PDA

View Full Version : NIU band is going.....

troy_university_majorette
12-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Got this on the band website....

Hello, my name is Dave Schulz and I'm in the Northern Illinois University drumline. Just yesterday I found out that the NIU Huskie marching band is flying out with our football team to the Silicon Valley bowl to play your team.

So, is your marching band headed out to San Jose as well? It would be nice if the two bands has some time to mingle and talk. Even some friendly competition could be fun, as I learned earlier when NIU and Ball State drumlines had a cliche drumoff kind of like the movie.

If you guys are going, what type of show are you planning. We voted to use our Swing show from earlier this season.

See you all on the 30th hopefully. It should be a fun game.

--Dave, NIU Drumline Ba** drum 4

If THEY'RE gonna be there, we HAVE to be there... we'd blow them out of the water!!!!! :twisted:

Nice Trojan
12-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Nuff said right there......SEND THE BAND

sotsmom
12-06-2004, 02:14 PM
I can make cookies and have tons of stuff for a huge yard sale! Lets got on the "band" wagon and raise some money to send the band!

svenattroy
12-06-2004, 02:17 PM
I agree. How much would it cost to charter some buses from troy to San Jose? It just wouldn't be a college football game without the good ol' Sound of the South.

sotsmom
12-06-2004, 02:23 PM
I'm not thinking buses! Its 2400 miles, approx. 36 hours. Maybe fly the band members and have a smaller group to drive the equipment. ??????

slvrhwkeye
12-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Look I'm in the band, if ya'll want us to go, do more than talking about it on the net!!!! Start sending e-mails and letters make your voice heard let everyone know that you want us to go. Lord knows that we want to be there!!!

NIU92alum
12-06-2004, 03:18 PM
I'm sure you school will pay for the band to go. NIU is sending their band and I know our budget is as tight as anyones... That is why bowl have a payout. Part of the money goes to fund the cost of getting the team, band, coaches etc. to the game.

I'm sure the school will make a decision/announcement re: the band shortly. Surely they would send the band if they know NIU is sending theirs - they would look foolish otherwise, which they won't allow themselves to appear...

Navarre Trojan
12-06-2004, 03:20 PM
What about the payout thing. If I remember correctly, the payout to the conference is AFTER EXPENSES, not the entire 750K and the school fend for the rest. Send the band, with the team, at the same time, and give them a reward as well.

Has anyone seen any numbers? Like what will it cost per band member to attend? Are any arrangements being looked into? Are tickets comp'd for the band? They should be, the football team gets in free!

SOTSMOM, can we get some numbers so we will know what we are looking at spending to send the SOTS?

GO TROJANS - WE HAVE TO HAVE THE BAND!

TSUWhiner
12-06-2004, 03:45 PM
Stop acting like Troy is the only college band that is good and that your going to "blow" them out or blah blah blah. At least NIU doesnt dress backwards to a form :). Fred do you think you can steal me the old mascot uniform so I have an excuse to go :)?

TroyTuba
12-06-2004, 03:52 PM
Shut yer pie-hole, nobody was acting like we are the only good college band......apparently it was good enough for you to graduate from, stop losing jobs, you're making a Troy degree worthless.

BlueRaiderPride
12-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Nuff said right there......SEND THE BAND

Hmmmmmm. . .the Northern Illinois band only has like 130 members and you can fit 130 people on one plane.

Now I thought the Troy band had nearly 300 members in which I don't think a 737 can hold that many so Troy would have to pay for TWO flights and hope to God they both make it to San Jose without any problems.

I'm sure it's costing NIU a pretty penny to send their smaller band to San Jose, plus NIU's total budget is probably slightly larger than Troy's because of it's larger overall student population and it's market, Chicago.

TSUWhiner
12-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Start graduating...get your degree then talk your trash @sshole!

sotsmom
12-06-2004, 04:20 PM
I did a little calculating and I think they could go for under $200,000. We just need to raise some money, get a little support from Movie Gallery and some rich alumni!

troy_university_majorette
12-06-2004, 06:32 PM
Start graduating...get your degree then talk your trash @sshole!

Hmmmmm...there's always gotta be SOMEBODY to start an argument!!!!!! :roll:

TSUWhiner
12-06-2004, 06:36 PM
we all love each other here...ask TUMarkus :) we sat near each other at a basketball game..you would think he is all calm :)..he was screaming at some ref at the Jack St. game :0 good times..good times

huskiealum03
12-06-2004, 07:37 PM
I hate to say it, but our band is not that great. :oops:

TroyTuba
12-06-2004, 10:13 PM
It'll be ok, we'll give you "Whiner," nobody is better than he was...... :roll:

JPSousa1898
12-06-2004, 10:26 PM
I hate to say it, but our band is not that great. :oops:

As long as you have fun... that's all that matters...

Dr. Johny Long always says that Band should be spelled F-U-N!

So far as a good show... NO band in these United States can compare to the Troy University Sound of the South... it is a unique band and a unique program. Just go out there and blow your heart out and support your team. (Even though Troy will win. :wink: )

The SOTS has been an ambassador of good will for Troy for many years and I hope that they will continue to do so for many more years.

We hope to see you Huskies at the game! I will be in TV land as I will be at a confrence, but when that first note is played from the SOTS, I gurantuee you that my spirit will be with the band, as will the rest of the SOTS alumni since 1965 and you WILL know it. :wink:

Have a safe holiday and trip to San Jose.

gotroygo
12-06-2004, 10:33 PM
God I wish I could be there to hear the first note of the Fanfare. Maybe I'll hear a little bit of it on TV. I guess I'll be watching half-time around 1am Florida time. Actually, I don't even know, will the bands play at half or are they likely to have some other entertainment? Please pardon the Bowl game ignorance.

TroyTuba
12-06-2004, 10:37 PM
Each band will get 5 minutes at halftime......

gotroygo
12-06-2004, 10:39 PM

That's it?! It'll take that long to get on the field. They may only play the first note of Fanfare and then walk off. ha ha

Still wish I could be there just to hear 5 minutes worth of the Sound.

TroyTuba
12-06-2004, 10:48 PM
It'll end up being the fanfare and probably Sweet Georgia Brown, we'll know for sure tomorrow.

JPSousa1898
12-06-2004, 11:00 PM
It'll end up being the fanfare and probably Sweet Georgia Brown, we'll know for sure tomorrow.

And the fightsong off the field, followed by down, side, bow! :wink:

hehehehehe... GO TROJANS!

tupianoman
12-06-2004, 11:21 PM
I don't really care what we end up playing I'm just excited about the possibility that we might actually go. Go TROJANS!!! Whoop whoop!!!

Tom Green
12-06-2004, 11:43 PM

That's it?! It'll take that long to get on the field. They may only play the first note of Fanfare and then walk off. ha ha

That's all it would take. :wink:

tupianoman
12-07-2004, 12:01 AM
That's all it would take. :wink:

You got that right!! :D

JPSousa1898
12-07-2004, 12:07 AM
Yeah... but I wanna hear ya in Evansville, IN... so ya gotta play more than the first note of the fanfare. :wink: