09:00 AM
I have been against Hampton all year as I just wasn't impressed with him, but after the spring I believe I could be happy with him as the starting QB. I thought Levi would come in and take control ( and his size made me WANT that to happen ), but Jamie had a great Spring and if he has as good of a summer I think he should be the top QB. We need a mobile QB that can get out of sticky situations and Hampton gives the best chance at that. I have never been impressed with his arm, but in this offense I don't think you need a cannon... You need the ability to throw short accurate passes and run. He can do that.

I wonder what will become of Kentucky's Mr. Football... Will he RS this year ? Or will the coaches let him be a backup and lose a year of eligibility to play a few plays?? I would hate to see him end up like Kenny Cattoose.. He could be playing next year and totally dominate the SBC had they not wasted a year of eligibility by letting him run the ball like 15 times his freshman year. He was totally wasted... Let's not do this with Robinson. If he could even have the potential to be a star by his 5th year I say RS him and test the waters. No reason to play him 10-15 plays and lose that year when we have 3 capable QBs ahead of him.

troyman20
04-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Like i have said from the first of the year Hampton will be name starter. And will start the next three years. Just waite and see!! And they will name him starter in a few days...

Troy87
04-09-2008, 07:44 PM
All right, I've said this from the middle of last season, and Navarre Trojaqn can back me up on this, Hampton is the most like Haugabook, and is the most likely replacement for Omar.

Do I think Levi could take it away from him? Yes! But, he will have to get more mobile. Levi has size, which makes him a better candidate for dropping back to pass more, because he can see over the line better, and won't rely on passing lanes as much. But this offense is suited for a dual-threat QB, and Hampton has better wheels than either Jones or Brown.

I met the kid (Hampton), his gf (at the time at least), and his Dad, at last year's spring game after he had de-committed from Purdue and decided to come to Troy. He's a super kid, and I think he is genuinely happy to be at Troy and closer to home.

Hampton, IMO, should be the starter going into the fall. Brown would have to take it away from him for him not to be, or Hampton would have to get hurt. Now, I do think there will be games next season, that it might be an advantage to start Brown because of his size. There are going to be games that it will be in our best interest to play more drop-back pass, and Brown and maybe even Jones would be better suited for that. That's the beauty of what we have right now. We have capable QBs for different situations.

AND, don't forget who our incoming Freshman QB is this year, and will in all likelihood, get a red-shirt. Corey Robinson will push real hard next year for some PT. I am pleased as punch with the way the next five years look at QB. The real question is, can we maintain the OL continuity? This year we will have the best OL we have ever had, hands down. Can we keep that going to protect these great QBs for the next 5 years?

troyman20
04-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Everyone talks about Hamptons size i saw and talk to him at T-day. And he is 6'3 and about 205. and i say Levi is about 6'4 and about 220 but Hampton is 18 and Levi 21. Time is on Hampton's side to get bigger and stronger!!

TU/JSU Fan
04-09-2008, 08:34 PM
I don't think Robinson will fight for PT this year. I just don't see a true Frosh coming in and playing over the three we have currently battling it out. I still am not so sure about Robinson.. Why was he not heavily recruited? Something just seems fishy with him. Is it size alone? I mean... 91 TDs and your instate schools didn't offer... I mean there are plenty of places that would love to have a kid that threw 91 TDs in a season, but for some reason he wasn't highly rated or recruited.. Did he not attend camps? Did he just not reach out to Rivals and Scout? What is his deal?

I wasn't high on Hampton simply because he came from a TINY Alabama HS and I just didn't think that his competition level would lead to him being successful at Troy, but I guess learning against one of the better Defenses in the country would dramatically change your abilities huh?

Levi is a great size dude.. I just don't think he fits this particular system. I think he would be better suited for like an Alabama or something where he can be a little more 'traditional'. I am glad we got him, but I am just afraid that he is going to waste his time here..

Troy87
04-09-2008, 08:51 PM
I don't think Robinson will fight for PT this year. I just don't see a true Frosh coming in and playing over the three we have currently battling it out. I still am not so sure about Robinson.. Why was he not heavily recruited? Something just seems fishy with him. Is it size alone? I mean... 91 TDs and your instate schools didn't offer... I mean there are plenty of places that would love to have a kid that threw 91 TDs in a season, but for some reason he wasn't highly rated or recruited.. Did he not attend camps? Did he just not reach out to Rivals and Scout? What is his deal?

I wasn't high on Hampton simply because he came from a TINY Alabama HS and I just didn't think that his competition level would lead to him being successful at Troy, but I guess learning against one of the better Defenses in the country would dramatically change your abilities huh?

Levi is a great size dude.. I just don't think he fits this particular system. I think he would be better suited for like an Alabama or something where he can be a little more 'traditional'. I am glad we got him, but I am just afraid that he is going to waste his time here..

Well, now I didn't say Robinson would compete for position this year. I said he would likely red-shirt and compete next year.

As for Hampton being 6'3", he must have grown since last spring, because he was barely an inch taller than me, and I'm 6'0". Not saying this isn't possible, but that's a surprise, and if it is in fact the case, then there should be no real reason he should not be the starting QB this fall.

And as for Hampton being from tiny ole' Calera, well Purdue thought enough of him to recruit him, and I think they have had a couple pretty good QBs in their past (Bob Griese and Drew Brees pop to mind). He's the real deal, and a quality QB who in the end, didn't want to get too far from home. Good for Troy.....too bad for Purdue!

ksdtrojan
04-10-2008, 06:20 AM
I agree Robinson will likely redshirt, but if he came into camp as a better QB than what we have he would deserve to get some serious looks as starter. The odds are against him for that because of the talent we have at QB. He will redshirt and learn the full offense although his offense in high school was the same as ours so that will not be that difficult. Oh and he did go to camp - Troy's camp.

TU/JSU Fan
04-10-2008, 08:28 AM
KSD - thanks for the info on Robinson coming to the Troy camp.. That would explain one reason how we knew about him when the big boys didn't seem to.

87 - Hampton is from Cedar Bluff, not Calera. Calera is no where near the football program as Cedar Bluff, even though it is a bigger school. Cedar Bluff is, to Hampton's credit, one of the better 1A HS Programs in Alabama and has produced some athletes with absolutely incredible numbers. Their top WR Prospect held the state record for Yards and TDs (dont' quote me on the TDs - as I think a kid from my old high school might actually hold that record - but I know he held the career WR Yards Record for a year until Terrell Zachary, who played at Wadley and then has gone on to Auburn) went to Cedar Bluff and was in fact Hampton's best target for a year or so in their wide open offense, but he went to Jacksonville State. He was undersized as a WR (5-9 or so) and never really has done much. Cedar Bluff does have an incredibly wide open offensive scheme, but I never thought their athletes left HS prepared for College football because of the level of competition (they are in an incredibly weak area in North Alabama) and just because Hampton threw for 8-9 thousand yards it didn't mean anything. If he has grown to 6-3 that is incredible as I thought he was about 6'1 or so too from standing around him and judging by my height. If he truly is only 18 still (as someone earlier said) then he could truly have grown 2 inches since getting on campus.

I don't care who plays anymore as long as they are the best candidate for the job! I honestly thought for a while Levi was the only one I wanted to see play, but now I think Hampton, Brown, Robinson or anyone should provided they know the system and can run it effectively.

troyman20
04-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Hampton did not play with that WR you are talking about... Hampton did not start until his JR year and he mine throw for maybe 6000 yds. If you ask me he has came a long way for about 27 or 28 start in 1A football!!

Rushing Passing

Statistics Yds TD PA PC Pct Yds TD Int
2004 (So.) - - 67 38 56.7 503 5 0
2005 (Jr.) 367 3 184 117 63.6 1,989 35 2

Langfan
04-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Still think this race goes into the fall.

troyman20
04-10-2008, 04:17 PM
No it is over hampton is the starter they will let it out sooon... maybe Drew will fine out something soon!!

Langfan
04-10-2008, 04:19 PM
No it is over hampton is the starter they will let it out sooon... maybe Drew will fine out something soon!!

You seem to have the inside scoop. Indulge me if you will?

troyman20
04-10-2008, 04:21 PM
I Just Did!!

playfailstoogain
04-10-2008, 04:33 PM
I Just Did!!

Drew just broke the news on his blog hampton starter coming out of spring...

TU/JSU Fan
04-10-2008, 05:15 PM
You're right.. Hampton wouldn't have played with the WR at JSU... According to his Rival's Profile he did play his Soph, JR and SR years though.. He passed for 500 yards his Soph year. Then he passed for 2000 his JR year. He did throw 35 tds and only 2 INTs his JR year. That is impressive.. According to his Troy bio he had roughly 5000 yards passing in High School which would have meant he through for about 2500 his SR year.

Josh Moten (the WR at JSU) graduated in 2003 so they would have been on the team together while Hampton was in 9th grade, but since he didn't play QB that year (or stats never talk about that year) I would assume he didn't throw to him... Cole Pierce would have been the QB that threw to Moten.. According to the State record book Hampton is 11th place all time in the state for TD passes in a season (35 JR Year). The odd thing is that he doesn't appear in the record book for yards in a season (the last one in the book shows 2000 yards and I would have thought he eclipsed that mark 2 times... Odd..

Either way I was wrong and Hampton really didn't have a 'big time' WR to throw to in HS. I read a good article on Scout.com about him a few minutes ago talking about his committment to Purdue. He was found by their recruiter that focuses in the South.. He saw him on film, went to a game and invited him to their summer camp. After a week at the camp he went to some "elite 11" camp (not really sure what it is) and Purdue offered him a scholarship based on performance at their camp, film, and what he did at the Elite 11 camp. At that time he was also shown interest by Auburn and Kentucky as both had put scouts out watching him live at his games. He was never offered by either. He had 2 'official offers' according to Rivals (Purdue and Troy), when he received the Troy offer he quickly decommitted from Purdue and decided Troy was it because of proximinity to home. I would think that had Auburn offered he would have gone there as in the article I read he seemed pretty interested by saying that if Auburn offered he would definitely take them up on a visit and see what they had to offer him, but then the next sentence said, however I am very committed to the Boilermakers.

troyman20
04-10-2008, 06:41 PM
The elite 11 is where the top QBs in the nation competed against each other to see who was the best.