PDA

View Full Version : Troy to the Big East?

ugatrojan
12-13-2007, 04:36 PM
I keep hearing this as a rumor.... Can anybody shed light on the possibilities of this happening?

Bud
12-13-2007, 04:51 PM
might I ask where you are hearing these rumors from??? I just don't see us making that jump anytime soon. They (NCAA) just went through a big confrence swap a few years ago.

btrojan
12-13-2007, 04:54 PM
I doubt the Big East is in our near future but I would like to see something done to move to a better conference. Basketball arena would probably hurt many chances

ugatrojan
12-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Actually, I'm hearing it from some buddies at WVU. They are telling me that the Big East is looking to add two teams, and right now Troy is hot on their list. I can see it happening within 5 years.

O2MAN
12-13-2007, 04:57 PM
In 5 years I could see it happening, we will have our arena by then.

dchi1890
12-13-2007, 05:00 PM
I hope that happens!!!!!

TSUWhiner
12-13-2007, 05:05 PM
anything would be a step up from the crappy conference we are in..can you guys imagine us playing for the big east championship ...like against Miami..lets get revenge on them..man I love our future..I hope this is true!!

GO TROY!

Whiner

The Messenger
12-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Um...Miami left the Big East years ago. But anyway, this would be cool if it ever happened. I enjoy watching the Big East teams. And it's funny because all the other BCS conferences rag on the Big East for being "weak" while at the same time getting beaten by those same teams (cough SEC cough).

TSUWhiner
12-13-2007, 05:08 PM
take out Miami and insert a "big east" team LOL my bad!

Whiner

Ace
12-13-2007, 05:16 PM
There were officials from the Big East and Conference USA at the Troy-FAU game, for what it's worth.

troy4ever
12-13-2007, 05:50 PM
How do you know there were officials from both of those conferences at the Troy-FAU game?

Discophobia
12-13-2007, 06:01 PM
They were the ones wearing shirts that said Big East and Conference USA.

troy4ever
12-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Where were they at?

Discophobia
12-13-2007, 06:18 PM
The shirts were on their upper torso.

TU94
12-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Now that was funny!

troy4ever
12-13-2007, 06:42 PM
haha...everyone's a comedian.

Discophobia
12-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Thank you, I'll be here all week. Be sure to tip your waitress, oh by the way I just flew in from the coast and boy are my arms tired!

troy4ever
12-13-2007, 06:57 PM
LOL...you win the Oscar for Lack of Originality!

Discophobia
12-13-2007, 07:00 PM
You sound like my wife! Oh, by the way take my wife please! No seriously take my wife!

Hemi Man
12-13-2007, 07:26 PM

That was a good one.

TroyFirst
12-13-2007, 07:50 PM
We sure could use some good news, even if it involves wishful thinking.

Troy would grow nicely into the Big East and I'm sure the university would immediately ink a deal for an arena in exchange for a BE bid. I heard that Troy officials just started meeting with the arena consultant and are in the early process of deciding on a size and amenities, as well as a site.

But, the only rumors I heard about the Big East involved Florida teams, and they were just talk.

BTW .... Try the veal!

Paul of Troy
12-13-2007, 08:41 PM

Hilarious...

btrojan
12-13-2007, 09:18 PM
It would be great is the Big east or Conf USA was at the TROY - FAU game seeing how the Sunbelt Commish was too busy to attend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TUrocks
12-13-2007, 09:27 PM
nm...

sorry, meant to post in new thread.

deepwater trojan
12-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Troy has the opportunity next year to shock the world as Appalachian State did this year we play LSU and Ohio State the two teams in the BCS title game this year. Even though TF is gone we know his system now and can carry on with the coaches we have and never skip a beat. If we pull off the upset the Big East & C-USA will take a long hard look at us for sure as will the rest of the world of football. The Trojan nation is on the rise we just need to keep doing what we are doing and it will all come in due to time LB and the Trojans!!

Ace
12-13-2007, 11:05 PM
How do you know there were officials from both of those conferences at the Troy-FAU game?

Because I saw them there in the box. :-)

ugatrojan
12-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Troy has the opportunity next year to shock the world as Appalachian State did this year we play LSU and Ohio State the two teams in the BCS title game this year. Even though TF is gone we know his system now and can carry on with the coaches we have and never skip a beat. If we pull off the upset the Big East & C-USA will take a long hard look at us for sure as will the rest of the world of football. The Trojan nation is on the rise we just need to keep doing what we are doing and it will all come in due to time LB and the Trojans!!

I would love to see them shock the Ohio State U! LSU would be great, but nothing would be better than beating up on the overrated conference that can't count to 11.

TrojanWarrior418
12-14-2007, 12:48 AM
It seems a bit far fetched at this point to go to the Big East. Realistically I can picture us going to CUSA before the Big East. Not ruling out the chance that we could go. But whether it be CUSA, the Big East, the MAC, WAC, SWAC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 10, SEC, or even independent anywhere is better than the Sun Belt.

Here's hoping: Troy in the Big East by 2015.

TU/JSU Fan
12-14-2007, 08:18 AM
umm... if we beat LSU or Ohio State next year I highly doubt the Big East will come calling instantly...

Some people on here really crack me up...

Discophobia
12-14-2007, 11:07 AM
whether it be CUSA, the Big East, the MAC, WAC, SWAC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 10, SEC, or even independent anywhere is better than the Sun Belt.

You are right on the money brother! I hate the Belt and in a perfect world we could leave for greener pastures. The most realistic move would by CUSA, but if you are gonna dream, dream big!

TU/JSU Fan
12-14-2007, 11:17 AM
I hardly think the independants would be a step up from the Sunbelt..

troyfan
12-14-2007, 11:17 AM
I think anything other thatn a BCS conference would just ba a lateral move. Why move laterally after we have worked so hard to make a name for ourselves at the mid major level. I have no doubt that when the next big conference realignment comes up Troy will be in a BCS conference.

Blazer85
12-14-2007, 11:20 AM
First of all, the Big East expanding at the moment is not likely. Near future, however, is possible. The top tier of names I have heard mentioned most frequently by both sportswriters and BE fans are Notre Dame (football--already BE basketball school), Memphis, ECU, and UCF. Less frequently, I've heard mention of USM, Navy, and (hard as it may be to believe for you folks) UAB. The first mention of Troy pertaining to the Big East I've ever seen is on this board. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's doubtful. Troy's football is the strength of your athletics at the moment (which is good). But all of the teams I've mentioned that have been discussed (with the exception of UAB on some years), have higher attendance... some of which by a significant margin.

Big East for Troy in the next 5 years? Highly unlikely. And just because I know some of you will ask or suggest it since I'm a UAB fan, I'd say it's highly unlikely UAB is in the BE in 5 years either. However, as you'll see in my list, a very large number of the schools being considered are CUSA schools. So if some CUSA schools departed, Troy would likely be high on the list for CUSA (unless CUSA chooses to pursue their ever-westward movement of the geographic footprint).

TU/JSU Fan
12-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Troy in a BCS Conference....

I still wonder what in the world Troy has to offer a BCS Conference? I am sorry.. This isn't my 'love for JSU' or anything so don't get started on that... Just honestly.. What in the world does Troy have to offer a BCS conference? Facilities are not that great... Football is our best sport and unfortunately we can't even win our own conference consistantly. We don't pay our coaches enough to keep them from jumping ship to BCS conferences, and academic wise we have a few masters degree and are starting to work on 1 (ONE) Doctorate Degree.

Media markets? Nope.. Nothing really added there either. I don't get it..

take off the cardinal colored glasses for a moment and realize that we are Troy... We have never been in the top 25 in Football.. Never been in the top 25 in Basketball.. We have been in baseball, but that is it. We have beaten 3 BCS conference teams in football (2 at home) and have made the Basketball tournament 1 time. We have been to 2 bowl games and we average 20,000 fans at football games. We average less than 2,000 fans at basketball games and probably 400 at women's basketball games.

We have a good baseball team... We have a good football team.. We have a 'good' just about every team, but to be considered for something like the Big East you have to be more than good. We have yet to win the "bubba's cup" or whatever in the SBC. I just don't see the Big east honestly caring about Troy...

Would I like to leave the Sunbelt? Sure... But lets be realistic and go somewhere that is mroe our range and aim for the CUSA.

YJason
12-14-2007, 11:34 AM
I will have to agree with everything stated above. I will add one thing...at one time I subscribed to the anything other than BCS was a lateral move, until we got left out in the cold with an 8-4 record. Now thinking about it more, I have come to the relization that we must get into CUSA. Not only for the increased bowl tie-ins, but more $, better name recognition, and I am not sure if we ran the table and were still in the SBC we still might not get a BCS game (Hawaii was close this year).

FoulPolePhenom
12-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Troy in a BCS Conference....

I still wonder what in the world Troy has to offer a BCS Conference? I am sorry.. This isn't my 'love for JSU' or anything so don't get started on that... Just honestly.. What in the world does Troy have to offer a BCS conference? Facilities are not that great... Football is our best sport and unfortunately we can't even win our own conference consistantly. We don't pay our coaches enough to keep them from jumping ship to BCS conferences, and academic wise we have a few masters degree and are starting to work on 1 (ONE) Doctorate Degree.

Media markets? Nope.. Nothing really added there either. I don't get it..

take off the cardinal colored glasses for a moment and realize that we are Troy... We have never been in the top 25 in Football.. Never been in the top 25 in Basketball.. We have been in baseball, but that is it. We have beaten 3 BCS conference teams in football (2 at home) and have made the Basketball tournament 1 time. We have been to 2 bowl games and we average 20,000 fans at football games. We average less than 2,000 fans at basketball games and probably 400 at women's basketball games.

We have a good baseball team... We have a good football team.. We have a 'good' just about every team, but to be considered for something like the Big East you have to be more than good. We have yet to win the "bubba's cup" or whatever in the SBC. I just don't see the Big east honestly caring about Troy...

Would I like to leave the Sunbelt? Sure... But lets be realistic and go somewhere that is mroe our range and aim for the CUSA.

Disagree with one point. Troy would dominate the big east in baseball. It is not a very good baseball conference. But that may be it

Discophobia
12-14-2007, 11:44 AM
I dont see CUSA as a latteral move. I have always thought that one of the things that hurts us, attendance, respect etc. is the teams we play from the Sun Belt. Are your fans we are trying to win away from Aubie and Bamer and your casual Troy fan going to get more excited and more likely to come see a game at the Gallery against Southern Miss or a game against FIU. The belt got off to a bad start and it will never fully recover in the minds of football fans, writers etc. CUSA has been down the last couple of years, but it is a better Conference and if our eventual goal is to get into a BCS conference. CUSA would be a good first step on the ladder upward, the Belt does nothing but keep us on the ground.

cheapguy2006
12-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Why don;t we win the sunbelt title...OUTRIGHT before we start *****ing about it? We can't even do that so we have no room to say "we're too good for the Belt"

Do we need more bowl tie-ins? yes. But the Belt is a perfect fit for us right now.

Discophobia
12-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Why don;t we win the sunbelt title...OUTRIGHT before we start *****ing about it? We can't even do that so we have no room to say "we're too good for the Belt".

If everyone used that theory then no teams would ever switch conferences. Just becuase a team didnt win their conference outright doesnt mean that moving to a better conference wouldnt make sense. With the team we had this year we could have played head to head with any team in CUSA and garnered more respect and gotten a bowl bid, even if we finished 6th in the Conference. With the Belt we beat our opponents get no respect and sit at home for the holidays. The Belt blows.

TU/JSU Fan
12-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Notre Dame is good in Baseball, but that is about it.. You are probably right FoulPole.. We would probably have a good run in the BE in baseball.. Rutgers was also ranked, but other than those two you don't have many other good teams... I had not thought about that..

Cold Weather baseball isn't typically very good. Most of your great college baseball teams are in warm climates (with the exception of Oregon State - how in the world they have done it is beyond me).

O2MAN
12-14-2007, 12:12 PM
I for one do not see the Big East as a real "BCS conference". They have it now, but I think they should be dirt diggers like the rest of us.

Discophobia
12-14-2007, 12:14 PM
It is strange to see Rutgers, Cincinnati, UConn considered major players in College football.

42kdad
12-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Why don;t we win the sunbelt title...OUTRIGHT before we start *****ing about it? We can't even do that so we have no room to say "we're too good for the Belt"

Do we need more bowl tie-ins? yes. But the Belt is a perfect fit for us right now.

Earlier in the year, I was on the "get us out of the SBC " bandwagon. Now my thinking has changed to winning the SBC 2-3 yrs in a row and then moving to CUSA if we get the opportunity. Baby steps...

cheapguy2006
12-14-2007, 12:41 PM
If everyone used that theory then no teams would ever switch conferences. Just becuase a team didnt win their conference outright doesnt mean that moving to a better conference wouldnt make sense. With the team we had this year we could have played head to head with any team in CUSA and garnered more respect and gotten a bowl bid, even if we finished 6th in the Conference. With the Belt we beat our opponents get no respect and sit at home for the holidays. The Belt blows.

When you cant win the sunbelt, how can you get even a little respect?

Discophobia
12-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah, when we are in the SUNBELT. An 8-4 Houston team that didnt win CUSA and is going bowling got a hell of a lot more respect than any 8-4 team from the BELT ever could and ever will.

Discophobia
12-14-2007, 01:06 PM
BOWL SCHEDULE FOR CUSA
Friday, December 21
R+L CARRIERS NEW ORLEANS BOWL 7:00 p.m.
(ESPN2)
Memphis vs. Florida Atlantic
Saturday, December 22
PAPAJOHNS.COM BOWL (ESPN2) 12:00 p.m.
Southern Miss vs. (20) Cincinnati
Sunday, December 23
SHERATON HAWAI’I BOWL (ESPN) 7:00 p.m.
East Carolina vs. (22) Boise State
Friday, December 28
TEXAS BOWL (NFL NETWORK) 7:00 p.m.
Houston vs. TCU
Saturday, December 29
AUTOZONE LIBERTY BOWL (ESPN) 3:30 p.m.
UCF vs. Mississippi State
Sunday, January 6
GMAC BOWL (ESPN) 7:00 p.m.
Tulsa vs. Bowling Green

BOWL SCHEDULE FOR SUNBELT
R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl
Memphis vs. Florida Atlantic New Orleans Dec. 21, 8 p.m. ESPN2 HD

THIS SAYS IT ALL!

deepwater trojan
12-14-2007, 01:34 PM
With our up coming facilities upgrades on the baseball complex to be completed soon and the North end zone to be closed in by 2010 to bring capacity up 40,000 or so and the talk of a new Arena for basket ball the move to a bigger and better conference could happen between the 2010 to 2012 mark If we can keep the level of play on the field where it is now.

NWFLTrojan
12-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Are the plans to close in the north end zone still in the works?

I would think that those plans could be on hold for a while until we actually need the seats. It's not like we are having standing room only crowds right now.

That money is better spent on the basketball arena.

Troy91
12-14-2007, 01:41 PM
I agree...no sense in adding more empty seats....

FHBrian
12-14-2007, 01:47 PM
I agree...no sense in adding more empty seats....

As much as I hate it I agree, but would a larger stadium make us more attractive to another conference?

YJason
12-14-2007, 03:57 PM
I have heard rumblings of this, but no hard dates. I believe their main reason was to add more boxes...the rental of the boxes alone will pay for the expansion, as well as make us more attractive.

FHBrian
12-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Yeah they have upped the price of the boxes at least once and there is a waiting list so why not. Especially if the box income would pay for the expansion. Get the money while you can.

ksdtrojan
12-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Yeah and then we could cover the empty seats with section covers that say Trojans or Troy Univeristy.

Trojan1998
12-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Are the plans to close in the north end zone still in the works?

I would think that those plans could be on hold for a while until we actually need the seats. It's not like we are having standing room only crowds right now.

That money is better spent on the basketball arena.

An expansion in seating to Movie Gallery Stadium is not currently in the works. The next project for the football stadium will be building a new fieldhouse in the open endzone (like Mississippi State has at Davis-Wade Stadium in Starkville).

tntrojan
12-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Are they gonna put some sort of luxury suites in the new field house similar to MSU too?

playfailstoogain
12-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Are they gonna put some sort of luxury suites in the new field house similar to MSU too?

That is the plan I believe.

MTPiKapp
12-15-2007, 12:36 PM
There year that I've heard mentioned countless times in conection to the conference re-alignment is 2009. I'm not sure if that means in the spring of 2009 after the 2008 season, or actually in the spring of 2010 after the 2009 season. Either way that means we all have at least 1 more season where we are currently.

As far as the Big East goes, before they add anyone, they'll have to drop their non-football schools. They already have 16 schools in basketball, there's no way that they go to 19(if ND were to add football)or 20. I've heard that there was talks that they would split off the basketball only schools and add 4 more schools, or 3 more if ND signs on for football. My only question about that is, what happens to the basketball schools? Assuming that ND adds football, you'd be talking about 7 schools and while it would be 7 very strong basketball schools, Nova, Marquette, Depaul, St John's, Georgetown, Seton Hall and Providence. Where do they go from there? I guess that would start a shuffle among the basketball leagues, I would think that the CAA, Atlantic 10, and Missouri Valley would be a logical site for them to raid, adding 3 or 5 of the following ODU, VCU, GMU, JMU, Rhode Island, Xavier among many more.

Another problem with this scenario is that recently the Big East announced they'll be inviting all 16 teams to their conference championship tournament. Not that it would really matter if it came time to shuffle and they decided to do the split, but on the surface at least, it appears they are committed to 16 schools in basketball.

The other obvious rumor is the C-USA/Sunbelt shake up. I think we're all really hoping that this one happens. We all have Big East dreams, but the C-USA/Belt shake up would be really good for everyone. If we could split the bowl ties it would be even better. The Belt has proven it is too good for just one bowl tie and C-USA has proven that it is not good enough for the (I believe)5 ties that it has. Make the split happen, each conference take 3 bowl ties and be done with it. Everyone would be better for it.

TU/JSU Fan
12-15-2007, 01:50 PM
I find this funny..

"If ND adds football"...

I know they are bad and all, but they do in fact have one of the oldest football teams in the country!

----

I know what you meant though (If ND decides to join the BE as a football playing member..

TU/JSU Fan
12-15-2007, 01:52 PM
I hardly think that the CUSA has proven they aren't good enough for 6 tie ins.. Considering one of their last bowl teams goes to the New Orleans bowl and other than 2 times they have beaten the Sunbelt's Champ.. I hardly think that proves they are so bad that they don't deserve bowl bids..

TroyFirst
12-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Troy, FAU and maybe even Ark. State would have placed in the top part of CUSA this year. It is poor and worthy of three bowls, tops.

ThePowerMan
12-15-2007, 04:25 PM
I see the BCS amking each conference to have a championship game very soon. This requires 12 teams to do this. From there I see the field moved into to BCS Bowl games with the top four teams playing for a BCS Championship game. This is very close. There have been too many grumblings about the conferences that don't have that extra conference championship game. The Big EAST will have to make some decisions.

pelliott
12-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Not gonna happen - not enought fannies in seats in football - nor basketball
I hate to admit it - but UAB is more likely to move up than Troy

If Troy wants to move up - we better all open our checkbooks and pay people to show up for football and basketball especially and pay our coaches much more

Conference USA is a better fit for us - but I would rather see us in the Big East

TU/JSU Fan
12-15-2007, 06:32 PM
I am all for thinking big, but there is no way the Big East takes Troy over some of the schools already out there. I agree it is pretty dang amazing what we have done in such a short amount of time, but we lack so much in comparison to other schools like facilities, etc...

TrojanEmpire
12-15-2007, 06:33 PM
I am all for thinking big, but there is no way the Big East takes Troy over some of the schools already out there. I agree it is pretty dang amazing what we have done in such a short amount of time, but we lack so much in comparison to other schools like facilities, etc...

cough cough Trojan Arena cough cough

TroyFirst
12-15-2007, 11:52 PM
Except for the arena, what do the Big East schools have that are so much better?

Some don't even have football stadiums.

TU/JSU Fan
12-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Other than USF who doesn't have a football stadium?

Hemi Man
12-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Pittsburgh plays at Heinz Field. They share it with the Steelers.

MTPiKapp
12-18-2007, 07:09 PM
I have no doubt that when the next big conference realignment comes up Troy will be in a BCS conference.

Can I get some of that action? I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but the odds are much higher that it doesn't. Take off the Cardinal glasses before making statements that include "I have no doubt".

ugatrojan
12-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Other than USF who doesn't have a football stadium?

UCF plays in a city owned stadium. Also the home of the Capital One Bowl.

Scoots71
12-18-2007, 09:57 PM
UCF plays in a city owned stadium. Also the home of the Capital One Bowl.

Au Contraire. They opened a new stadium this year.

TU/JSU Fan
12-19-2007, 06:39 AM
Last time I checked UCF wasn't in the Big East anyway...