PDA

View Full Version : Quarterback for 2008

ksdtrojan
12-16-2007, 03:36 PM
With Chris Todd changing his mind and heading north, Troy is now looking at R-JR Levi Brown, R-SO Tanner Jones, R-SO Jonathan Chandler, and SO Jamie Hampton to fill the huge shoes of Omar Haugabook in the vacant QB position. I am sure Troy will sign a couple QBs including a JUCO transfer but whether they will be ready to take over this important roll for Troy will be a big question. Anticipation remains strong surrounding Troy with the OC position still yet to be filled and a QB coach yet to be hired. These are the most important decisions that need to be made and will greatly impact who becomes the next QB at Troy.

Who will be the QB for Troy in 2008?

Profiles: (Click Each Name to View)
Brown, Levi (http://www.troytrojans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=87291&SPID=10377&DB_OEM_ID=17200&ATCLID=1147126&Q_SEASON=2007)
Hampton, Jamie (http://www.troytrojans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=87291&SPID=10377&DB_OEM_ID=17200&ATCLID=1147185&Q_SEASON=2007)
Jones, Tanner (http://www.troytrojans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=87291&SPID=10377&DB_OEM_ID=17200&ATCLID=1065077&Q_SEASON=2007)
Chandler, Jonathan (http://www.troytrojans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=87291&SPID=10377&DB_OEM_ID=17200&ATCLID=1065088&Q_SEASON=2007)

troyman20
12-16-2007, 09:22 PM
I said you got to vote for Hampton is the best runner..And we got great WR and he will do fine....He just getting use to the speed of the game. Coming from a 1A high school... HE'S MY MAN!!!

ThePowerMan
12-16-2007, 09:48 PM
What ever we do, I hope an pray we have a back up QB this year. We all held our breathe each time that Omar ran. I bet Tanner Jones is a step ahead of the rest when Spring gets here. (Just a gut feeling). He looked comfortable in those last few games. Who knows though.....we might find another "Omar" out there that nobody has on there wish list.

troyman20
12-16-2007, 10:16 PM
The better Omar ran the bigger passing yards he had. So i think Hampton will step in and do it!! Omar was about 90% of the O if jones is the qb the D we rush him and it will be ugly....Hampton able to run the ball we may be saiding who was Omar? I HOPE!!

ThePowerMan
12-16-2007, 10:25 PM
Either way. I just thought TJ looked like he didn't have stars in his eyes the last few times they were in the game. I am not saying Hampton won't be the guy when Spring comes. I would just about say that we will be looking at #1 and #2 guys (either order) in those two.

troyman20
12-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Yea i think Flordia won it all with two qbs...

Scoots71
12-16-2007, 11:05 PM
I definately think it is between Jones and Hampton. They both showed flashes of good and evil during the season. I think Hampton has the edge because he is more mobile, which is a necessity since we will still be using the spread offense. If Hampton can stay at the level he was at the end of the Middle game, then he will be the QB next year.

jt45
12-16-2007, 11:23 PM
Tyre quit the team like 6 months ago.

ksdtrojan
12-17-2007, 12:02 AM
Tyre quit the team like 6 months ago.
I knew that! Brain fart, can you smell it?

BTW, poll corrected with Jed taken off.

Trojan 6 pack
12-17-2007, 11:42 PM
Tanner Jones did a much better job as a back up this past year than Hampton. He seemed more poised and we think that he will come into the Spring determined to WIN the starting position. The only thing that will stop Tanner from winning the position is another stud JUCO coming in......and he might just beat him out also.

ksdtrojan
12-18-2007, 07:24 AM
Tanner Jones did a much better job as a back up this past year than Hampton. He seemed more poised and we think that he will come into the Spring determined to WIN the starting position. The only thing that will stop Tanner from winning the position is another stud JUCO coming in......and he might just beat him out also.
Tanner was my vote as well. I am like you that the only way he doesn't get the nod is if a JUCO comes in but I do wonder about Levi Brown and his potential. He looked really good last spring. I actually see Jamie Hampton redshirting this year if possible.

Discophobia
12-18-2007, 10:02 AM
I am with you and think that Hampton will red shirt. I think he needs to bulk up some. He needs to build a little strength, he can throw it a mile, but imagine if he bulks up to get that complete running/throwing build. I am curious to see Brown. I thought Tanner looked the better of the two when he came into the game, he handled the pressure really well. Any word on the Kentucky kid with the TD record? What about the Califorinia QB recruiting trip?

TU/JSU Fan
12-18-2007, 10:09 AM
The more I think about it the more I think I want to see Levi Brown play... He has size, speed, has had a year in the system learning and if he went to Richmond then he has the smarts (you have to be smart to get into Richmond).

I think he very well could be 'the next big thing' here in Troy. I am not so convinced that Chris Todd was the savior of Troy Football... I think he would have been fine, but lets just go ahead and understand that he (nor any of our QBs) is Omar. Omar was a true star and he will impossible to 'replace', but I think we will be fine. I don't think we will have a year like 2005 where our QB was the detriment of the team. I think that in the Spring someone will come out and be 'the' QB and we will not have to worry about rotating every game like 05...

The Messenger
12-18-2007, 10:27 AM
I thought Jamie was the runner too until Tanner got put in during the MTSU game. He showed a lot of speed that a lot of people, including myself, didn't know he had. However, I think both have a lot of potential and I think their mistakes were due to youth and inexperience.

ugatrojan
12-18-2007, 11:54 AM
The more I think about it the more I think I want to see Levi Brown play... He has size, speed, has had a year in the system learning and if he went to Richmond then he has the smarts (you have to be smart to get into Richmond).

I think he very well could be 'the next big thing' here in Troy. I am not so convinced that Chris Todd was the savior of Troy Football... I think he would have been fine, but lets just go ahead and understand that he (nor any of our QBs) is Omar. Omar was a true star and he will impossible to 'replace', but I think we will be fine. I don't think we will have a year like 2005 where our QB was the detriment of the team. I think that in the Spring someone will come out and be 'the' QB and we will not have to worry about rotating every game like 05...

I agree! I don't think Todd was going to be the future of Troy at all. He couldn't cut it at Texas Tech, so ther is good reason to believe he would'nt cut it here.

socrgoly25
12-18-2007, 12:10 PM
I agree! I don't think Todd was going to be the future of Troy at all. He couldn't cut it at Texas Tech, so ther is good reason to believe he would'nt cut it here.

That's reaching a bit isn't it? He was going to be behind Graham Harrell until his senior year. He just wanted to play. Some actually believed that he had better skill than Harrell in many areas. To say he couldn't cut it at TT is a little unfair.

On that note, I hope he gets to ride the bench at Auburn so he can see what great a choice it was to follow Franklin there.

Pcbtrojan
12-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Spring Ball will tell. In practice from what I've heard the starter gets around 70% of the reps with the starting unit so that should been the issue with the back ups this past season. They seemed to be alot sharper after the FIU game. I am definately coming to a scrimage this year to see Levi Brown. Didn't he get some scrimages in last spring. I thought he enrolled last spring from Richmond.

NWFLTrojan
12-18-2007, 06:30 PM
I saw Levi get some reps during the spring game last year. I was impressed with his arm strength. He threw one to a crossing pattern across the middle which was very impressive. He should be able to take the reigns if needed.

troyrx
12-19-2007, 06:34 AM
I think with hampton speed and size it will be his to lose..

Discophobia
12-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Hampton needs to bulk up some. He has the height but he needs to work on his build.

Discophobia
12-19-2007, 09:24 AM
My Money is on Levi Brown v. Tanner Jones.

TrojanEmpire
12-19-2007, 01:36 PM
My Money is on Levi Brown v. Tanner Jones.

Is Sim Byrd available?

Discophobia
12-19-2007, 02:40 PM
After seeing him at homecoming, he looked more like he might could play on the offensive line rather than at QB!