PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Univ.? What's Wrong With That?

WeSuck.com
12-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Let me see if I have this correct, some people on this board are "upset" about Tony Franklin possibly moving to Auburn? This continues a trend that Troy will NEVER be able to stop, but why should we be "upset".

Look if we suck, nobody cares about our coaches. The legacy that LB really leaves behind is a pretty impressive list of coaches who have their roots with TMTDM.

I think this is even a recruiting tool. Look at the partial list:

Matt Moore - 1 year after he coaches TMTDM he handles the same position at Texas Tech, that's two years after coaching at the hs level.

Mike Turk - Legend at TMTDM, started Huntingdon football program

Brick Haley - spewed fire at defensive and could out recruit anyone for TMTDM is now Defensive Line Coach for the Chicago Bears. The Chicago Bears of the NFL.

Vick Koning - Defensive genius for TMTDM; now DC at Clemson.

Tracy Rocker - Defensive line coach now at Arkansas?

Ron Middleton - two years coaching for TMTDM; several years with the Tampa Bay Bucs and now - oh my god noooooooooooooo! Offensive line coach for Bammer.

Steve Campbell - National Champion player in '87; HC for DII National Champion, probably hottest HC in JUCO ranks.

I'm sure others can be added.

Heck Willie Slater is Hc at Tuskeegee now and Rick Rhodes is still stomping in the DII ranks all with TMTDM roots.

My point is: if Taco Bell offered you more money, you losers would quit your job at Waffle House in a second. That doesn't make Taco Bell a worse place to eat.

TMTDM has been a consistent winner year after year after year. We are going to lose coaches as long as we are winning.

I mean SWLa hasn't lost a coach to a IA team in several decades. Why? Because they have sucked for several decades.

So just like recruiting players, LB seems to be able to "reload" his coaching staff. I think that is a plus. It is part of the reason he is THE MAN/THE LEGEND!

The Red Wave
12-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Where have you been ? I agree with you! Brick was the man as was Tracy. LB will pull this thing out of the ditch! LB Rules

Discophobia
12-12-2007, 06:31 PM
LB is the man. I would support renaming the Stadium and the University LB University. I have no doubt he has a plan in place and will move forward without skipping a beat.

tntrojan
12-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Good post. I think Rocker went to Ole Miss with Nutt.

ThePowerMan
12-12-2007, 07:04 PM
I really wonder how many coaches TF will eventually take from Troy. I think none will go until after the season but I really believe that after Auburns Bowl game there will be several coaches released to make way for the spread attack. That's when the raid of Troy coaches will be made.

Pcbtrojan
12-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Some at Texas Tech and other places too.

trojanbrutha
12-12-2007, 07:17 PM
I really wonder how many coaches TF will eventually take from Troy. I think none will go until after the season but I really believe that after Auburns Bowl game there will be several coaches released to make way for the spread attack. That's when the raid of Troy coaches will be made.

But we won the Palladium, how come it's not protectin' the Walls of Troy!?

Trojans1andAll
12-12-2007, 07:20 PM
It doesn't upset me that Aubbie took TF, aubbie does what aubbie does. And I know that Troy can't right a check as big as aubbie can, compare Tuberville's salary to Troy's entire atheltic budget. What does bother me is that this is the second time that Troy has pulled a coach out of obscurity, polished them up, helped them rebuild their reputation, and all Troy gets is two years. I honestly would have liked to seen at least 4 years with TF.

But I do think LB will find us another good OC, preferably a TF protege that will get the job done.

ThePowerMan
12-12-2007, 07:30 PM
But we won the Palladium, how come it's not protectin' the Walls of Troy!?

A few months ago I heard preacher telling a story about a man who was fired. He told him that you can't get a better job until you lose the one you got.

Maybe that is the case here. Each year we seem to think it is the end of the world when we lose a player, coach, or athletic director (i.e. DT McDowell, Jason Samples, D. Ware, Vic Koening, etc.). But each has been replaced by the GREAT LB. I have full confidence this will be the case and next year we will all be stress-free.

jagd1305
12-12-2007, 08:18 PM
LB reminds me of an old Kentucky horse trader...he has a very good eye for serious talent. TROY is a place where second chances for players and coaches can happen.

ThePowerMan
12-12-2007, 08:26 PM
LB reminds me of an old Kentucky horse trader...he has a very good eye for serious talent. TROY is a place where second chances for players and coaches can happen.

Maybe we could use that as a recruiting slogan. GOOD STUFF.

Maybe call it the TroJan Horse U. Kinda like our stadium.)

LowerAlabamaMocFan
12-12-2007, 08:30 PM
But assistants moving around does not constitute calling a Unversity, Coaching U.
Look at my little alma mater, head coaches that moved on from Chatt.
Joe Morrison (former moc head coach to South Carolina head coach (died suddenly of a heart attack)
Tommy West (Chatt to Clemson and now Memphis all as head coach)
Joe Lee Dunn ( Former Moc Player and Coach and Coaching Legend)
Brother Bill Oliver Former Moc Head Coach Coaching legend
Buddy Nix Former Moc Head Coach Current Direct or Player Personnell San Diego Chargers
Buddy Green Former MOc head Coach, will now be assistant head Coach Def.Coordinator at Georgia Tech under Paul Johnson
And the list could go on all day, my point, this does not constitute anyone being a Coaching U, that is just the nature of the beast at any small university.
Most every small school like Troy has this problem. I would probably say that Jerry Moore at Appalachian State makes more than most Sunbelt coaches, although I do no know this as fact, I only speculate. By the way, Appy is getting a brand new indoor practice facility in Boone.

Pcbtrojan
12-12-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm glad to hear LB wants to stay the coarse with this style of offense. Nothing wrong with coaches moving up. Thats life not just here but in the $EC, NFL and other places.
Heck the old ball coach goes against his own school. Thats gotta burns some butts at UF.
To Coach Franklin as they say in my old service Fair Winds and Following Seas. He has left some talented coaches here to take over. We are in better shape now than in 2005. Now Coach Blakeney there is a young man at a JUCO that needs a phone call from you, his name is Todd, Chris Todd.

BMarkey
12-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Well ... Let's just break out in a big collective smile and pat ourselves on the backs for being fans of a wonderful coaching incubator. Rah, rah, rah!

He's gone. It's done. If he has any integrity, he will leave alone the kids he and the other coaches had already convinced to commit to the Trojans.

I enjoyed what Franklin did at Troy, but he failed to complete the job, he didn't adequately repay Blakeney and the people who invested in him, and he fled for the money and "opportunity". His resume is beginning to look like it's attached to a ping-pong ball. That's his doing.

I won't wish him good luck, because much of that luck would come at our school's expense. He is now the enemy, employed by a stuck-up school that hasn't the guts to schedule little Troy.

Now, Troy, please go out and find the next great coach and - despite taking another step backward when we all had thought our little school had turned the corner - make this lemon into a refreshing cold drink.

Troy87
12-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Good Grief!

What sour grapes and selfishness!

BMarkey
12-12-2007, 10:44 PM
O.K. Let's do the ultimate in unselfishness. Let's give them all our coaches and all our recruits and just lay down and lose all the games. Aaaw heck, let's just fold the program and sell the stadium to Jax State.

Navarre Trojan
12-12-2007, 10:54 PM
O.K. Let's do the ultimate in unselfishness. Let's give them all our coaches and all our recruits and just lay down and lose all the games. Aaaw heck, let's just fold the program and sell the stadium to Jax State.

you seem to be in more dire need of a "fix" than any man I know.

Come on, this is just business. Let's move on, get on with the mission of the universities athletic program and support those that are still trying to get better, in their vocation, so they, too, can move on to bigger and better things someday!

My goodness.......

BMarkey
12-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Feel free to post your opinion. But I have mine, despite your protests. If you don't like it, tough.

If you keep attacking me for my beliefs, this will just get nasty.

nasupporter
12-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Feel free to post your opinion. But I have mine, despite your protests. If you don't like it, tough.

Bob, I'm kinda with you on this crap of "good luck Tony" I say BS !

I know we have a lot of loyal Trojans on here, but when I hear all this TF love and pat on the back for moving over to Auburn, it makes me wonder how many posting that BS has a little ""closet Auburn Fan -- Anti Bama fan in them"" ?

I'm glad I don't have that problem. I'm for TROY !

Helping AubRAN at the expense of TROY is not my bag!

Discophobia
12-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Cut the orange and blue/crimson and white chord. You are either with us or your against us! As for me it all cardinal and black. They can take their aubbies and bamer and shove it!

Navarre Trojan
12-12-2007, 11:22 PM

directing this at me or my post. I am not attacking you, just merely giving you another way to think about this.

Why is it that every time your 'opinion' is discussed it becomes an attack? Everyone on the board the last two days have shared their disappointment with Franklin leaving, but almost everyone close to the situation agreed that he made the right decision for HIM.

We couldn't pay him the kind of money he got at Auburn. We cant put 90K in the stands on gameday. We can't compete with Auburn's facilities.

We are very, very young in this process and these things have to be expected. WE really should be honored that he was thought of enough to get this opportunity. We are not going to 'throw in the towel' or 'send all of our recruits north' or 'shut down the program'! We are going to move on and do the best we can with what we have.

This is not an attack, this is just the way it is. I don't have any ill will toward Tony Franklin. I do, however, despise those schools in the state of Alabama that refuse to play us and use the excuse of 'we have nothing to gain' as their reason, but it has nothing to do with Tony Franklin.

WeSuck.com
12-12-2007, 11:53 PM
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Well ... Let's just break out in a big collective smile and pat ourselves on the backs for being fans of a wonderful coaching incubator. Rah, rah, rah!

He's gone. It's done. If he has any integrity, he will leave alone the kids he and the other coaches had already convinced to commit to the Trojans.

We don't compete for recruits with Aubie or Bammer. We take players they don't even look at: i.e. Ware, Umenyiora, Jernigan,etc... FYI: We're not Notre Dame, but we have a head coach with an eye for talent.

I enjoyed what Franklin did at Troy, but he failed to complete the job, he didn't adequately repay Blakeney and the people who invested in him, and he fled for the money and "opportunity". His resume is beginning to look like it's attached to a ping-pong ball. That's his doing.

"Enjoyed"? Is that how you described your experience in New Orleans last year? Failed to complete his job? 16 wins in two seasons (granted 18 would have been better)?Where you at Minnesota when we put up 4 first downs - two by penalty? Lost to Miss. State 8-11 and turned the ball over 8 times?

I won't wish him good luck, because much of that luck would come at our school's expense. He is now the enemy, employed by a stuck-up school that hasn't the guts to schedule little Troy.

Sure Aubie blows chow, but the fact they (and Bammer) don't play us is now becoming a plus for us. I say "they had their chance to play us. Too late now". If we keep running our mouths, they'll schedule us the year we suck and get beat 70-3 and then we'll hear "the refs suck or we were better last year or if this was 2007...".

Now, Troy, please go out and find the next great coach and - despite taking another step backward when we all had thought our little school had turned the corner - make this lemon into a refreshing cold drink.

And hope that he is so successful that he is taken by Tennessee (which means TMTDM has won 8-9 games per year).

Please Baggs take Markey out for a drink.

BMarkey
12-13-2007, 12:14 AM
I was not referring to you, Navarre. It seems like when I give my opinion, I get jumped on by name, incorrect name and become the focus of the thread. What's wrong with just giving your opinion and keeping me out of it? I'm just another voice.

I only address another person here after they go at me.

I might just re-join this group at some point under and assumed name and then you all can go at that pseudonym all you want.

Yes, we do compete for recruits with Auburn.

Wasn't Jernigan recruited by Auburn?

Most recently, there is a guy named Todd in play.

I have read of many others on the recruiting board, on Scout and Rivals.

TU/JSU Fan
12-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Bob,

I agree with you.. People are taking shots at you for no reason (Not Narvarre), but others definitely are.

That being said.. This is just a business. Am I happy? Hell no.. Am I surprised? Not at all. I knew he would be gone after a few years, but I didn't figure it would be to Auburn... They seemed the last team in the world that would want his offense. I am not so sure that I am all for him keeping his camps on our campus. That seems like a conflict of interest. Players get exposure to our faciltiies and stuff, but they see him and think.. Hmm.. I want to play at Auburn!

TrojanEmpire
12-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Good Grief!

What sour grapes and selfishness!

Amen brother!

TrojanEmpire
12-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Cut the orange and blue/crimson and white chord. You are either with us or your against us! As for me it all cardinal and black. They can take their aubbies and bamer and shove it!

Only a sith deals in absolutes!
Seriously let's all just calm down. Some of you guys on here have just gotten out of control. So what if there are some people on here that still might root for Auburn or Alabama. As long as Troy comes first in that pecking order, I have no problem with it. I still root for Auburn but you better believe I am a Trojan first and foremost and would be rooting foer the Trojans is Auburn would ever play them. When I had a chance to actually go to a game this year, it was a Troy game (not AU). So you guys on here judging people by who they may or may not be "loyal" need to calm yourselves and quit pitching such a fit.

Discophobia
12-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Why is it out of control to think that you should support your school and only your school? We are a D-I program, we are competing against bamer, aubbie etc. not only for recruits but also for fans. If you dont think so, you are stuck in D-II small school thinking. It used to be a given that most Troy people supported Troy, but they also supported a D-I program. Well guess what we are a D-I program now. Go to another in state D-I program and ask them what other school do they cheer for and see what kind of looks you get.
As for me I left any dual support I had along time ago. If you think this makes me out of control then so be it. I call it being loyal to my school. If you want to split your loyalties than that is your business, I dont understand it, but that is on you. GO TROY, CARDINAL AND BLACK!

TrojanEmpire
12-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Why is it out of control to think that you should support your school and only your school? We are a D-I program, we are competing against bamer, aubbie etc. not only for recruits but also for fans. If you dont think so, you are stuck in D-II small school thinking. It used to be a given that most Troy people supported Troy, but they also supported a D-I program. Well guess what we are a D-I program now. Go to another in state D-I program and ask them what other school do they cheer for and see what kind of looks you get.
As for me I left any dual support I had along time ago. If you think this makes me out of control then so be it. I call it being loyal to my school. If you want to split your loyalties than that is your business, I dont understand it, but that is on you. GO TROY, CARDINAL AND BLACK!

Okay answer me this. How many of the guys on the team do you think might root for another team from their home state? There are probably a few. If you are going to take that holier-than-thou attitude then let's just run all the guys off the team that root for another college team becuase they have a high school buddy on that team, etc. To say that those who maybe have another team they keep up with are less of a "Troy Guy" than you is disingenous and insulting. Troy will always be number one in my heart. Just because I keep up with another school does not make be less of a "Troy Guy." I was an athlete at Troy for crying out loud, so you don't get to question my loyalty. If you can't handle that, then it is on you. Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

nasupporter
12-13-2007, 11:29 AM

Maybe we should just all have a little group hug and say""'War Trojan', Thanks Tony"". and "Tell Todd and his family hello for us" "see you back over here next summer while you use our campus to recruit for our friends over at Auburn"...
I wonder how many on here would feel the same way if Franklin had split for Bama?
I made a post the other day with a message to Franklin that said "Roll Tide" and I got scolded for saying Roll Tide. Hmm.........
I'm for TROY.

Discophobia
12-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Okay answer me this. How many of the guys on the team do you think might root for another team from their home state? There are probably a few. If you are going to take that holier-than-thou attitude then let's just run all the guys off the team that root for another college team becuase they have a high school buddy on that team, etc. To say that those who maybe have another team they keep up with are less of a "Troy Guy" than you is disingenous and insulting. Troy will always be number one in my heart. Just because I keep up with another school does not make be less of a "Troy Guy." I was an athlete at Troy for crying out loud, so you don't get to question my loyalty. If you can't handle that, then it is on you. Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

Hey look man, I realize that most of us were brought up supporting other schools. The dual support thing is something that will change over time as we continue to grow as a program. Who you support besides Troy is really none of my business, however dont criticize me becuase I only support Troy. Why would I want to support programs that we are competing against as a DI program. I am not questioning your loyalty nor am I questioning the loyalty of the players. It is tought to change old habbits. We are a growing program with a maturing fanbase, some fans just mature quicker than others.

nasupporter
12-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Maybe we should just all have a little group hug and say""'War Trojan', Thanks Tony"". and "Tell Todd and his family hello for us" "see you back over here next summer while you use our campus to recruit for our friends over at Auburn"...
I wonder how many on here would feel the same way if Franklin had split for Bama?
I made a post the other day with a message to Franklin that said "Roll Tide" and I got scolded for saying Roll Tide. Hmm.........
I'm for TROY.

P.S. Go Clemson!! and Roll Tide!!
,,,,,,,,,,,,But I'm for TROY also!

TrojanEmpire
12-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Hey look man, I realize that most of us were brought up supporting other schools. The dual support thing is something that will change over time as we continue to grow as a program. Who you support besides Troy is really none of my business, however dont criticize me becuase I only support Troy. Why would I want to support programs that we are competing against as a DI program. I am not questioning your loyalty nor am I questioning the loyalty of the players. It is tought to change old habbits. We are a growing program with a maturing fanbase, some fans just mature quicker than others.

I was never criticizing your sole support for Troy. So don't take it that way. As long as Troy is number one on my list (and they always will be) and others lists, then that is fine by me.

Discophobia
12-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Alright, see ya next fall at the Gallery. Go Trojans!

goe1975
01-04-2009, 07:57 AM
P.S. Go Clemson!! and Roll Tide!!
,,,,,,,,,,,,But I'm for TROY also!

...........nm

nasupporter
01-04-2009, 04:37 PM
...........nm

Perhaps you should repost ALL of those posts during that time and I think you will see the "roll tide" wa a jab and sarcasm toward TF and the whole debacle of the time. NOT a support for Alabama by me. GET REAL. (Hey I would sure welcome him back now) Check 'em out and youwill see my TRUE Alegiance. I/m against ALL teams that hurts our TROJANS.,,,, STill WAAAAAAAAY too many aubies and tiders on a TROY site to be healthy in my opinion. I know I can "change channels",, as has been mentioned to me already. Are some of you actually attempting to run Troy fans off if they say something negative about the beloved Auburn and Alabama?SAD.
GO TROJANS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go read in the 'everything else' forum.

GO READ ALL OF MY POSTS AND COMPARE THEM TO THOSE WHO WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE OTHER TWO SCHOOLS IN THIS STATE.

This is a BIG problem for TROY ever becomming what we all want it to become!

goe1975
01-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Perhaps you should repost ALL of those posts during that time and I think you will see the "roll tide" wa a jab and sarcasm toward TF and the whole debacle of the time. NOT a support for Alabama by me. GET REAL. (Hey I would sure welcome him back now) Check 'em out and youwill see my TRUE Alegiance. I/m against ALL teams that hurts our TROJANS.,,,, STill WAAAAAAAAY too many aubies and tiders on a TROY site to be healthy in my opinion. I know I can "change channels",, as has been mentioned to me already. Are some of you actually attempting to run Troy fans off if they say something negative about the beloved Auburn and Alabama?SAD.
GO TROJANS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go read in the 'everything else' forum.

GO READ ALL OF MY POSTS AND COMPARE THEM TO THOSE WHO WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE OTHER TWO SCHOOLS IN THIS STATE.

This is a BIG problem for TROY ever becomming what we all want it to become!

"Easy, Leonard. Go easy, man."

nasupporter
01-04-2009, 09:53 PM
This is tough for me, but this particular froum (and on the everything else forum) and sequence of posts has helped me make up my mind. I'm breaking off on this board for awhile or maybe permanently. It's a good way to run fans off I suppose,,,I have taken this persons vile comments a little to personal. I doubt 99.999% of you will care about my support (vocal,contributions,in the stands,etc.) and efforts toward TROY UNIVERSITY. But before I go there are two things I want to say.
First, I want to thank the moderators and Jeff for the great privilege to be able to have a forum like this to post on. I hope I have contributed something of value once in ahile. For the times I didn't, I apologize. I thank you for all your efforts. This is a great service to the building of a fan base and support of TROJAN ATHLETICS.

Second, I want to apologize to any TROJAN who may have taken offense at any post I have ever made on here. I don't really care if I offended any other teams obnoxious fans who came to our board to harass. And I'm not really concerned if I upset you aboutone of your 'other' State schools.
I can't recall ever posting anything I would consider offensive to an individual who was a TROJAN. I would encourage any who are interested to read every post I have made since joining in '04. You will see where my SUPPORT AND LOYALTY has always been.

I really appreciate and have grown in my support of TROY UNIVERSITY. I love this great STATE andUNIVERSITY and we all have a vested interest in seeing this program prosper.
Have a Blessed and wonderful year in 2009.
May God Bless each and everyone of you and your loved ones.
THANK YOU.
nasupporter

socrgoly25
01-05-2009, 02:40 AM
This is tough for me, but this particular froum (and on the everything else forum) and sequence of posts has helped me make up my mind. I'm breaking off on this board for awhile or maybe permanently. It's a good way to run fans off I suppose,,,I have taken this persons vile comments a little to personal. I doubt 99.999% of you will care about my support (vocal,contributions,in the stands,etc.) and efforts toward TROY UNIVERSITY. But before I go there are two things I want to say.
First, I want to thank the moderators and Jeff for the great privilege to be able to have a forum like this to post on. I hope I have contributed something of value once in ahile. For the times I didn't, I apologize. I thank you for all your efforts. This is a great service to the building of a fan base and support of TROJAN ATHLETICS.

Second, I want to apologize to any TROJAN who may have taken offense at any post I have ever made on here. I don't really care if I offended any other teams obnoxious fans who came to our board to harass. And I'm not really concerned if I upset you aboutone of your 'other' State schools.
I can't recall ever posting anything I would consider offensive to an individual who was a TROJAN. I would encourage any who are interested to read every post I have made since joining in '04. You will see where my SUPPORT AND LOYALTY has always been.

I really appreciate and have grown in my support of TROY UNIVERSITY. I love this great STATE andUNIVERSITY and we all have a vested interest in seeing this program prosper.
Have a Blessed and wonderful year in 2009.
May God Bless each and everyone of you and your loved ones.
THANK YOU.
nasupporter

Take a break and come back man. To leave permanently because people on here decided to rag on Alabama doesn't really make sense to me. If I in any way contributed to this with my "channel changing" remark, I do apologize. I've used that term on many occasions and felt it applied there, I guess for lack of a better term. It being an open forum, you are entitled to your opinion, but so does everyone else. With so many differing opinions floating around, it's not likely you are always going to agree with everyone. I used to get mad about stuff on here too, now I just try to be level headed and give my side of the story without aggression (unless provoked otherwise, which isn't too often). As you have been a member of this forum for so long, I encourage you to continue being a valued member of the forum. The more posters like you we have, the better the forum will be.

GO TROY!

Discophobia
01-05-2009, 12:10 PM
It's just a board, dont be hypersensitive. Take a break and come back, I for one appreciate your support of TROY, however if you are looking for a board to discuss support for bamer or aubbie this isnt it. Try going over to the bamer or aubbie board and discussing how great Troy is and see what type response you get. In the old days DII it was the norm for people to be dual bamer or aubbie fans and then a Troy fan. It was kind of like rooting for your little brothers pee wee team, they werent at the same level and they never played you. I dont think you should be suprised that many of us on here dont share the TROY/Bamer or TROY/Aubbie dual fanship. We are a DI team and we compete for the same recruits and fans and we play them in most sports but they wont play us in football. We are TROY fans, period. I dont apologize for the fact that I support TROY and dont really care if bamer or aubbie win lose etc. Take a break come back and get in the discussion, if not see you at the Gallery and Go Trojans!