PDA

View Full Version : pay per view? WHINER - help

graymoon
10-02-2004, 02:22 PM
Outside of the Alabama area, has anyone found a way to order the game on PPV today? Whiner, how do you watch it online? Or is that only for gameplan games?

BMarkey
10-02-2004, 04:14 PM
Calling this an "ESPN+" game is an insult to all Troy fans.

There is no ESPN+! Even ESPN does not seem to acknowledge it. The game is, for same strange reason, not being offered via pay-per-view on ESPN.com or any of the cable/satellite pay-per-view channels.

Honestly, Troy would be better off canceling its contract with ESPN and going back with Fox Sports, Sunshine or whatever! At least then, people in Georgia, Florida and elsewhere who do not have a chance to buy Comcast Cable could see the games!

CSS is a joke in its lack of accessibility. At least I can see Fox Sports, Empire, Sunshine and other channels here in FLA.

I used to watch more Troy games when it was in I-AA, thanks to the smaller networks.

tgrad8384
10-02-2004, 10:42 PM
Today's game was not part of the Troy contract. It was the Sunbelt game of the week.

TrojanHoarse
10-02-2004, 11:16 PM
The game was televised and it was available outside Alabama. I saw it in Louisiana on TV, not even pay-per-view.

BMarkey
10-03-2004, 11:04 AM
Yes, you could see this (and other Troy games) outside of Alabama if you were lucky enough to have Comcast as your cable TV provider. But many, many more people do not have Comcast than have it. Comcast doesn't provide these games to other networks, even in non-competing areas.

So instead of seeing this game in South Florida, I was treated on Sunshine to some karate tourney.

FAU has the same problem. Its games are CSS, but here in FAU's home county, CSS is not available. How stupid!

If this game was not part of the ESPN contract, then why was it listed on the official Troy Web site as an "ESPN+" game?

It bothers me that the "ESPN" status is advertised, apparently to lend importance to the contest, when ESPN has nothing to do with it. At least ESPN could have offered it on its pay-per-view or Web-view package. Then I would have no complaints. :)

Troy would receive much better recognition by moving backward to FoxSports or some other lesser known but easier to receive network.

Hector
10-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Markey, a question. Why couldn't, for example, a cable provider such as yours be convinced to make the game available on your own network, even on a PPV basis? Perhaps you should be asking your own provider to pick up the game.

BMarkey
10-03-2004, 11:36 AM
I have asked that question, and so have fans of FAU.

The answer is, Comcast apparently wants these telecasts exclusively for itself. It will not share them with any other provider, especially the dominant provider down here (Adelphia).

It will also not share them with DirecTV or other satellite providers.

Down here, a local station does pick up some FAU games. But people in oither areas must either have Comcast Cable or be lucky enough to have a local affiliate carry the game.

Interestingly, Comcast does offer a sports channel on DirecTV's system. I bought the sports package last year, later to discover that Comcast's sports channel didn't even carry CSS programming.

Troy needs to branch out past one cable TV company.

tgrad8384
10-03-2004, 02:11 PM
It isn't owned by Comcast. The rights are owned by the Sunbelt Conference, as I understand it. This sounds like a question for WW on Ask the Commish...

BMarkey
10-03-2004, 02:48 PM
I'd like to hear what the Commish says on this matter.

However, CSS is owned by Comcast.