ksdtrojan
01-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Excellent! TMTDMer coming home!

Trojan2003
01-04-2008, 07:42 AM
Montgomery Advertiser

Trojans fill Franklin void

By A. Stacy Long

-> http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080104/SPORTS/801040342/1002

Troy University is hiring a former player from one of its national championship teams to fill an opening on its football staff.

Kenny Edenfield, the offensive coordinator at North Alabama for the last six years, will be officially named Troy's inside receivers coach today.

"My family is really excited -- we all are -- about the chance to get back," Edenfield said.

The Trojans will also announce a new offensive coordinator, head coach Larry Blakeney said without hinting who it would be. Troy has been without a coordinator since Tony Franklin left for Auburn last month.

In two years with Franklin's spread offense, the Trojans were one of the top offensive teams in the Sun Belt Conference. Troy, which came within one win of playing in a second straight New Orleans Bowl this season, won't change its system, Blakeney said.

"We're going to keep the same offense," Blakeney said.

The status of Troy's coaching staff and Edenfield's addition hints to who the offensive coordinator might be. Neal Brown has been Troy's inside receivers coach for the last two seasons with Franklin. Brown was a player at Kentucky from 1998-2000 and Franklin was on the staff.

Edenfield, who watched Troy from the stands in the 2006 New Orleans Bowl, said he talked to Blakeney last week.

"After Christmas, we visited and he made a decision and I was excited about it," Edenfield said. "It all happened pretty quick . . . and I can't wait to get started."

Edenfield was a three-year letterman at receiver for the Trojans and played on the 1987 Division II championship team. Edenfield caught 47 career passes.

His wife, Pamela, is a Troy native who graduated from Charles Henderson High. They have four children: 15-year-old son K.D. and daughters Caitlin, 12, Christina, 10, and Kiley, 5.

UNA ranked in the top 20 in Division II scoring offenses the last four years. The Lions averaged almost 410 yards offense this year and reached the national quarterfinals.

Edenfield also coached with one current Troy assistant at UNA. Defensive ends coach Brian Turner, who is also the Trojans' recruiting coordinator, was the offensive line coach at UNA in 2002, Edenfield's first year.

----------

Todd not big loss: The Trojans lost a quarterback commitment to Auburn when Franklin left last month, but Blakeney said he understood losing the quarterback.

Chris Todd of Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College switched his allegiance to the Tigers and followed Franklin.

There was a relationship there with Tony way before Tony ever came to Troy," Blakeney said. "The boy is a good player and we'd have liked to have him, but we'll move on.

"We have a lot of good players already and we have a couple right now that we're interested in."

The Trojans are trying to replace Omar Haugabook, the two-time Sun Belt Offensive Player of the Year. Troy has three quarterbacks returning who have seen game action -- Tanner Jones, Jonathan Chandler and Jamie Hampton. Another, Levi Brown, is a transfer who played for two years at Richmond.

"Chris Todd would have made it a five-man race," Blakeney said.

WeSuck.com
01-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Montgomery Advertiser

Todd not big loss: The Trojans lost a quarterback commitment to Auburn when Franklin left last month, but Blakeney said he understood losing the quarterback.

Chris Todd of Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College switched his allegiance to the Tigers and followed Franklin.

There was a relationship there with Tony way before Tony ever came to Troy," Blakeney said. "The boy is a good player and we'd have liked to have him, but we'll move on.

"We have a lot of good players already and we have a couple right now that we're interested in."

The Trojans are trying to replace Omar Haugabook, the two-time Sun Belt Offensive Player of the Year. Troy has three quarterbacks returning who have seen game action -- Tanner Jones, Jonathan Chandler and Jamie Hampton. Another, Levi Brown, is a transfer who played for two years at Richmond.

"Chris Todd would have made it a five-man race," Blakeney said.

I'm telling you, this man is one of the best recruiters in the country and he will have us reloaded before toe meets leather in '08.

troy4ever
01-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Sounds like Blakeney has done very good on getting this hire!!!

Trojan2003
01-04-2008, 02:15 PM
posted by a Delta State fan on d2messageboard.com:

WOW...that is a HUGE LOSS for UNA. Edenfield was THE MAN on that coaching staff. That is great news for TROY--they are very lucky to be getting him. It will be extremely difficult to find someone as good as Edenfield before next year. Hopefully for UNA's sake, Coach Hud was taking notes as to how to run an offense.

cville
01-04-2008, 03:46 PM
For those of you that follow coaching much closer than I do, I have a question.

How much of a step up is UNA OC to Troy WR coach?

What I mean by that is, is this a step up or a lateral move? If lateral, why the move?

My take is that CLB is expecting future coaches to leave and has given Edenfield a hint that he might be the OC in a couple of more years. It sounds like Edenfield might be in Troy for years to come and could be a very stable/permanent coach for Troy.

cville

FHBrian
01-04-2008, 04:10 PM
I was wondering about whether the move was lateral or not. Doesn't seem like it was that big of a move up but how many D2 coordinators have you seen get OC positions. Hopefully he can move up and be the OC in the future.

Trojan2003
01-04-2008, 04:32 PM
I think we are very lucky; UCLA just hired North Dakota State's WRs coach Reggie Moore (former UCLA player) as a WR coach. In contrast, we hired a Top D2 OC as our new inside receivers coach.

Discophobia
01-04-2008, 04:38 PM
The last time I checked, UNA wasnt playing Ohio State or LSU last year. In the ladder that is college football, I would say it is a big step up. I hate for us to lose coaches, just like UNA is hating this, but look at some of the major names that have coached at Troy under LB. It is a great opportunity.

ThePowerMan
01-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Plus all of us are joining the TroJan Warriors and giving like never before so that we can pay these coaches more.

Hemi Man
01-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Plus all of us are joining the TroJan Warriors and giving like never before so that we can pay these coaches more.

Exactly right.

cville
01-04-2008, 05:03 PM
The last time I checked, UNA wasnt playing Ohio State or LSU last year. In the ladder that is college football, I would say it is a big step up. I hate for us to lose coaches, just like UNA is hating this, but look at some of the major names that have coached at Troy under LB. It is a great opportunity.

Of course it is a step up in program, but is it a big step up in the coaching profession?

I am not a coach, but I would assume the progression ladder would be D2 OC to IAA (FCS) HC, to 1A (FBS) OC to 1A HC or something similar. That just makes sense to me.

I am exited that he is coming to Troy and his history tells me that we are lucky to have him. Hopefully we can keep him here for a long time. He may even retire in Pike county.

cville

Navarre Trojan
01-04-2008, 05:06 PM
just maybe, it was a chance to come home (I believe his wife is from Troy) and a chance to coach at the D-1 level, at his school! An increase in salary, no doubt, but also a chance to coach against the national champion, the national champion runner up, and at least two other bowl teams (OSU and FAU).

So, yeah, I would absolutely say it was a step up, from Florence, Alabama.

Trojans1andAll
01-04-2008, 09:26 PM
So, I'm wondering if the reaction by UNA fans is anything like the reaction we had when that other guy left for that school up the road.

Navarre Trojan
01-04-2008, 09:47 PM
So, I'm wondering if the reaction by UNA fans is anything like the reaction we had when that other guy left for that school up the road.

Would like to see what their fans are saying about the loss of their OC

trojanbrutha
01-04-2008, 10:05 PM

the same initial shock we had...and the shock Aubie had when Muschamp left...priceless...

Trojan2003
01-05-2008, 04:52 AM

I don't have a link to UNA's message board but some UNA fans post on d2messageboard.com:

Edenfield heading to Troy
http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread.php?t=8331

Trojans1andAll
01-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Quote from Coach Hudspeth:

"We certainly hate to lose coach Edenfield, but I'm very appreciative of him *staying here six years* because he certainly had other offers," Hudspeth said. "This is a great opportunity for him and a chance to go back to his alma mater. I know he will have a lot of input there and will make a difference at Troy."

I can't help but say I would have had a similar attitude about that other guy leaving Troy if he had hung around longer.

TrojanEmpire
01-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Quote from Coach Hudspeth:

"We certainly hate to lose coach Edenfield, but I'm very appreciative of him *staying here six years* because he certainly had other offers," Hudspeth said. "This is a great opportunity for him and a chance to go back to his alma mater. I know he will have a lot of input there and will make a difference at Troy."

I can't help but say I would have had a similar attitude about that other guy leaving Troy if he had hung around longer.

That seems reasonable. I am sure many would have felt that way if he had stayed longer