PDA

View Full Version : Valdosta St. Head Coach

EMPIRETROY
12-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Ok Valdosta State just won the National Championship. I dont know who the head coach is at Valdosta State but I do know its his first year and he is the Offensive coordinator as well. I think we should get him to come to Troy. Valdosta State runs the same kind of spread offence Troy does!

troy4ever
12-15-2007, 03:58 PM
I don't know that we should do that. Yeah, they may run the spread, but he's a division II coach. While he may have success running the spread, he's coaching against division II defenses.

trojanbrutha
12-15-2007, 04:09 PM
I don't know that we should do that. Yeah, they may run the spread, but he's a division II coach. While he may have success running the spread, he's coaching against division II defenses.

but, what is the difference between bringin' up a coach from high school or a lesser division of college football? If a good coach has a proven philosophy, does it matter the division? Didn't LB coach down there before?

Just askin...because I'm cool with the staff we already have...and I think all we'll need is a QB coach...

EMPIRETROY
12-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Well you dont see LB and the rest of the staff getting up into the top 25 either!

trojanbrutha
12-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Well you dont see LB and the rest of the staff getting up into the top 25 either!

After the past 2 seasons, with some stability after the spring, Troy is a top 25capable team. The offense was, statistically, ranked in a few categories in the top 25 at the end of the season, as were a few of the defensive stats. That, to me, is a good beginning...that's not to say that anyone has to look at it the same way as I do, just my 2 cents...

pelliott
12-15-2007, 04:26 PM
I say we go after Hatch - He was a Vald. State - left for Georgia Southern University - started the spread at Vald. State and had great success - he was quarterback at Vald. State when Troy was in Gulf South Conference - great player - great coach - young and can take over for LB just like Jimbo Fisher will for Bobby Bowden

MTPiKapp
12-15-2007, 05:46 PM
FWIW- MT's OC was a DIII head coach before coming to MT...

Prior to his arrival at MT, Mangus took the Delaware Valley program over in May of 2002, went 2-8 in his rookie campaign, and turned the team into an NCAA Division III championship contender during his four seasons. Since 2002, Delaware Valley notched a 33-4 record, won three conference championships (ECAC in 2003, MAC in 2004 and 2005), reached the 2004 NCAA quarterfinals in the school's first-ever trip to the national playoffs in a team-qualifying sport, and followed that up with another quarterfinal appearance in 2005.

In 2004 and 2005, Mangus led the Aggies to perfect back-to-back regular season records and the team's first overall Middle Atlantic Conference championship for an automatic bid to the NCAA postseason in 2004. The 2005 squad also earned a MAC title and advanced to the NCAA playoffs. Delaware Valley hosted and won their first two playoff games in 2004 and 2005 before falling in the quarterfinals and finishing with a 12-1 record each year.

He is a young exciting coach, and very friendly. I've waited on him several times, as well as once by chance had the opportunity to have dinner with him and his wife at a hibachi grill. He really knows his stuff and is one of the most genuine coach's I've ever met. I don't know if David Dean or Chris Hatcher are even on the list, but I wouldn't look past them simply because they are 1aa or DII.

TU/JSU Fan
12-15-2007, 06:28 PM
I would imagine that Chris Hatcher makes a lot more money as the Head Coach at GSU than he would as our OC.

He is also up for several head coaching jobs if you take a look at the Coaching Changes article on Rivals... He more than likely would not accept anything right now other than a head coaching job at a bigger school or at the very least an OC job at an ACC or SEC job. He is bigger than the SBC for an OC job.

I think LB has pretty much said the OC would come from the staff and he would hire a replacement for their job. I don't see any 'big' hire here..

TrojanGranger
12-15-2007, 08:21 PM

That is the exact same way many Auburn fans think about Tony Franklin. "He only wins against Sun Belt teams." Coach Blakeney knows how to pick winners. He'll get a good one.

HideintheHorse
12-15-2007, 08:30 PM
I would imagine that Chris Hatcher makes a lot more money as the Head Coach at GSU than he would as our OC.

From what I've read, he makes as much as LB.