PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling debate

Troy93
12-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Just wanted to start a new topic, while we wait. There was some talk last week on sports radio, that when the school presidents, NCAA, etc. meet this winter a 12th game will be added to the schedule next year. I think they realize how much revenue can be gained from playing an extra game. If that happens, who do you guys think we will schedule?

TrojanHoarse
12-05-2004, 12:15 PM
The bad thing about adding another game in regular season is that it makes a playoff format even less likely. I think over time, it would make more sense for every conference to go to a twelve team size which allows for conference championship. This would mean big shifts in conference membership that TROY's winning record could position us for a good spot.

Conference championships are already 12th games, followed by bowls (13th game.

The BCS bowls shoul serve as "playoff" hosts with the top 4 teams split among them (1 vs.4 & 2 vs.3) with the NO CONFERENCE TIE-INS, and the winner of those two games playing in a "super" bowl for the championship (14th game). Playing 14 games at college level makes sense for the national championship, but it does not make sense to have 12 game seasons, conf. championships, and bowls with those teams all playing 14 games.

TropolitanSportsEditor
12-05-2004, 01:06 PM
I don't think it will work that well. Revenue is obviously the midigating factor for that decision.

Remember that in 2006 the BCS is going to go to the plus one model. Where there will be four main bowls--Orange,Sugar,Rose,Fiesta -- plus one more bowl for the national champioinship. Supposedly the plus one bowl will be determined by the other four bowls.

So if they do go to a twelve game season, and the regular bowls act as 14 games, then in '06 there will be 15th game for two teams.

That's an aweful lot of games,but definitely more revenue.