PDA

View Full Version : News-Enterprise: Franklin's change has Todd thinking about future

Trojan2003
12-13-2007, 03:06 PM
The News-Enterprise

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: Franklin's change has Todd thinking about future
By JOSH CLAYWELL

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 10:52 PM CST

-> http://www.newsenterpriseonline.com/articles/2007/12/13/sports/sports02.txt

AUBURN, Ala. — Former Elizabethtown High School quarterback Chris Todd could be on the move again n but at least he won’t have to change states this time.

Todd, who quarterbacked the Panthers to the Class 2-A state title game in 2003, verbally committed in November to Troy University and offensive coordinator Tony Franklin. But now that Franklin has been named to the same position at Auburn, the former Elizabethtown star may be rethinking his future.

And that may include Todd wearing the blue-and-orange of the Tigers instead of the red-and-black of the Trojans.

“Right now we’re just going to see what happens,” said Todd while on his way to Elizabethtown for Christmas break.

Todd spent the past semester at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas after transferring from Texas Tech. Todd said he picked Troy in part because of his relationship with Franklin and because of the offense the Trojans run.

If Todd winds up at Auburn, he would likely compete for the starting job right away. The Tigers lose senior quarterback Brandon Cox, but return three freshmen and one junior next year.

And there’s also the possibility of playing against a former teammate n Brandon Deaderick n in the annual Iron Bowl, the grudge match between Auburn and archrival Alabama.

“That would be something,” Todd said. “I would look forward to that. However things work out, I look forward to challenging him and I’m sure he’ll be as excited about as I am. I’m kind of looking forward to his reaction.”

If Todd chooses Auburn, he’ll be the third Elizabethtown graduate this decade to play in the Southeastern Conference along with Deaderick and Kentucky junior Zipp Duncan.

“If that happens, it will definitely be exciting,” Todd said. “I think it’s the top conference in the country. You get to play a lot of good teams and play in a lot of great places.”

The junior college signing period begins Wednesday, and Auburn begins practice for the Chick-Fil-A Bowl against Clemson on Friday. Todd’s decision could come as early as Wednesday.

“It feels great to be back it again,” Todd said. “I’m excited about it. Obviously they’re a great football school. They have a great tradition down there in Alabama. It’ll be an exciting place to play.”

Josh Claywell can be reached at 505-1752 or at jclaywell@thenewsenterprise.com

BMarkey
12-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Typo in the first sentence?

I look forward to challenging him and I’m sure he’ll be as excited about as I am. I’m kind of looking forward to his reaction.”

He already made up his mind without even a visit. And I suppose TF had nothing to do with that?

Navarre Trojan
12-13-2007, 03:28 PM

He already made up his mind without even a visit. And I suppose TF had nothing to do with that?

Had EVERYTHING to do with it, the VERY FIRST TIME this kid went to his camp. He knew RIGHT THEN that when he got out of JUCO he was going to play for Tony Franklin. Once again, you are right about this one.

BUT, it had nothing to do with the move to Auburn, it had everything to do with "where" Tony was coaching. This kid wants to play for Tony Franklin, no matter where he is. That's the way I see it.

Besides, this kid may not be the 'end all - be all' the everyone thinks he is. He hasn't been in the system for 2 years. Never played much at Tech, and just because he has a rocket arm doesn't mean he will be a great quarterback. There are other things this kid will have to do to prove himself, that is for sure.

I am now focusing on the future, let's get us a QB, either from within or outside our system and get ready to open 2008 with a flury..

Hemi Man
12-13-2007, 03:37 PM
He may be a great quarterback, but is there any receivers at Auburn that can catch the ball? I look for the system to struggle until they get some receivers. Of course they may fire Tony or go back to the power I if they lose a few games.

tntrojan
12-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Yes, agree Franklin will not be the saviour at Auburn that their fans think. If that was the case, every SEC team would be running the spread. I expect Auburn will be better offensively, but let's face reality. The reason teams like us, Fresno, Bosie, Hawaii run the spread is we are not as big in the lines as some of the teams in the power conferences. Not knocking our guys on the lines becasue they certainly impress me week in and week out, but as we saw against our SEC competition, ball control ground game keeps the pass happy spreads in check.

nasupporter
12-13-2007, 11:49 PM

I agree. Ahh.... He will ride the pine at Auburn or if Franklin plays him because of this mutual loyalty,then Franklin and Auburn will have a QB controversy very quickly.

This kids best chance of getting to shine would be at Troy.

Are there those who still think Franklin is not our enemy since he jumped ship? I understand the first thing he did was help this kid and his family set up a visit to Auburn.

Buzz Lightyear
12-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Yes, agree Franklin will not be the saviour at Auburn that their fans think. If that was the case, every SEC team would be running the spread. I expect Auburn will be better offensively, but let's face reality. The reason teams like us, Fresno, Bosie, Hawaii run the spread is we are not as big in the lines as some of the teams in the power conferences. Not knocking our guys on the lines becasue they certainly impress me week in and week out, but as we saw against our SEC competition, ball control ground game keeps the pass happy spreads in check.

Good points!!!! Plus I believe when you are a good athlete sometimes you revel in a challenge. Would he do better here.......probably but he believes that Franklin likes him best to bring him along......yes a QB controversy will follow but it will be his to lose.........

BMarkey
12-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Sure there are, NA.

There are a number of people here who think I have been terrible to call the man who abandoned Troy - which saved his career - at a critical time, and in his first work for Auburn, tried to pick off our QB commitment. Some of these people think we should be cheering this man for all he did for us and ignore what he just did to us.

nasupporter
12-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Sure there are, NA.

There are a number of people here who think I have been terrible to call the man who abandoned Troy - which saved his career - at a critical time, and in his first work for Auburn, tried to pick off our QB commitment. Some of these people think we should be cheering this man for all he did for us and ignore what he just did to us.

I'll say it again,,,, Would they have felt the same way if he had bolted for Bama?

ugatrojan
12-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Auburn is not on the same level as the LSU, Florida, or Georgia's of the world.... TF will struggle tremendously there. I agree with tntrojan, his system will not work in the SEC, and especially not Awbarn.

TU/JSU Fan
12-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Hmmm... His system seemed to work pretty well at Kentucky the FIRST time he was in the SEC.

I don't get all of this ill will towards him... He left.. Lets find a new OC and move on.

Trojan1998
12-14-2007, 08:54 AM
Auburn is not on the same level as the LSU, Florida, or Georgia's of the world.... TF will struggle tremendously there. I agree with tntrojan, his system will not work in the SEC, and especially not Awbarn.

Franklin's system will work at Auburn and in the SEC. He already proved that when he was stationed in Lexington a few years ago. You're probably one of those Kool-Aid drinkers who said that Urban Meyer's spread attack wouldn't work in the SEC.

Additionally, Franklin's system currently works really well in the Big XII (the conference that I consider to be the SEC's sister conference) at Texas Tech. Don't forget, Texas Tech whipped Oklahoma a few weeks ago using this offense.

The Messenger
12-14-2007, 09:11 AM
It worked when we used it against the SEC teams. We lost those games because of mistakes on our part, not because we used that system. We scored almost at will against those teams. We just had a hard time stopping them from scoring as well. They wouldn't have hired him if they didn't think it would work. I do not, however, believe that it will look similar to ours.

Trojan1998
12-14-2007, 09:14 AM
It worked when we used it against the SEC teams. We lost those games because of mistakes on our part, not because we used that system. We scored almost at will against those teams. We just had a hard time stopping them from scoring as well. They wouldn't have hired him if they didn't think it would work. I do not, however, believe that it will look similar to ours.

It will look similar. It might not be exactly the same play for play, but it will at the very least look very similar.

ugatrojan
12-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Franklin's system will work at Auburn and in the SEC. He already proved that when he was stationed in Lexington a few years ago. You're probably one of those Kool-Aid drinkers who said that Urban Meyer's spread attack wouldn't work in the SEC.

Additionally, Franklin's system currently works really well in the Big XII (the conference that I consider to be the SEC's sister conference) at Texas Tech. Don't forget, Texas Tech whipped Oklahoma a few weeks ago using this offense.

I actually did say that, so I drank the Kool-Aid, I was brutally wrong. I think with schools like TT and Awbarn you can win games with the system, but in Florida's case, they can recruit the high caliber athletes needed to run the system week in and week out. Not sure TT and Awbarn can pull the talent needed to run these systems effectively every week. Players get pretty beat up with it.

ugatrojan
12-14-2007, 09:46 AM
I actually did say that, so I drank the Kool-Aid, I was brutally wrong. I think with schools like TT and Awbarn you can win games with the system, but in Florida's case, they can recruit the high caliber athletes needed to run the system week in and week out. Not sure TT and Awbarn can pull the talent needed to run these systems effectively every week. Players get pretty beat up with it.

Honestly, it doesn't effect me one way or another if it works or doesn't work. I just wonder if LB is going to find a similar minded OC.

TSU1997
12-14-2007, 10:57 AM
The system works, the proof is in the pudding. Just look at all the schools that run the system. THEY CAN SCORE!!! They just don't have the defense to go with them...If AU keep Al as DC they will be hard to beat with TF as OC

ksdtrojan
12-14-2007, 11:01 AM
The system works, the proof is in the pudding. Just look at all the schools that run the system. THEY CAN SCORE!!! They just don't have the defense to go with them...If AU keep Al as DC they will be hard to beat with TF as OC
My thoughts exactly as bad as I hate to admit it. I told my sister (AU alum) that they probably just bought themselves a national championship within five years if they can keep Muschamp at DC and keep the strong D that they typically have. I also told her that as far as football is concerned she is now my enemy but she already knew that I was on the verge of completely feeling that way anyway. The events of the last few days have just pushed me over the top.

TrojanEmpire
12-14-2007, 11:20 AM

mmmmmmm pudding.

ugatrojan
12-14-2007, 11:49 AM
My thoughts exactly as bad as I hate to admit it. I told my sister (AU alum) that they probably just bought themselves a national championship within five years if they can keep Muschamp at DC and keep the strong D that they typically have. I also told her that as far as football is concerned she is now my enemy but she already knew that I was on the verge of completely feeling that way anyway. The events of the last few days have just pushed me over the top.

National Championship? Thats a little strong ksd. Maybe an 11 win season, possibly an SEC championship, but even that looks far out of reach with the likes of LSU, Bama, and now Arky standing in their way.

Once we get another OC in here and continue to have great success, we'll see that the real winner is LB and his players. You get a good head coach and a good QB, your gonna win championships. Simple as that.

O2MAN
12-14-2007, 12:13 PM
2 years Franklin or Tubs will be gone. Those 2 egos will not last.

ksdtrojan
12-14-2007, 01:51 PM
National Championship? Thats a little strong ksd. Maybe an 11 win season, possibly an SEC championship, but even that looks far out of reach with the likes of LSU, Bama, and now Arky standing in their way.

Once we get another OC in here and continue to have great success, we'll see that the real winner is LB and his players. You get a good head coach and a good QB, your gonna win championships. Simple as that.
I agree with you but I did say PROBABLY in my post and statement not definitely. TF's system is that strong in my opinion.

I know the real winner is LB and the Trojans. I never said otherwise.

ksdtrojan
12-14-2007, 01:55 PM
I also agree with you O2. I just don't see that relationship working out.

nasupporter
12-14-2007, 11:38 PM

I hope they are both gone because they were 'run-off' by Lowder and the true blue and orange pukes of Auburn.
Who cares about Auburn? (besides the ones on here with a little Orange & Blue mixed in with their CARDINAL & BLACK)
I've never heard so much chatter on a TROY TROJAN BOARD about what Auburn might do in the future with National Championships etc..

Folks I drove down to Troy today (3 hrs.) for Graduation. I drove over by the Stadium and guess what,,, It's still there! Looked really nice,, and I bet there will be one hell of A team playing there next year even without Franklin. GO TROJANS !

I still say some of those on here who are not so upset about Franklin and want to give him love would be singing a different tune if he had deflected to Alabama.
Somewhere , somehow, you gotta draw the line when a coach leaves you and is recruiting against Troy. Helping another team at the expense of Troy. Are you kidding? Are you with us or are you aginst us? I don't understand this "I'm for Troy but Auburn or Bama is also one of the teams I pull for."
Folks I never attended a Troy game untill 4 years ago. My daughter picked Troy because of it's tremendous Band program and has proudly marched for several years. I'm a season ticket holder and contributor and plan on being one for the rest of my life,, We have fell in love with Troy and I admire the Adminstration and coaching staff,,but dang I've never seen so much love and congrats being given to someone who just left us for greener pastures after what LB did for him. Sure no one can blame someone for the move for more money etc.. but to give him a big slap on the back, thanks for all you did for this little ole Troy team makes me sick. I have been around football in many diferent positions for many years and I've never seen a reaction like we have here. IF we want to be big time then to hell with pulling (just a little) for another team we like ,,or giving love to someone who abandons us. Drop him! forget him! to hell with praising him and wishing him well. Hell I hope he stinks it up at Auburn and if he had went to Alabama or any school that we recruit against, I wish him nothing but the pits! Just my thoughts. As our coach Blakney said about being Big time,,,, We need to start acting like BIG TIME.

Trojan2003
12-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Tony Franklin’s camps
December 14, 2007
dchamplin

Been covering prep basketball for the last six hours, so I’m not sure how much discussion about Tony Franklin’s camps have been out there.

But he won’t be having them at Troy, per an Auburn practice report.

“We’ll have camps here,” head coach Tommy Tuberville said. “In the SEC, you can’t leave campus and work another camp. He has other people run them for him. We’ll get film and feedback from them. I think it will be good carryover for us.”

Troy inside receivers coach Neal Brown is pretty much his right-hand man in the seminars, so there is a chance some camps could be at Troy, but Franklin, the ex-OC, won’t be running them.

Also, per the Auburn rivals.com site, quarterback Chris Todd is visiting AU this weekend.

littlebittyschool
12-15-2007, 08:21 AM
In the SEC, you can’t leave campus and work another camp.

In the SEC... like it's some kind of holy ground or something. Tubby's already putting restrictions on Tony. This move was about trying to grab recruits (not just Todd, but others) and giving Tubby a little cushion and another scapegoat when they don't finish 13-0. Aubbie has no intention of running TF's offense. As soon as a receiver drops a pass or the qb throws an int, it's back to 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Ugly up the game with ultra "conservative" play. Arkansas, Houston Nutt, Gus Malzone, sit back and watch it all fall apart.

troymarkus
12-15-2007, 09:13 AM
I love your attitude! You belong with us at http://www.TrojanFanatics.com You definitely qualify as a fanatic!!!

ugatrojan
12-15-2007, 09:38 AM
I hope they are both gone because they were 'run-off' by Lowder and the true blue and orange pukes of Auburn.
Who cares about Auburn? (besides the ones on here with a little Orange & Blue mixed in with their CARDINAL & BLACK)
I've never heard so much chatter on a TROY TROJAN BOARD about what Auburn might do in the future with National Championships etc..

Folks I drove down to Troy today (3 hrs.) for Graduation. I drove over by the Stadium and guess what,,, It's still there! Looked really nice,, and I bet there will be one hell of A team playing there next year even without Franklin. GO TROJANS !

I still say some of those on here who are not so upset about Franklin and want to give him love would be singing a different tune if he had deflected to Alabama.
Somewhere , somehow, you gotta draw the line when a coach leaves you and is recruiting against Troy. Helping another team at the expense of Troy. Are you kidding? Are you with us or are you aginst us? I don't understand this "I'm for Troy but Auburn or Bama is also one of the teams I pull for."
Folks I never attended a Troy game untill 4 years ago. My daughter picked Troy because of it's tremendous Band program and has proudly marched for several years. I'm a season ticket holder and contributor and plan on being one for the rest of my life,, We have fell in love with Troy and I admire the Adminstration and coaching staff,,but dang I've never seen so much love and congrats being given to someone who just left us for greener pastures after what LB did for him. Sure no one can blame someone for the move for more money etc.. but to give him a big slap on the back, thanks for all you did for this little ole Troy team makes me sick. I have been around football in many diferent positions for many years and I've never seen a reaction like we have here. IF we want to be big time then to hell with pulling (just a little) for another team we like ,,or giving love to someone who abandons us. Drop him! forget him! to hell with praising him and wishing him well. Hell I hope he stinks it up at Auburn and if he had went to Alabama or any school that we recruit against, I wish him nothing but the pits! Just my thoughts. As our coach Blakney said about being Big time,,,, We need to start acting like BIG TIME.

One of the best post I've read! Your right, who cares about Awbarn or Bammer!

TrojanEmpire
12-15-2007, 09:58 AM
One of the best post I've read! Your right, who cares about Awbarn or Bammer!

and even UGA?

TrojanEmpire
12-15-2007, 10:14 AM

First of all, I could care less about where a football coach wants to go and coach. If he wants to go, then he can go. At the same time, I am not going to be childish enough to wish nothing but failure. Our program would still be 3 yards and a cloud of dust if not for TF's system. There are assistants on the staff and elsewhere that can run the same system.

The man has gone to a place that will pay him more money and gove him access to even better athletes to run his system. How many of us on here would not take a pay raise that would "at least" double your salary? Not many. Those of you that would say you would not, I have a funny feeling you are not being entirely truthful. This anger towards TF smacks of sour grapes.

Again with this holier than thou either you are with us or you are against us crap. That is so 3rd grade it's ridiculous. It is like a kid on the playground saying if you are his friend you can't be my friend. If someone chooses to keep up with a team other than Troy does not make them less of a "Troy Fan." As long as Troy comes first, why in the blue H$%L do those of you on here constantly whining about about this give a d#$n? So I guess none of us on here have more than one profesional team we root for. Does that make you any less of a fan? Is what ticks you off so much the fact that some people on here still have some entrance in other college teams? Or is it the fact that it is Auburn or Alabama? Again some of you are acting like 12 year olds.

In the spirit of the holiday season, those of you on here spewing all the anger, hate, and sour grapes need to let it go, grow up and act like an adult. My goodness, it is just a flipping game played my a group of young men trying to find out where they fit in in this world. Some of us need to get some perspective.

Tums
12-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Our program would still be 3 yards and a cloud of dust if not for TF's system.

3.0 yards worked in '04 when we only gave up 2.7 per carry.
J/K

ksdtrojan
12-15-2007, 10:45 AM
I agree with several of you on this topic and I don't mean to sound wishy washy. Those who know me, know that I hate AU and UA but at the same time Troy is getting a lot of publicity out of this deal which is not as valuable as the price we paid for it but we are being talked about. I have never heard JOX talk so much about Troy in a positive light. Now they have to talk about us positively or they will look like they have made a bad decision with the hiring of TF.

I LOVE TROY!!!! The school and every team that wears the cardinal and black are always and will always be the only teams that get my support. Auburn and Alabama will be going after the same recruits that we recruit. Look at just this year: Barrett Trotter, now Chris Todd and I am sure others are or have chosen between us and them. Look at those last three words in that last sentence, US AND THEM. You can't be happy for Auburn and sad for Troy at the same time. To all the other schools' fans that have posted, what if TF had gone to you rother school would you be happy? I honestly think that all Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, FSU, Florida, or any other FBS school fans who are also Troy fans need to look hard at this situation. Those schools are hurting Troy because we now play on the same level and even against them at times. We are often going after recruits against them. And they are using Troy as a coaching pipeline. Good for Tony getting a pay raise but wishing him success to me is like saying doom to Troy and I will not do that.

It is now US AND THEM! Like it or not that is the truth.

TrojanEmpire
12-15-2007, 10:53 AM
I agree with several of you on this topic and I don't mean to sound wishy washy. Those who know me, know that I hate AU and UA but at the same time Troy is getting a lot of publicity out of this deal. I have never heard JOX talk so much about Troy in a positive light. Now they have to talk about us positively or they will look like they have made a bad decision with the hiring of TF.

I LOVE TROY!!!! The school and every team that wears the cardinal and black are always and will always be the only teams that get my support. Auburn and Alabama will be going after the same recruits that we recruit. Look at just this year: Barrett Trotter, now Chris Todd and I am sure others are or have chosen between us and them. Look at those last three words in that last sentence, US AND THEM. You can't be happy for Auburn and sad for Troy at the same time. To all the other schools' fans that have posted, what if TF had gone to you rother school would you be happy? I honestly think that all Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, FSU, Florida, or any other FBS school fans who are also Troy fans need to look hard at this situation. Those schools are hurting Troy because we now play on the same level and even against them at times. We are often going after recruits against them. And they are using Troy as a coaching pipeline. Good for Tony getting a pay raise but wishing him success to me is like saying doom to Troy and I will not do that.

It is now US AND THEM! Like it or not that is the truth.

This Us and Them stuff continues. I refuse to obsess over it in that way. I refuse to be one of those guys who gets all worked up over where a 17-18 year old kid is going to school and is constantly calling in to some sports talk show and hoping the guy on there tells me what I want to hear about Billy Bob Jones possibly coming to my school. I could care less who gets who. We will get more than our fair share of good players (they are everywhere in case you have not noticed) and evybody else will get theirs.

This is not the war on terror, it is college athletics. I refuse to treat it as life and death. If that makes me less of a "Troy Guy" then so be it. Personaly, this holier-than-thou, I am a better fan that you stuff is getting old.

ksdtrojan
12-15-2007, 10:59 AM
This Us and Them stuff continues. I refuse to obsess over it in that way. I refuse to be one of those guys who gets all worked up over where a 17-18 year old kid is going to school and is constantly calling in to some sports talk show and hoping the guy on there tells me what I want to hear about Billy Bob Jones possibly coming to my school. I could care less who gets who. We will get more than our fair share of good players (they are everywhere in case you have not noticed) and evybody else will get theirs.

This is not the war on terror, it is college athletics. I refuse to treat it as life and death. If that makes me less of a "Troy Guy" then so be it. Personaly, this holier-than-thou, I am a better fan that you stuff is getting old.
I am not a holier than thou, better fan than you guy. But I do realize that this move by TF has hurt Troy. You can have your opinion and I will keep mine. And that is all it boils down to OPINION. I don't like any other team than Troy, my choice. Others can support other teams, their choice. I just don't agree with the mindset and I am sure they and you don't agree with me and my mindset and that is fine. But it is my opinion and I really don't care if anyone ever agrees with me or not.

TrojanEmpire
12-15-2007, 11:08 AM
I am not a holier than thou, better fan than you guy. But I do realize that this move by TF has hurt Troy. You can have your opinion and I will keep mine. And that is all it boils down to OPINION. I don't like any other team than Troy, my choice. Others can support other teams, their choice. I just don't agree with the mindset and I am sure they and you don't agree with me and my mindset and that is fine. But it is my opinion and I really don't care if anyone ever agrees with me or not.

I wasn't speaking to you specifically, but if you took it that way, then that is my bad. I just don't like the implications that people on here with other rooting interests are somehow less of a Troy fan because of it.

Of couse TF leaving is not good, but I will not wish the man ill becase of it. Maybe now Troy will man up and start paying its coaches a little better so we can keep a good thing going and keep this from happening so frequently in the future.. I, like you, don't care if anyone on here agrees with me or not. So let's just agree to disagree and move on.

TroyFirst
12-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Some of you people just can't handle the opinions of some of us - that what's good for TF and Auburn is bad for us. Just deal with it and quit whining about our opinions.

That is a fact and true Trojan fans are not happy for that former Troy coach, the same way we did not wish Chan Gailey any luck. He sure coach use some now. :)

Troy has learned nothing about paying coaches more. What have we heard about a counter offer to TF? Nothing. It appears as if they tried to talk him into stay (if that) and then wished him luck. if Troy cared about raising salaries, a counter offer would have been made.

TrojanEmpire
12-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Some of you people just can't handle the opinions of some of us - that what's good for TF and Auburn is bad for us. Just deal with it and quit whining about our opinions.

That is a fact and true Trojan fans are not happy for that former Troy coach, the same way we did not wish Chan Gailey any luck. He sure coach use some now. :)

Oh I can handle the opinions. What bothers me is some of you are acting like a teenager that gets dumped. Oh I never loved them, I hate them, I hope they get hit by a bus, etc. It is sour grapes, nothing more and nothing less. It is very juvenile.

Deal with that.

TroyFirst
12-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Clearly, you can't.

A few of you stated your "good job Tony" opinions. A few of us stated what is clearly the obvious ... that we believe he has become the enemy ... and then you folks jumped all over us for being childish.

In truth, you are the children because you can't accept the fact that we feel differently. You are more focused on criticizing people who are not happy with this happening than on the predicament in which Troy finds itself.

troymarkus
12-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Look, we know each other...and here is my take. I can't stand other teams. And the reason I feel that way is because it is just a game! If it were of more importance, my dislike for other teams would be a bit concerning!! But since it's just college athletics, I can wish ill will and bad fortune (concerning the winning and losing) of other programs with no problem.

I think the bottom line for you on this deal is that you are defensive because you happen to like other teams. Nobody is attacking you for that. It's just that some of us feel like to be fully on board that you're completely with Troy or not. That's what I created the fanatics website for. Yes, there are casual Troy fans. Whatever. But I believe to be a true FAN (short for fanatic!) you should have true allegience to YOUR school and YOUR team! We're not D2 or 1-AA anymore. We're playing the teams (or recruiting against) that you or others also pull for. I'm sorry, but that's a conflict of interest.

Go Trojans!
www.TrojanFanatics.com

TrojanEmpire
12-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Clearly, you can't.

A few of you stated your "good job Tony" opinions. A few of us stated what is clearly the obvious ... that we believe he has become the enemy ... and then you folks jumped all over us for being childish.

In truth, you are the children because you can't accept the fact that we feel differently. You are more focused on criticizing people who are not happy with this happening than on the predicament in which Troy finds itself.

yeah, yeah, yeah and your dad can beat up my dad. I get it. So I guess the only way to prove that I don't accept you "truth" is to not reply. Sorry chief that isn't how it works.

When all this came down, many of you on here were acting like spoiled brats who didn't get the G.I. Joe with the kung-fu grip for Christmas. Then you say, to the kid who got it, well your stupid and lame, etc. admit it, if he was going to TAMU or Texas you would be disappointed but not reacting in the way you have. Is it becuase he is so close. Do you not think we would be recruting the same type of players no matter where he went?

Again it is just college football, not war. If you fail to see that, then your priorities clearly need evaluation. There are bigger tragedies in life than losing a football coach.

Hemi Man
12-15-2007, 12:04 PM
I understand both side of the argument. I'm thankful for the offense he brought to Troy. I hate to see him go. I would love to have had another year or 2 with him. I wish the man no harm, but I hope is offense fails at Auburn because he is no longer part of Troy. I would wish the same if he had left to go to Alabama or Chattanooga. If he is taking recruits from Troy then he is working against us, but not anymore than other recruiter anywhere else is. Eighteen year old kids are not very hard to sway, but they are kids and they can change their mind in an instant. Good bye Tony and Hello whoever your succesor may be.

TrojanEmpire
12-15-2007, 12:05 PM
I understand both side of the argument. I'm thankful for the offense he brought to Troy. I hate to see him go. I would love to have had another year or 2 with him. I wish the man no harm, but I hope is offense fails at Auburn because he is no longer part of Troy. I would wish the same if he had left to go to Alabama or Chattanooga. If he is taking recruits from Troy then he is working against us, but not anymore than other recruiter anywhere else is. Eighteen year old kids are not very hard to sway, but they are kids and they can change their mind in an instant. Good bye Tony and Hello whoever your succesor may be.

Well said!

trojanbrutha
12-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Welcome to "Big Time" college sports...it's cut-throat and it speaks volumes about the play of Troy over the past couple of yrs in D1A. Whether or not the AU/UA fans want to admit it, Troy is makin' a name for itself as a football power comin' into it's own. The coaches of those teams have duly noted that (and their Lowder-like followers) and are tryin' to capture some of their thunder back that Troy has stolen...with a little more run stoppin ability, this is goin' to be a top 25 team in the next couple of years, so I'm relishin' in the fact that, atleast, Aubie's coach envies what Troy is accomplishin' in football. The TF era is over, but not that of the Mighty Trojan Nation! This is just the beginning! Give whatever you can in support of the AD and sit back and enjoy the ride! It's not about TF, it's about LB and he's a winner. That's good enough for me...

TU/JSU Fan
12-15-2007, 01:59 PM
I am sorry, but I can't believe you guys would wish he fails... He gave us 2 great years at Troy and we should be thanful for that. If you thought he was here forever then you were really wearing those Cardinal colored glasses. There was no way he was here for a long time. He used Troy to get a bigger job.. I was actually shocked no one hired him last year personally after the turnaround he put together in one short year.

trojanbrutha
12-15-2007, 02:09 PM
I am sorry, but I can't believe you guys would wish he fails... He gave us 2 great years at Troy and we should be thanful for that. If you thought he was here forever then you were really wearing those Cardinal colored glasses. There was no way he was here for a long time. He used Troy to get a bigger job.. I was actually shocked no one hired him last year personally after the turnaround he put together in one short year.

anyway, LB said that he was here mostly as a consultant to implement the offense, so he knew he wouldn't be here that long, but the way it supposedly happened:
"Hey, TF, are you busy? You're not in Troy right now? On a visit, you say? Oh, you're headin' back down 85? Can you stop by Auburn on your way home? Me and a couple of the guys wanted to talk to you about somethin'...I'll tell you about it when you get here...NOooo...! CTT doesn't know I called you, it's Friday before Borges is gonna retire so it's nothin' funny goin' on...we just wanted to see how you were doin is all..."

Whatever, I say let's sweep around our own backdoor and not worry about aubie's...we just need a face to the offense so we can start steerin' the recruits to Troy...

TrojanEmpire
12-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Look, we know each other...and here is my take. I can't stand other teams. And the reason I feel that way is because it is just a game! If it were of more importance, my dislike for other teams would be a bit concerning!! But since it's just college athletics, I can wish ill will and bad fortune (concerning the winning and losing) of other programs with no problem.

I think the bottom line for you on this deal is that you are defensive because you happen to like other teams. Nobody is attacking you for that. It's just that some of us feel like to be fully on board that you're completely with Troy or not. That's what I created the fanatics website for. Yes, there are casual Troy fans. Whatever. But I believe to be a true FAN (short for fanatic!) you should have true allegience to YOUR school and YOUR team! We're not D2 or 1-AA anymore. We're playing the teams (or recruiting against) that you or others also pull for. I'm sorry, but that's a conflict of interest.

Go Trojans!
www.TrojanFanatics.com
Markus, I have the utmost respect for you and your take on things. I get where you are coming from but I don't call it a conflict of interest when the money I spend on supporting athletics goes to Troy. Now if I was buying season tix to Auburn or Alabama then I could defnitely buy into the whole "conflict of interest" argument. If I were a casual fan, I would not be on here constantly voicing my opinions about the going on at Troy. If I were a casual fan I would not have been broken-hearted after the FAU loss and still ticked off we did not get a bowl bid. If I were a casual fan, I would not have dropped $300 on Troy gear when I went down fore homecoming this year. I would not have had troy magnets and car flags on my vehicle 24/7 all during football season. I think we are arguing over semantics here. I am above all else, fan wise, a Trojan now and forever.

troymarkus
12-15-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm not questioning your fan-ness! I saw you decked out at HC! I'm just saying that it's time for Troy fans to be Troy fans. This kind of discussion wouldn't be happening on an Aubbie or Bammer or Florida State board. Their fans don't even think about rooting for someone else...it's not an issue. That is where Troy and its fans need to get. Fans who show up at every game and cheer for their team without caring about any other game outside their conference...those are die-hard fans...fanatics! Larry Blakeney told me himself we need more fans like that. I agree with him.

TrojanEmpire
12-15-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm not questioning your fan-ness! I saw you decked out at HC! I'm just saying that it's time for Troy fans to be Troy fans. This kind of discussion wouldn't be happening on an Aubbie or Bammer or Florida State board. Their fans don't even think about rooting for someone else...it's not an issue. That is where Troy and its fans need to get. Fans who show up at every game and cheer for their team without caring about any other game outside their conference...those are die-hard fans...fanatics! Larry Blakeney told me himself we need more fans like that. I agree with him.

Not questioning my fan-ness? This thread sounds like those ESPN fanhood commericals.

"are you questioning my fanhood?"

"does your fanhood need questioning?"

lol!

Oh the humanity!

ksdtrojan
12-15-2007, 03:31 PM
Not questioning my fan-ness? This thread sounds like those ESPN fanhood commericals.

"are you questioning my fanhood?"

"does your fanhood need questioning?"

lol!

Oh the humanity!
I was just thinking about that comercial as well.

I did not think you were directing your post at me. I am just very frustrated with the whole deal. Troy just took a couple big steps back by losing TF because of his ability to recruit and coach. We will move on and continue to be successful but this blow not only hurt Troy it also helped Auburn. I am an OCD kind of person and I am very much that way about Troy.

TrojanEmpire
12-15-2007, 03:55 PM
I was just thinking about that comercial as well.

I did not think you were directing your post at me. I am just very frustrated with the whole deal. Troy just took a couple big steps back by losing TF because of his ability to recruit and coach. We will move on and continue to be successful but this blow not only hurt Troy it also helped Auburn. I am an OCD kind of person and I am very much that way about Troy.

TF going to Auburn is a loss for Troy. I don't think it is as big a loss as some people think.

trojanbrutha
12-15-2007, 04:03 PM
TF going to Auburn is a loss for Troy. I don't think it is as big a loss as some people think.

and depends on whether or not if, arguably, one of Troy's biggest offensive recruits since Omar, has been or will be influenced to de-commit from Troy to walk-on at Auburn. I don't want to be naive about the impact on recruitin', but the fact is: He's gone and it's time to close this chapter in Trojan Sports history...on to the next era...

TroyFirst
12-15-2007, 04:10 PM
When all this came down, many of you on here were acting like spoiled brats who didn't get the G.I. Joe with the kung-fu grip for Christmas.

And who's quoting about kids' toys and Christmas?

You still can't stand that others have taken a hard line on this issue and instead of trying to enforce your comments, you just berate some of us.

nasupporter
12-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Clearly, you can't.

Excellent post! If we had just a little warm feeling toward auburn, then I guess we would feel all warm and fuzzy about this also. After all one of our "other" teams got the OC and "one" of our teams will still have Franklin and I can "still" watch and pull for him. Blah,, Blah,,, Blah,,,,,, Good grief.
With these type attitudes TROY will have a long hard up hill battle and will continue to be the step-child. If this erks someone,,, so be it. Its my opinion. As I stated earlier, no one blames people for 'bettering themselves $$ wise' etc.. but this garbage of ""good Job Tony"", ""Good Luck"", "Thanks for all you've done for us" etc. is BS.

TrojanEmpire
12-15-2007, 06:27 PM

You still can't stand that others have taken a hard line on this issue and instead of trying to enforce your comments, you just berate some of us.

Me berating other people. If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black.

What I can't stand is people on here wishing a man ill will just becuase he has switched jobs. I would like to think if I switched jobs, the people I left behind would understand why I was doing it and move on.

So you are taking a "hard line" and want to be pi$$ed off because TF left. Good for you. If you want to walk around being angry becuase a dadgum football coach went to work somewhere else, be my guest.

I choose to let it go, wish the man well, compete aginst him on the recruiting trail, and move on.

TrojanEmpire
12-15-2007, 06:41 PM

You mean al this talk about the man being an enemy, hoping he chokes at his new job, and saying he is "Dead to you" is not a little bit childish and immature?

What is this, Michael Corleone disowning Fredo?

nasupporter
12-15-2007, 06:51 PM
You mean al this talk about the man being an enemy, hoping he chokes at his new job, and saying he is "Dead to you" is not a little bit childish and immature?

What is this, Michael Corleone disowning Fredo?

You're right,, we're all WRONG. Are you ever wrong?
GO TROJANS !! and maybe a liitle war eagle on the side. roll tide also. maybe our other team auburn will get that NC now. How about Sabans recruiting this year? LOL.

TrojanEmpire
12-15-2007, 07:01 PM
You're right,, we're all WRONG. Are you ever wrong?
GO TROJANS !! and maybe a liitle war eagle on the side. roll tide also. maybe our other team auburn will get that NC now. How about Sabans recruiting this year? LOL.

I am wrong quite often and I never said you were all wrong chief. I guess I could ask the same question to you. Are you mad because I chose not to sit around and be pi$$Ed like some of you on here? I mean how dare I rage against the "to hell with TF" bandwagon? What am I thinking? Sheesh!

Did you ever stop to think you might be wrong?

troymarkus
12-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Empire, you have to admit that a coach leaving a school is quite a bit different than you leaving your job! No matter what your job is there aren't thousands of people showing up to see the team you lead! There isn't millions of dollars contributed to the company you work for by passionate fans! This is very different! To compare it to a normal person leaving a normal job is fallacy!

While I don't wish any personal ills toward Tony Franklin, I do hope the whole experiment falls flat on its face in failure! I don't like Auburn....at all! The fact that they took our coach makes it worse! I never wished ill will toward Wayne Bolt but when he left for UA's B team I wished that it would not succeed. It's called competition! That is what the difference is here. Higher levels of competition!

ksdtrojan
12-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Empire, you have to admit that a coach leaving a school is quite a bit different than you leaving your job! No matter what your job is there aren't thousands of people showing up to see the team you lead! There isn't millions of dollars contributed to the company you work for by passionate fans! This is very different! To compare it to a normal person leaving a normal job is fallacy!

While I don't wish any personal ills toward Tony Franklin, I do hope the whole experiment falls flat on its face in failure! I don't like Auburn....at all! The fact that they took our coach makes it worse! I never wished ill will toward Wayne Bolt but when he left for UA's B team I wished that it would not succeed. It's called competition! That is what the difference is here. Higher levels of competition!
Good Post TM!

TrojanEmpire
12-15-2007, 07:40 PM

My point is that it is still his job. Just because his job is a little higher profile doesn't mean that some of the attacks on here are justified whether it be towards TF or his "supporters."

Look my point is that just becuase a man changes jobs doesn't mean I don't want to kick his a$$ if I have to compete against him. It means, thanks for your service, and we'll see you down the road. Whenever Troy competes against Auburn in anything, I want Troy to crush them. Yes that includes football. What say you UGATrojan? That wasn't the case in college but that is the case now. At the end of the day that is all that matters.

TF didn't want to be in Troy anymore so let him go. Just because I don't want to join the TF torch and pitchfork brigade (you didn't say that Markus), that makes me a bad person .

Hemi Man
12-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Wasn't Todd supposed to visit Auburn yesterday? Has anyone heard anything about the visit?

TroyFirst
12-15-2007, 11:31 PM
Empire:

Please state where NA, Disco, any of the other posters or I wished that man bad luck in anything other than sport.

You can't (except for the joke that I did not make about him being "dead").

I went out of my way to explain to you and a couple of others how and why I feel what I do about his leaving.

Yet, you charge on with garbage about what we allegedly said.

Put up with the quotes or can it.

TrojanEmpire
12-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Empire:

Please state where NA, Disco, any of the other posters or I wished that man bad luck in anything other than sport.

You can't (except for the joke that I did not make about him being "dead").

I went out of my way to explain to you and a couple of others how and why I feel what I do about his leaving.

Yet, you charge on with garbage about what we allegedly said.

Put up with the quotes or can it.

I never said that you did. I just feel it is in bad taste to hope the man fails at his new job after he did so much for Troy.

In terms of charging on with "garbage that you allegedly said." My whole point was that I just don't feel it is right to wish the man ill will at his new job. Sorry I am not as hardcore as some of you guys on here but I am just looking at it from a different perspective. I am not as upset about it as some are. Because I think we are going to be just fine.

Yeah we recruit against him now but we are going to get our fair share of good players. Everybody has players these days. There are enough good ones to go around. Until we play against them, it really doesn't matter what he does. Auburn will get their players and we will get ours. Until we actually play them on the field, then I will get concerned.

In terms of "canning" it, these message boards are for the free exchange of ideas. If my opinions of how some people on here have reacted to the TF thing disagrees with so many on here, then so be it. It would be awfully boring if we all thought the same way. All I care about is what happens on the field. The off the field things will take care of themselves. I have been a faithful poster for three years and will continue to do so.

nasupporter
12-16-2007, 01:47 PM
I never said that you did. I just feel it is in bad taste to hope the man fails at his new job after he did so much for Troy.

In terms of charging on with "garbage that you allegedly said." My whole point was that I just don't feel it is right to wish the man ill will at his new job. Sorry I am not as hardcore as some of you guys on here but I am just looking at it from a different perspective. I am not as upset about it as some are. Because I think we are going to be just fine.

Yeah we recruit against him now but we are going to get our fair share of good players. Everybody has players these days. There are enough good ones to go around. Until we play against them, it really doesn't matter what he does. Auburn will get their players and we will get ours. Until we actually play them on the field, then I will get concerned.

In terms of "canning" it, these message boards are for the free exchange of ideas. If my opinions of how some people on here have reacted to the TF thing disagrees with so many on here, then so be it. It would be awfully boring if we all thought the same way. All I care about is what happens on the field. The off the field things will take care of themselves. I have been a faithful poster for three years and will continue to do so.

I never said anything negative about the man other than his coaching success at Auburn, another D-1 school in our State that competes for our recruits, etc.. This is a negative for TROY, spin it any way you want to and I think it is totally unrealistic to have no emotion concerning Auburn (or Franklin for that matter) having success at TROY'S EXPENSE. Having played and been involved with Football most of my life, I guess I have a little different concept about 'loyalty' and 'team' than some do. And of course I have no concerns for the orange and blue of auburn. To quote your comment about "Bad taste to hope the man fails at his NEW job" ,, I say,, who cares? and I still wonder about those who make that statement and how they would feel if it were Alabam he suddenly went to as OC. I know one thing it takes 'just a little more' to go first class and it takes just 'a little more' to be truly competitive and make the 'big time' step like Coach Blakney talks about. Some of these attitudes reminds me of "second best" attitudes and reflect that we really don't have the mind set to take it where everybody wants this program to go.... , And to quote you again "If my opinions disagrees with so many on here then so be it.." DITTO

GO TROY TROJANS !!!
Are there any other teams in this State that should really matter to a TROJAN?,,

TrojanEmpire
12-16-2007, 01:57 PM
I never said anything negative about the man other than his coaching success at Auburn, another D-1 school in our State that competes for our recruits, etc.. This is a negative for TROY, spin it any way you want to and I think it is totally unrealistic to have no emotion concerning Auburn (or Franklin for that matter) having success at TROY'S EXPENSE. Having played and been involved with Football most of my life, I guess I have a little different concept about 'loyalty' and 'team' than some do. And of course I have no concerns for the orange and blue of auburn. To quote your comment about "Bad taste to hope the man fails at his NEW job" ,, I say,, who cares? and I still wonder about those who make that statement and how they would feel if it were Alabam he suddenly went to as OC. I know one thing it takes 'just a little more' to go first class and it takes just 'a little more' to be truly competitive and make the 'big time' step like Coach Blakney talks about. Some of these attitudes reminds me of "second best" attitudes and reflect that we really don't have the mind set to take it where everybody wants this program to go.... , And to quote you again "If my opinions disagrees with so many on here then so be it.." DITTO
GO TROY TROJANS !!!
Are there any other teams in this State that should really matter to a TROJAN?,,
Fair enough.Having played and coached and won championships I know what loyalty and team are all about. I also know there is no sense in being upset that someone left Troy to go elsewhere. Were we as upset when Rocker left for Arky or Haley left for wherever he went to. I think the reason most are so sensitive to this is becuase he went to an in state school.

In terms of loyalty, just becuase Blakeney gave TF a second chance to TF, does not mean TF is beholden to LB, or the fns who donate money and come to the games, for the rest of his life. This happens in coaching all the time. Until the administration decides it is going to pay its coaches better this is going to continue to happen and we will continue to have discussions like this.