PDA

View Full Version : Rowell Should he Stay of Should He Go?

Discophobia
12-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Should Rowell stay or should we go a different direction on D?

Troy87
12-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Rowell's fine. He had a great Pass Defense this year. We just need to get someone who can replace Pelton from last year.

Rowell can game plan and coach the pass defense. He's not a DL guy though. We need to get a defensive asst coach that is really good at the run defense fundamentals, to complement JR.

NWFLTrojan
12-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Again, I am just curious, where would he go?

Someone else mentioned him leaving but I never figured out where he is supposedly going. Or were you suggesting that LB look elsewhere for a new DC?

Discophobia
12-12-2007, 10:53 PM
I am thinking more of the Fleetwood door. I just like seeing peoples opinions, the D was a big issue this year. We had flashes of the old D, but we all too often looked like a JR high team against the run.

Room Guy
12-12-2007, 11:20 PM
I don't know how anyone could've expected a stellar run defense when they never saw power running in practice. There's a difference in pass blocking and run blocking, and when the DL isn't used to being run-blocked and you face a power running team, you could be in trouble.

Troy87
12-12-2007, 11:35 PM
I don't know how anyone could've expected a stellar run defense when they never saw power running in practice. There's a difference in pass blocking and run blocking, and when the DL isn't used to being run-blocked and you face a power running team, you could be in trouble.

Exactly correct. This is why we need a DL/LB coach to scheme the run defense. Rowell can scheme the game plan and the pass defense. Get the run defense and we're back up in the top thirty like we were for four years straight. BTW, when it was all said and done this year, we were #57 overall in Total Defense. There were 62 teams worse than Troy on Defense. Some of those were Missouri, Nebraska, Tennessee, Oregon and Colorado.

Trojan2003
12-13-2007, 05:44 AM
What about Prattville's head coach Bill Clark?

Discophobia
12-13-2007, 07:55 AM
If that is what we need to do than lets do it!

pelliott
12-13-2007, 08:04 AM
He stay's - he will get better as a coach (good now)
He is a great recruiter!!! - He has great relationships now - do we want to start over in that arena too???????????????????????

ksdtrojan
12-13-2007, 09:57 AM
He is a great recruiter!!! - He has great relationships now - do we want to start over in that arena too???????????????????????
I agree. If he wants to be here, leave him alone and let him do his thing. The defense will get better as he continues to improve.

Tums
12-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Back away from the Pipe.
Troy D was #1 in the nation on Third-down Efficiency & #9 in Turnovers Gained.
Translated the Troy D got the ball back alot for the O.
That was very big considering there was only 6 teams in the country that turned the ball over more than Troy.
Something that should be noted about Troy's turnovers problems on the last 2 Loses.
Loss to FAU with 14 of their points coming off Turnovers. Lost by 6
Loss to Georgia with 17 of their points coming off Turnovers. Lost by 10

Troy87
12-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Back away from the Pipe.
That was very big considering there was only 6 teams in the country that turned the ball over more than Troy.
Something that should be noted about Troy's turnovers problems on the last 2 Loses.

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding!

We have a winner!!!

playfailstoogain
12-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Rowell's fine. He had a great Pass Defense this year. We just need to get someone who can replace Pelton from last year.

Rowell can game plan and coach the pass defense. He's not a DL guy though. We need to get a defensive asst coach that is really good at the run defense fundamentals, to complement JR.

i agree with everything you said - especially now that we will likely have the youngest staff in the country - we really need a gray headed snot knocker DL coach.

trojanbrutha
12-13-2007, 08:53 PM

You gotta like this guy as a recruiter...main example: James Searcy

Buzz Lightyear
12-13-2007, 11:56 PM
Back away from the Pipe.

You know chemistry and improvement go hand in hand........Coach stays things will be allright. Hard with our overall size when we play the behemoths. If anyone remembers 2006 Nebraska, a few of us were there. We still have problems with that with the backer size we have but overall I think our D coaches are allright. They too will improve. I know the better and smarter the people that I employ the smarter I seem to get. Think the same applies here.