PDA

View Full Version : "Even Worse"??

Troy91
12-13-2007, 04:28 PM
AUBURN, Ala. (AP) Auburn hired Troy offensive coordinator Tony Franklin on Wednesday to run the Tigers' offense.
Franklin, who will also coach quarterbacks, spent the past two seasons running a no-huddle, spread offense at Troy. He is also is a former Kentucky offensive coordinator.

"Tony has had a tremendous amount of success offensively in the Southeastern Conference and during his most recent position at Troy," Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said. "He teaches an exciting brand of offense that has posted some very impressive numbers, statistically."

Franklin replaces Al Borges, whose resignation was announced on Tuesday, and will at least help coach the offense in the Chick-fil-A Bowl Dec. 31 against Clemson. Franklin said he wasn't sure who would call the plays in the bowl game.

"I just want to be there and kind of watch and get a head-start on evaluating the talent for this spring," Franklin said. "If I've got a suggestion of something we could do, maybe a little wrinkle or something, that would be good."

The Tigers finished 101st in total offense out of 119 major college teams this season, averaging 328 yards per game. They have produced star running backs such as Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown and Rudi Johnson in recent seasons, but the passing attack has been sporadic.

Troy's offense was even worse before Franklin's arrival. The Trojans hadn't ranked better than 111th nationally in total offense in the previous four seasons. They ranked 17th in total offense last season, averaging 453 yards per game.

Troy quarterback Omar Haugabook was the Sun Belt Conference offensive player of the year in both seasons under Franklin.

troy1
12-13-2007, 05:26 PM
I think the writer meant that Troy's O was "even worse" than Auburns O...111th for Troy then vs. 101st for Auburn now.

Troy91
12-13-2007, 05:28 PM
Oh, I got it...

tntrojan
12-13-2007, 06:47 PM
I give a lot of credit to Franklin for changing our offensive fortunes, but one thing we seem to be forgetting in this "sky is falling" attitude: Franklin neither threw nor caught the ball. As long as LB keeps the players coming in who can run the system, we'll be fine.
Go Trojans.

Burn the Horse
12-14-2007, 09:36 AM
thats where the problem lies, it was Franklin bringing in the recruits. I think that is most evident in Chris Todd. Franklin developed contacts in south florida, i just hope larry can keep those contacts and keep the recruits interested. not as easy to recruit players to run an offense when the man who runs the offense is gone.

FoulPolePhenom
12-14-2007, 09:54 AM
contacts in south florida? where did you get that from?

BMarkey
12-14-2007, 01:23 PM
If Troy has a weak recruiting area, it is South Florida. The staff needs to pay more attention here.

OwlFamily
12-14-2007, 01:32 PM
I acutally thought they had some inroads down here?

Omar was from Pahokee and I seem to recall that quite a few of the FAU guys were looking forward to playing friends at the Troy game?

Can someone list the current roster for you guys of Folks from Florida? I think you have more then you realized.

FoulPolePhenom
12-14-2007, 01:40 PM
But the majority of players we have from South Florida(Omar and others) came from Junior Colleges. So the players weren't recruited down in south Florida they were recruited from their colleges. Omar came from Kansas and that's where the coaches went to recruit him, not south Florida.

BMarkey
12-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Troy has had some Miami area guys, and Omar is from the Belle Glade area and went to Glades Central High (5A or 6A). Pahokee is the next "town" over and both it and Glades challenge for state titles every year. These are small (even by Troy standards) sugar cane and vegetable farming communities on the east and southeast shores of Lake Okeechobee. Many residents there drive the 30-plus miles east into my town (Royal Palm Beach, 15 miles west of the east coast) just to enjoy decent supermarkets, Wal-Mart and such.

Pahokee has won the 2A title for two straight years and its coach just said that several I-A caliber players are unsigned and falling through the cracks, including his QB.

Troy had a good RB out of there a few years ago until he got caught up in that shooting incident.

Whenever the local papers publish lists of players and their chosen schools, Troy is nowhere to be found, or only mentioned once. Yet, I see West Virginia, Marshall, MTSU, many I-A programs, FAU, FIU, UCF, USF, Rutgers, Pittsburgh, CUSA schools, East Carolina, and even the SunBelt Louisianas mentioned all over the place. I think La.-Mo, has a ton of kids from this area.

Troy seems to have found players like Omar by way of their jucos, rather than their home town schools.

I have knowledge of some good prospects, should any Troy people want to contact me for names and info.

OwlFamily
12-14-2007, 02:02 PM
I have knowledge of some good prospects, should any Troy people want to contact me for names and info.

Hey now BM,

Youre gonna make me all frustrated giving out FAU's fertile recuriting ground information. I think you should pass all that juicy info to DM who can go visit Howard for those inside tips.

;)

BMarkey
12-14-2007, 02:06 PM
As Howard has said many times, there are plenty of I-A prospects to go around.

Shallow_Hal
12-14-2007, 02:12 PM
doesn't troy have more florida players than any school outside of florida? if not #1 they are in the top 3.

we can't worry about Todd, he isn't a Trojan. If he signs, then he is one of us. The thing he needs to look at is that Troy lives and dies with Juco talent. The big boys do not. Take Josh Dew, Omar, Ben Fletcher, Adam Godwin, Derrick Davis, Henri Gutierrez, Bobby Dixon, and the many others are examples of kids who could play anywhere but came to Troy because there minutes to played here. Tubs, Saban, Gottfried, or other coaches don't make their living on banking on Juco guys.

btdt
12-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Troy has had some Miami area guys, and Omar is from the Belle Glade area and went to Glades Central High (5A or 6A). Pahokee is the next "town" over and both it and Glades challenge for state titles every year. These are small (even by Troy standards) sugar cane and vegetable farming communities on the east and southeast shores of Lake Okeechobee. Many residents there drive the 30-plus miles east into my town (Royal Palm Beach, 15 miles west of the east coast) just to enjoy decent supermarkets, Wal-Mart and such.

Pahokee has won the 2A title for two straight years and its coach just said that several I-A caliber players are unsigned and falling through the cracks, including his QB.

Troy had a good RB out of there a few years ago until he got caught up in that shooting incident.

Whenever the local papers publish lists of players and their chosen schools, Troy is nowhere to be found, or only mentioned once. Yet, I see West Virginia, Marshall, MTSU, many I-A programs, FAU, FIU, UCF, USF, Rutgers, Pittsburgh, CUSA schools, East Carolina, and even the SunBelt Louisianas mentioned all over the place. I think La.-Mo, has a ton of kids from this area.

Troy seems to have found players like Omar by way of their jucos, rather than their home town schools.

Yea, what amazes me about this area is the amount of quailty players it produces year end and out. Visited relatives in Clewiston(other side of the lake) for the first time recently, and it was a real shock to say the least. A really deprived area.(not the florida you see on TV.) Guess all there is to do is football.

BMarkey
12-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Clewiston is at the dead bottom of the big lake, and believe it or not, the largest town in the area. It has similarities to Troy - for example, a small daily newspaper.

It is the jewel in an area that can make Alabama look urban. Yet, it's only an hour west of the West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale areas.

It's at least got shopping, great recreation (in Lake Okeechobee and the Okeechobee Waterway, hafway between Stuart on the east coast and Fort Myers on the west coast) and some employment. It is the home to U.S. Sugar Corp.

Troy could do well to assign one coach recruiting duties just for South Florida.