PDA

View Full Version : Tony Franklin teleconference at 6 p.m. (Dothan Eagle Troy Blog)

ksdtrojan
12-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Tony Franklin teleconference at 6 p.m. (http://www.gulfeast.com/index.php/troy_blog/tony_franklin_teleconference_at_6_pm/)

December 12, 2007

dchamplin

Here’s the release that Auburn University sent out.
I may listen to the teleconference, but my focus for tomorrow will be what’s next for Troy. Collin Mickle of the Opelika-Auburn News will handle the actual TF to Auburn side.
AUBURN NAMES TONY FRANKLIN OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR
AUBURN—Tony Franklin, who served as offensive coordinator and
quarterbacks coach for the past two seasons at Troy, has been named
offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Auburn, announced head
coach Tommy Tuberville Wednesday. Franklin, who also spent four years
at the University of Kentucky, helped both programs achieve a high level
of offensive success.

“Tony has had a tremendous amount of success offensively in
the Southeastern Conference and during his most recent position at
Troy,” Tuberville said. “He teaches an exciting brand of offense
that has posted some very impressive numbers, statistically. We’re
excited to have him on staff and look forward to having him get started
with us during preparations for the Chick-fil-A Bowl.”
During his tenure at Troy, Franklin helped lead the Trojans to
back-to-back eight-win seasons, consecutive Sunbelt Conference
Co-Championships and a New Orleans Bowl victory in 2006. Troy’s
offense, which was last in the conference in total offense prior to his
arrival, was second in the Sun Belt in 2006 and was first in the league
in total offense (452.8 ypg) and scoring offense (34.0 ppg) this season.
Nationally in 2007, his offense was 17th in total offense and 25th in
scoring offense.
“I’m looking forward to the opportunity to return to the
Southeastern Conference and work with an outstanding program at
Auburn,” Franklin said. “I’m very appreciative of Coach
Tuberville for giving me the chance to serve as Auburn’s offensive
coordinator and I’m excited about getting started and working with the
coaching staff and players. I’d also like to thank (Troy) Coach Larry
Blakeney and the Troy family for the opportunity they provided me
during the last two years.”
Under Franklin’s direction, Troy quarterback Omar Haugabook
was the Sunbelt Conference Player of the Year, Offensive Player of the
Year and Newcomer of the Year in 2006. Haugabook repeated as the
Sunbelt Offensive Player of the Year in 2007.
Franklin, 50, coached four years at the University of Kentucky
from 1997-2000, where he was the Wildcats’ running backs coach from
1997-99 before serving as the offensive coordinator and wide receivers
coach during the 2000 season.
While at Kentucky, Franklin helped lead the Wildcats to
consecutive bowl appearances (1998-99) for the first time in 15 years
and their first New Year’s Day bowl game (1999 Outback Bowl) in 50
seasons. Named one of the top 10 recruiters in the South during his
tenure in Lexington, Franklin’s offense in 2000 finished second
nationally in passing offense and 11th in the country in total offense.
In 2003, Franklin was the general manager and head coach of the
expansion franchise Lexington Horsemen football team in their inaugural
season in the National Indoor Football League.
Prior to his stint at Kentucky, he coached 16 years on the high school
level for seven schools.
Franklin was a two-year letterman at Murray State, from 1976-77,
where he played running back. He received his bachelor’s and
master’s degrees from Murray State in 1979 and 1989, respectively.
A native of Princeton, Ky., Franklin and his wife, Laura, have
three daughters, Chelsea (22), Caroline (20), and Caitlin (18).

Posted in by Drew Champlin on 12/12 at 05:25 PM

Good Luck Tony! Thanks for two great years of exciting offensive football.

trojanbrutha
12-12-2007, 07:03 PM
From Drew:

Some quotes from Tony Franklin

I spoke with him a few minutes ago. His teleconference doesn’t start for 15 more minutes, but here’s what he had to say. He doesn’t think Troy will miss a beat because he “hired plenty of coaches smarter than him.”

“I was coming back Sunday from watching a quarterback in Kentucky. (Auburn assistant) Eddie (Gran) called me and asked me to stop by. We ended up talking for a few hours (with other coaches as well) and it went from there.”

“The hardest thing for me about leaving Troy was leaving Larry (Blakeney). He was gutsy enough to hire me and give me a chance. Not only is he a great coach, he’s just a wonderful human being and a great friend.”

On the opportunity...
“In any profession, you always want to try to make it to the highest level. I think this is an opportunity to compete in the best conference in all of college football. As you go through life, you look through challenges and this is one of them.”

Haven’t spoke with Chris Todd, the quarterback who committed from JUCO to sign with Troy, but he’s probably going to go to Auburn. I’ll see if I can catch him with him later.

Posted in by Drew Champlin on 12/12 at 05:40 PM

O2MAN
12-12-2007, 07:15 PM
That is my biggest fear, please tell me he aready enrolled.

ksdtrojan
12-12-2007, 07:21 PM
That is my biggest fear, please tell me he aready enrolled.
You know, while I truly hope he decides to stay committed to Troy, I believe we will still sign a QB that will be able to make an impact. Don't forget the cupboard is not bare.

Nice Trojan
12-12-2007, 07:32 PM
It's on AU's website already:

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121207aab.html

ThePowerMan
12-12-2007, 07:32 PM
I actually liked Tanner Jones. I really think he is very capable of growing up and running this offense.

TUrocks
12-12-2007, 07:54 PM
I don't know if there's anyone else here who have been reading the Auburn Boards, but what I saw, overwhelmingly, was a bunch of fans who aren't too thrilled with this hire. Many were trashing the spread offense as a gimmick offense and they were calling out Tubs for going against his philosophy. We'll just have to wait and see how things pan out.

I won't be like others on this board. Good luck TF and thanks for the two years of hard work.

Can this board officially move on from the fact that Franklin is gone now????

ThePowerMan
12-12-2007, 08:06 PM
I won't be like others on this board. Good luck TF and thanks for the two years of hard work.

Can this board officially move on from the fact that Franklin is gone now????

Well said. I agree 100%. We can't pay SEC pay and there is no one on this board (in their right mind) that would not agree that this is a step up the ladder for TF. I am not saying we couldn't beat them at any given moment but I am saying that Auburn fills its 90-something seat stadium and can afford to pay their coaches more.

TF was a great coach that will forever be in Troy History but there will be a next great coach and then a next great coach. We aren't at the bottom of the food chain but we are a long way from the top. Let's be thankful for a Head Coach in LB that recognizes talented minds and brings them to Troy for a few years.

trojanforce
12-12-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm hoping we can sign Chris Todd. I don't think Jones and Hampton are ready to run the offense. TF got very frustrated with them at times leading me to think he felt they should have been further along. We need new competition this spring and summer.

trojanforce

Discophobia
12-12-2007, 09:26 PM
What about Kodi Burns? I thought he was the future of Auburn, I know Todd wanted to play for TF, but he only has two years to play. I dont know that he will stay with us. I hope so, but who knows. With his talent and limited amount of time it seems like he would opt for a program that throws the ball and he can step in and play right away. I just dont know that Auburn will be that program.

nasupporter
12-12-2007, 09:41 PM
What about Kodi Burns? I thought he was the future of Auburn, I know Todd wanted to play for TF, but he only has two years to play. I dont know that he will stay with us. I hope so, but who knows. With his talent and limited amount of time it seems like he would opt for a program that throws the ball and he can step in and play right away. I just dont know that Auburn will be that program.

I agree, What I hear is Kodi Burns will be 'the man' and is well suited for Franklins offense. At best Todd would share playing time the next two years. That just doesn't sound very appealing to a QB who wants to get quality playing time. Friendship with TF is one thing but getting your playing time is more important.

NWFLTrojan
12-12-2007, 10:31 PM
I am sure Todd will commit to Auburn next week when he visits. He is what Auburn needs. That is a QB who has D-1 arm and knows the system. Burns is the future, just like Jones and Hampton are our future. But TF and Tubberville need this venture to be successful right now. I don't know Burns' background, but odds are that he does not know this system. They can not have it faulter next year because Cox and Burns don't grasp the system.

I am sure the plan for Todd is the same at Auburn that it was at Troy, bring him in for two years while the freshman matures into the system.

I hope I am wrong but those are my thoughts.