PDA

View Full Version : The Band MUST go!

sae92
12-06-2004, 12:22 PM
I just spoke with a friend in Columbia and he could not believe that we are even having a discussion about our band not going. He is a USC (Gamecock) fan and we hung out with them in Columbia when we played them. What a great game and in a stadium of 80K+ people we made our presence heard.

He said the same thing I hear others saying. "Troy is going to get much needed NATIONAL attention and for you to not have you band there would be terrible."

Aren't we getting $750,000.00 or something for this bowl appearance. Use some of that money!!! Charter a 727 or something. It can be done.

Even if we are not getting money, I think all fans need to make some noise about this. If we do not take the band, have a marginal turnout and do not sell tons of tickets, how many people will be turned off to the school we all are so proud to be a part of.

This is our chance in the national spotlight and we had damn well better take advantage of it.

I don't care how much it costs...the band should go!!!

sotsmom
12-06-2004, 12:39 PM
:) As a band mom I am with you and also I've become a huge Trojan fan! The band needs to be there for the school and for the team. Thats a loooong way from Troy, alabama and the team needs some friendly faces and NOISE! Not to mention how great the band is and what a great show they would put on! Let's hear it for the band!

troy_university_majorette
12-06-2004, 01:36 PM
I just felt like saying,..THANKS GUYS for everyone's support!!! :D

GuardGirlie
12-06-2004, 01:39 PM
I just felt like saying,..THANKS GUYS for everyone's support!!! :D

likewise ... thank you everyone :)

BlueRaiderPride
12-06-2004, 03:40 PM
I just spoke with a friend in Columbia and he could not believe that we are even having a discussion about our band not going. He is a USC (Gamecock) fan and we hung out with them in Columbia when we played them. What a great game and in a stadium of 80K+ people we made our presence heard.

He said the same thing I hear others saying. "Troy is going to get much needed NATIONAL attention and for you to not have you band there would be terrible."

Aren't we getting $750,000.00 or something for this bowl appearance. Use some of that money!!! Charter a 727 or something. It can be done.

Even if we are not getting money, I think all fans need to make some noise about this. If we do not take the band, have a marginal turnout and do not sell tons of tickets, how many people will be turned off to the school we all are so proud to be a part of.

This is our chance in the national spotlight and we had damn well better take advantage of it.

I don't care how much it costs...the band should go!!!

I know that seems unbelievable for your band not to go, but in all honesty it would cost over $1 million to send your band to San Jose. I'm not lying! The cost of the bowl payout barely covers your teams charter flights, hotel costs, meals, etc.

Think about this. For MTSU to send our band to a game an hour and a half away at nearby Tennessee Tech would cost the institution $11,000. In fact, for Troy to send the band to a game at UAB, it runs your school nearly $30,000!

However, not many schools have sponsors that pay for stuff. Perhaps Movie Gallery could flip the bill for your band, but you would be looking at a bill over $1 million to send your band nearly 2,000 miles away. No joke.

Do you now understand, though, why your university is already saying that the band won't go. There are alot of BC$ teams in the east that wouldn't send their band that far for a bowl game.

My bad, I see where NIU is sending their band. The school pays for that, not the athletic department.

Like I said, Movie Gallery should flip the bill.

BMarkey
12-06-2004, 03:56 PM
I seem to remember reading that it cost the band $50,000 to attend one of the Nebraska games. This can't be that much more expensive.

sae92
12-06-2004, 03:58 PM
I am not in the band shipping business but I have a VERY hard time accepting those numbers.

What makes you so knowledgeable on this type of thing? I am familiar with what it costs to charter flights per hour and unless the plane is stocked with Beluga, Louis XIII and dancing girls it would not be bad at all for a 10 hour charter trip on a 737 or something similar.

The equipment could be sent the same way we send the equipment to away games now...Covan Worldwide Moving. Those guys do an excellent job, love Troy football and would probably give us a great deal on freight there and back for the equipment.

Blowing it off saying it costs too much is the easy way out and I'll bet you you're wrong about the NIU band as well as the cost to send them.

sotsmom
12-06-2004, 04:17 PM
I did a little rough estimating. Even if you paid $600 per plane ticket, thats roughly $150,000 - Add another $10,000 for 2 nights lodging, $20,000 for feeding them and another $5000 for transporting equipment and incidentals - what have u got? About $185,000 - not $1 million. Get real! I think it is do-able! Lets get on the "band" wagon and send them to San Jose!

Troydrumr357
12-06-2004, 04:44 PM
You also have to add in for the 6 buses for the band once their in San Jose to and from the airport, and around the city once the band is there. Also, they would have to charter 2 planes to take the entire band, because 1 will only hold 200 people, and the SOTS is about 280

TropolitanSportsEditor
12-06-2004, 05:18 PM
They took one plane to Nebraska. The bigger planes hold more people. Besides, I don't think that there is any reason, monetary or not, to keep the band stateside. 1 million? You have got to be kidding me!

Send the band, and make arrangements on some cut deals on flights for the students. It's worth for next season!

GuardGirlie
12-06-2004, 06:02 PM
I did a little rough estimating. Even if you paid $600 per plane ticket, thats roughly $150,000 - Add another $10,000 for 2 nights lodging, $20,000 for feeding them and another $5000 for transporting equipment and incidentals - what have u got? About $185,000 - not $1 million. Get real! I think it is do-able! Lets get on the "band" wagon and send them to San Jose!

Yay "mom"! :D :D :D :D :D

TUEngineer
12-06-2004, 06:04 PM
They took one plane to Nebraska. The bigger planes hold more people. Besides, I don't think that there is any reason, monetary or not, to keep the band stateside. 1 million? You have got to be kidding me!

Send the band, and make arrangements on some cut deals on flights for the students. It's worth for next season!

Who took a plane to Nebraska? A friend of mine was a freshman in the SOTS when they went to Nebraska, and they took buses...

BMarkey
12-06-2004, 06:07 PM
The Nebraska trip was by bus.

I don't think there are any commonly charter-able planes that hold 300 people.

Last year, the charter plane to UVA wasn't even large enough to hold the team, coaches, radio people and support staff.

D1Trojan4U
12-06-2004, 06:18 PM
I agree that the band should probably go. Of all the fans that we could send, they are definitely the loudest. And if they get told to shut up, we'll all get into it!! (MTSU)

However, just playing devil's advocate here, would the SOTS even get to take the field at halftime? I know many bowl games have their own halftime shows already planned out, so it may not be worth it to send the band only to sit in the stands the whole game. just thought it was worth throwing it out.

GuardGirlie
12-06-2004, 06:28 PM
However, just playing devil's advocate here, would the SOTS even get to take the field at halftime? I know many bowl games have their own halftime shows already planned out, so it may not be worth it to send the band only to sit in the stands the whole game. just thought it was worth throwing it out.

That is true, that's why there is this little thing hanging in the air about either half of the band goes or the whole band goes. And if there is a possibility that there is going to be no half time show, then there is no point of letting those in the aux going - and that's quite frankly not fair.

gdawkins
12-06-2004, 06:38 PM
SEND THE BAND!! SEND THE BAND!! SEND THE BAND!!!!!!!!

troy_university_majorette
12-06-2004, 06:41 PM
That is true, that's why there is this little thing hanging in the air about either half of the band goes or the whole band goes. And if there is a possibility that there is going to be no half time show, then there is no point of letting those in the aux going - and that's quite frankly not fair.

HECK NO!!! We put just as much effort into the show as any instrumentalist out there!!!! We work hard!! We deserve a reward!!!!!!

TropolitanSportsEditor
12-06-2004, 06:45 PM
I think that if the whole band can't go, no band goes. It isn't fair to reward just have or 3/4 of the band. Let 'em all go or don't send 'em at all. It just isn't fair to send part of it.

Do you bake a pie without the crust? I don't think so.
Let 'em all go...damnit!

pkf4troy
12-06-2004, 06:48 PM
I dont think this has been mentioned but people are screaming about money for the band to go......and about the funds the school receives from the bowl itself......HAS ANYONE EVEN MENTIONED THAT THERE ARE 2 SUNBELT TEAMS IN BOWLS THIS YEAR AND WE GET PAYOUTS FROM BOTH????? Just thought I'd through that out there. Being a SOTS alum, if money wasnt an issue, dont some of you think that we would have been at alot more games. Not just some of the band but the ENTIRE band? It is alot harder to place 300 band students.....WITH THE EQUIPMENT....on planes. I was on the trip to SF Austin in Texas, which we lost.....14 hours or so out there, then turn around around and do it straight back on buses. THAT SUCKED! Smell from the toliets and air conditioners always breaking down was horrible and happened every trip. There are weight regulations on planes.....as I'm sure you guys know. At this time of the year it is going to be hard to get 2 or 3 planes just for the SOTS. I am trying so hard myslef to go but I dont want to tick off my wife or have to skip a house payment. I am waiting until the packages come out before I form a decision. I will still buy the 2 tickets I promised to buy if I cant go. I know Mr. Ford and the SOTS staff are trying to pull every string they can find to get the band to San Jose......patience people...please!

GuardGirlie
12-06-2004, 06:49 PM

HECK NO!!! We put just as much effort into the show as any instrumentalist out there!!!! We work hard!! We deserve a reward!!!!!!

I totally agree. :D

TUrocks
12-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, and I may be:

Didn't I read somewhere, before football season, that the reason the band didn't go to LSU was because the administration was confident we had a shot at going to the New Orleans Bowl???? If that was the case, did they put money away for this possibility???? Of course, we aren't going to the N.O. Bowl, but if money was put away for this, that should take care of part of the financial burden.

I was in the band at Troy, and I was in many leadership roles in the band, and from my experience, the higher ups have the power to get the band to San Jose, maybe not directly (sponsers or donors). I hope they understand how important it is that the band goes to this bowl game. I saw on another post that someone listed emails of people to write. All you need is one of those. Write Dr. Jack and graciously state why you believe it's important for the band to be there and back it up as to why you believe that. He has the power to get this done, and besides, it's his job. I'm sorry, but sometimes, in the past, I've questioned the decision making by higher ups as to what games were important for the band to be at, and this one should be a no brainer!!!!

Did everyone notice how fast the NIU band found out they were going????? Are our schools that financially different?????

TUEngineer
12-06-2004, 07:31 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, and I may be:

Didn't I read somewhere, before football season, that the reason the band didn't go to LSU was because the administration was confident we had a shot at going to the New Orleans Bowl???? If that was the case, did they put money away for this possibility???? Of course, we aren't going to the N.O. Bowl, but if money was put away for this, that should take care of part of the financial burden.

The band didn't go because it was LSU's homecoming...wouldn't get to perform.

TUrocks
12-06-2004, 08:28 PM
My bad, TUengineer. Thanks for the correct info. I hadn't heard that it was because it was their homecoming. That makes sense.

TUEngineer
12-06-2004, 08:34 PM
My bad, TUengineer. Thanks for the correct info. I hadn't heard that it was because it was their homecoming. That makes sense.

It's all good...I had also heard that it was because LSU sent a letter to Troy saying they couldn't guarantee the band's safety... I'm not sure if there's any truth to it...but it was LSU's homecoming.

GuardGirlie
12-06-2004, 09:15 PM
It was on both counts; they couldn't guarantee our safety and if we went, we wouldn't perform our 1/2 time show at 1/2 time, it would have been 20 minutes before the game started from what I was told.

T-Rotten
12-06-2004, 09:18 PM
I have noticed there are several current band members on the board. I am e-mailing the chancellor and Ralph, but please follow up with them. I spoke with an executive at Covan/Coleman Moving and he is going to talk with the others about the possibility of coming up with something to transport the equipment if needed and asked. Tell Ralph he needs to follow-up. There is a possibility, but it will need some work and a willing driver from Coleman.

TroyTuba
12-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Also, it wasn't a conference game. That played more heavily than the homecoming aspect. We drove to Mississippi State twice (once pep band, once whole band) and both times it was their homecoming.

JPSousa1898
12-06-2004, 10:15 PM
To all of you fellow Troy fans, GO TROJANS!
What a great year it has been for us!

Also, as a SOTS Alumnus myself, I would like to let you know that we welcome any generous donations that you make to us. The band has been one thing that every Trojan fan has always been proud of, and will continue to be proud of as long as the SOTS stays the quality it does. HOWEVER, we have done so much with so little over the years and now that we are playing in the big leagues with the big boys instead of being the big boys in the little league, Mr. Ford and the staff can only stretch the band budget so far.

With all that being said... if you want to help out the SOTS in the future, please send $$$$$$, every little bit helps!

To those of you who are helping the band to go to San Jose, THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH!!!! The current and alumni SOTS thank you for your support of us.

tsu00
12-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Blow Sots......he said Blow....hehe

Scoots71
12-06-2004, 10:58 PM
Can you beleive that they think this board is funny on the NIU board.

Troydrumr357
12-06-2004, 11:42 PM
I think it's funny that they've pretty much stopped posting on here......guess they got scared when they found out who they were playing.

NIU92alum
12-07-2004, 12:06 AM
I am not in the band shipping business but I have a VERY hard time accepting those numbers.

What makes you so knowledgeable on this type of thing? I am familiar with what it costs to charter flights per hour and unless the plane is stocked with Beluga, Louis XIII and dancing girls it would not be bad at all for a 10 hour charter trip on a 737 or something similar.

The equipment could be sent the same way we send the equipment to away games now...Covan Worldwide Moving. Those guys do an excellent job, love Troy football and would probably give us a great deal on freight there and back for the equipment.

Blowing it off saying it costs too much is the easy way out and I'll bet you you're wrong about the NIU band as well as the cost to send them.

It won't be as expensive to get the Troy State band to SVC as the NIU band... The banjos, spoons and whiskey jugs don't take up as much space. :)

TroyTuba
12-07-2004, 12:18 AM
And they say we can't read in the south.....it's Troy, no State, just Troy. It does cost a pretty penny to air-freight our fiddles, though. There will be two arse whoopin's in Cali: your football team's and your band's 8)

sae92
12-07-2004, 12:20 AM
Don't forget the juice harps and harmonicas NIU92alum.

The guy that said it would be over a million knows not what he speaks of. I'll bet you could get both bands there for half that and still have money left over for the Trojan victory parade down here in hickville.

Ya'll would be invited of course...after all we'll need need someone to fetch beers for us.

Hope to see you in SJC. Made your reservations yet?

Tom Green
12-07-2004, 12:24 AM
There will be two arse whoopin's in Cali: your football team's and your band's 8)

Damn straight.

NIU92alum
12-07-2004, 12:28 AM
I'm one of those middle 30's chaps with a wife and two young kids. Mrs. NIU92alum would not be thrilled to watch the kids by herself for 2-3 days while I have fun in San Jose. You know I'll be watching every snap on TV. I wish I was going so I could meet y'all. :)

TroyFeatureTwirler
12-07-2004, 12:37 AM
So sorry to hear that. You guys are going to be missing out on an experience.

Tom Green
12-07-2004, 12:38 AM
Or would it more accurately be youse guys? :)

NIU92alum
12-07-2004, 12:42 AM
Or would it more accurately be youse guys? :)

Definately "youse guys" if you live on the South side. Funny story... There is a pizza place here in the Chicago area called "Tree Guys Pizza" and the sign has a picture of three guys on it... The blue collar Chicago accent kills me. :lol:

Bret Hart Owns You
12-07-2004, 02:08 AM
Bears!

Okay, hypothetical situation -- two hurricanes collide. One of 'em's named "Hurricane Ditka," the other's named "Hurricane Jordan." Who wins?

niuhuskie84
12-07-2004, 02:33 AM
ha the chicago accent is great, i know so many people who speak just like that. heres a pretty funny but accurate site with chicago lingo http://members.aol.com/mistamoose/vocab.html

slvrhwkeye
12-07-2004, 02:55 AM
I personally believe that there is enough support for the band that everyone will get to go, that my be being optimistic, but hey I think it's a valid way to be in this situation.

However, I've been told that it will cost a little bit over $200,000 to send the band. Cost break down so you know why.

Air Fair
Lodging
Food
Transportation to and from Air Ports and in San Jose
And Tickets
(yes believe it or not we have to pay for a certain number of blocked off seats for us to be there and at $100 plus a ticket that adds up quick)

But that's not a million dollars and I think that it isn't a lofty or unreachable goal. Send the SOTS blow down the House and show NIU what a real band can DO!!!!

Rah4Troy
12-07-2004, 12:08 PM
There will be two arse whoopin's in Cali: your football team's and your band's 8)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

slvrhwkeye
12-08-2004, 02:10 PM

Amen Brother!!!!