PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Sales And The Band

Mr. Ho
12-05-2004, 10:58 AM
Mr. Ho working on plan to buy tickets, even if you not go to game. Buy ticket through athletic department and give them back to A.D.. A.D. give tickets to USO in Bay Area, or "low income school".

We need to sell 10k+ and tell the Indy Bowl that the Silicon Bowl is much better. Expectation very low for us. Mak estatement. Plus we get to plow MAC school.

Finally, band must load up on bus and go. This isn't DII or IAA, we DI and need to act like. As much as band drives me nuts, they good on road. Plus in that stadium, they loud like Who concert. Get penalty.

Come on Jack, you and your possey sit in coach and find a way for band to go. Leave on 27th, get there on 29th for pep rally.

troy4ever
12-05-2004, 02:59 PM
Just so all you guys know, the band is not going if we go to Silicon. That would put them on charter buses all the way out to California, in addition to the thousands of dollars it takes to move the band wherever they go. I doubt the funds are there to send them that far which would be a shame with it being Troy's first bowl game.

Nice Trojan
12-05-2004, 03:20 PM
That would really suck if the band were unable to go. This being TROY's first bowl and all. We need to make a good impression and the band is one of the best in the country. I am sure they would do whatever they could do allow them to go. Maybe a pep band, charter a flight. I have no idea the price on sending a large band like that across country. But hopefully something can be done to get them to Cali.

TrojanEmpire
12-05-2004, 03:39 PM
Don't give me this money b.s.

This is an important first in Troy athletics history and the band needs to be there to support it. Needs to be first class all the way. And that means finding the money for the marching band to go. Whetehr the music program has to sacrifice something or the school has to cough up some money, then so be it.

Now I am going to step on some toes with this next comment. If, and I stress if this we can't go because of the money involved argument is coming from the SOTS then they need to seriously get over themselves. The football team is the reason the marching band even exists. Yeah band competitions are great and everything but facts are facts. Now I am not saying that against the music program at Troy which is top notch and has produced many fine musicians. Bands are part of the atmosphere of college football and need to be there. Period.

svenattroy
12-05-2004, 03:41 PM
A friend of mine in the band said that no matter where they went, the band would be there, unless it was hawaii.

TrojanEmpire
12-05-2004, 03:44 PM
Well I certainly host that is the case. Then we can show those MAC folks what a group of "hicks and rednecks" can do with some new fangled musical type instruments :D

troy4ever
12-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Empire, the SOTS realizes that this is a first in Troy history and are just as desperate to go to the game as anyone. I know, I'm an alumni of the band, and was just up there talking with many of them yesterday. They definetely want to be there so there is no argument coming from them.

As far as the music program having to sacrifice to send the band, that's not going to happen. That's asking the School of Music which covers everything from the instrumental groups to the choral groups to sacrifice things or MONEY they may need for academic purposes to send the band to a football game. The music department shouldn't have to sacrifice and dip into its money to send the band. The UNIVERSITY as a whole should cough up the money. That's the way I feel as well as the people in the band. Now whether or not the administration listens, we'll have to wait and see.

I completely agree that the band should be there. But sometimes the logistics of the situation doesn't necessarily agree. Let's hope that the band goes and push the administration to see that it happens.

TrojanEmpire
12-05-2004, 04:53 PM
I am sure that in my previous post you overlooked that I said that the music school OR the school itself should fork over the money. I don't care who pays for it. the SOTS needs to be there

troy4ever
12-05-2004, 04:55 PM
I saw it...I was just making the point that the school of music shouldn't have to pay for it because they cover more programs than the band and are there to serve academic purposes only. That's all.

TrojanEmpire
12-05-2004, 04:57 PM
Is the SOTS not under the direct control of the music school? are they somehow separate? who usually pays for the transportation to other road games? not being a smart alec, i am curious

troy4ever
12-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Yeah, they are under the direct control of the school of music, but they are also responsible for helping to raise their own money to go to trips. And of course with the state that the education system in Alabama is in with money, the money is definetely not there in the school of music or the band to send 250 musicians on 6 charter buses all the way to California and back, plus hotels each night. It's sad, but that's just the way it is.

straughnguy
12-05-2004, 05:27 PM
The way we ( SOTS) were told, is if the game is beyond driving distance that the sponsors of the bowl game have/or most of the time offer to pay for the band to fly out to the game!! THE BAND WANTS TO GO!! SO DONT FUSS ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT THE " BAND " wants to go , its whether or not someone will fork out the money for us to go!!!

GO TROJANS!!!

TrojanEmpire
12-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Well straughn let's hope they do or that someone else does

BMarkey
12-05-2004, 09:36 PM
First of all, if this bowl pays $750,000, I'm sure some of that money could be used to transport the band. If the assistants to the assistants on the team and cheerleaders can go, so should the band.

I would go as far as donate toward a fund to send the band, if the bowl payout or school cannot afford the funds.

Let's face it, this is not a major bowl. It needs all the atmosphere it can get! Without one of Troy's best selling points (the Sound), the administration's marketing effort would be shooting blanks.

Besides, Troy is going to need some people to cheer for the Trojans, considering that the distance is going to severely limit fan attendance.

Damn, I was hoping for Disney!

Troy87
12-05-2004, 09:39 PM
Don't forget, we have to split that 750K with the conference brethern, and this year, I think that's 9 slices of pie

troy_university_majorette
12-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Man...I wish we could go!!! We wanna go really bad too..I mean, we would be a HUGE cheering section for the football team!!!! It's just like everyone is saying....money money money money money!!!! :(

BMarkey
12-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Don't forget, we have to split that 750K with the conference brethern, and this year, I think that's 9 slices of pie

If Troy is represented as an "at-large" team, it should not have to share anything with the conference.

By that same rule (no conference), the Indy Bowl wanted to screw Troy from $1.2 millon to $750,000.

Honestly, if Troy can barely pay is costs associated with the bowl (or perhaps even lose money), then it ought to just pass.

Let me have it ... I'm in a bad mood after finding that my cheapest fares from Florida are starting at $500. And most of the planes are booked. Ugh.

Troy87
12-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Being an "at-large" team doesn't have anything to do with the sharing of the revenues....at least not from what I have heard. Especially since WW was so involved in the bowl talks.

TroyTuba
12-05-2004, 10:31 PM
Now I am going to step on some toes with this next comment. If, and I stress if this we can't go because of the money involved argument is coming from the SOTS then they need to seriously get over themselves. The football team is the reason the marching band even exists. Yeah band competitions are great and everything but facts are facts. Now I am not saying that against the music program at Troy which is top notch and has produced many fine musicians. Bands are part of the atmosphere of college football and need to be there. Period.

My friend, the university decides where, and when we go. We were supposed to go to the LSU game and then got told we would not be going-by the adminstration of this university. Nobody in their right minds (in the music deptarment) would ever tell the good chancellor that we were not going to go somewhere. We are supported by the administration, therefore we do as directed.
It will cost $160,000 to charter a plane for the football team. It would be a lot more for 275 bandmembers.......plus hotel stay, plus per diem (which is approx. $25 per day, per person) totaling almost $6,875 per day to feed. Understand that this is not an excuse, just rather the facts about trips that are made. This bowl's payout was said to be $800,000 per team I believe. Most bowl's pay for the team's and sometimes the band's travel, this bowl is not the case. Being in the band, I would love to go, I love this team and have since I've arrived here in 1998. ( :D )
The truth of the matter is, it is up to bandmembers, fans, and supporters of this university to make the administration understand how important it will be for us to be there. I don't think we will have massive amounts of fans out there and the team will need all of the support and help it can get. It doesn't hurt to hear the fight song every now and then either.

TroyTuba
12-05-2004, 10:38 PM
Is the SOTS not under the direct control of the music school? are they somehow separate? who usually pays for the transportation to other road games? not being a smart alec, i am curious

Every year, the director of bands submits a cost breakdown for away games and the university administration then decides what trips they will send us on. This past season, we were tentatively scheduled to go to South Carolina, LSU, Arkansas State, and Univ of LA-Lafayette. The school decided to send us to U of L-L and SC, and to bank roll the money they were gonna use to send us to LSU for the New Orleans Bowl (which they thought was a sure thing :oops: ).

FRED_of_TROY
12-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Alright...Thanks everyone for your support. I'm glad you want us there. Trust me. WE WANT TO BE THERE!!! But, like TroyTuba said, it takes a LOT of money to transport the SOTS. I'm sure that if there is any way for anyone to pay for us to go, it will happen. We haven't been given any word yet, so don't gripe yet. If they tell us no tomorrow, then we should all let them know that the band should be there. Until then, just sit on it.

vaman79
12-06-2004, 12:00 AM
Someone earlier had checked on travel by train. Why not just book the train, take the band and any fans who want to go, no need for a hotel room but for 1 night then return. It could be a lot of fun..

sae92
12-06-2004, 12:11 AM
Listen to Mr. Ho! If we want to play with the big boys we have to be willing to ante up. The band has to be there!!! Come on, we're a bunch of intelligent people. We can figure out a way to get them there for a resonable price...besides...I'll bet you NIU will have theirs there. If they don't, it will be even better.

The first chance we get at a bowl game is unfortunately on the left coast which will keep a bunch of our crowd glued to the tv that day...we need the band there!!!

We can't be cheap about this and just have a few of us rednecks in one end zone with some bam-bams. Get the band there and make the ones of us that are going proud!!!

Make some noise Mr. Ho.

sotsmom
12-06-2004, 11:20 AM
Hi! I'm new to this website - been visiting the last week to keep up with bowl stuff. My son is in the band and wants VERY much to go to bowl game. Some of the band parents would probably be willing to help with cost of trip. I also feel strongly that the band needs to be there to support the team. Thanks for the great comments about the band. I am SOOO proud!

TrojanFan2
12-06-2004, 11:38 AM
The band needs to start planning a lot of carwashes to raise the money for their trip. Maybe we'll have lots of bad weather so they can wash a lot of cars.

Also consider, bake sales, lotteries, and boston butts.

Navarre Trojan
12-06-2004, 11:59 AM
If they were willing to provide sponsorship for the Indy bowl, someone should talk to them about helping with the SOTS... It would certainly be worth the trouble, all they can tell you is NO, and we have already heard that before...

Go Troy

BMarkey
12-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Maybe Troy could pay for half and each band member (parents?) could chip in the rest?

or ...

"Ladies and gentlemen ...Sit back and relax .... Here's the ... er ... Movie Gallery Sound of the South!"

Sarahbelle
12-06-2004, 12:06 PM
Wasn't there an anonymous donor who sent the band somewhere a few years ago? Nebraska maybe?

Hopefully someone will step up and help our SOTS out.

Nice Trojan
12-06-2004, 12:41 PM
I'm not an anonymous donor, but I would be willing to fork over my share to help the band. My share would be if we got 350 alumni together and all forked over $1000 bucks each. That could send the band. Not that everyone has $1000 to fork over when we are all trying to scrap money together to go our selves. But it is an idea. I think that the band deserves to go. They work all season long and hell, they even got us some attention during the MTSU game. Big part in winning that game. This is a reward for the football team, but we could look at it as a total school reward. If I can't give myself the time off work to go, I would be happy to pay for a band member to go. Now all we need is for 350 more to step up and say I will pay for one also.
SEND THE BAND.

sotsmom
12-06-2004, 12:46 PM
You ARE a nice Trojan. As a band parent I would be willing to help with fund raisers, pay a portion of the expense - whatever! The band is an important part of the Troy heritage and deserves the recognition also. GO Trojans and SOTS!

Troydrumr357
12-06-2004, 12:53 PM
[quote="BMarkey"]Maybe Troy could pay for half and each band member (parents?) could chip in the rest?

You have to remember that band members are also students that have to pay a ton of money just to be in school. That is not a possibility at all!

BMarkey
12-06-2004, 01:01 PM
I understand the costs of being in a band. My daughter is in a high school band and we boosters are always fund raising (gift wrapping at the mall, car washes, classic car show and BBQ, slaving in 90-plus-degree heat for four days at the SunFest food court, etc.).

But ... when we run short of funds, the parents antee up. That's just the way it is.

Sarahbelle
12-06-2004, 01:17 PM
What if the band made up some bowl t-shirts? I'm not sure what the initial cost would be but to support the SOTS I'd buy one for everyone in my family.

GuardGirlie
12-06-2004, 01:37 PM
aww ... I didn't realize how supportive the people are of the band (minus the few ignorance).
We work really hard to do a good performance and to recieve such recognition and praises from people is an awesome feeling.

Thanks everyone :D